Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintama
I really am rootin for this guy to pull it off, but he needs to suck it up and maybe listen to a few of us. I've been driving for 13 years, I've dispatched, and I've been fooling around in a Brokerage since I was 17.
If Steve fails or succeeds will by by his own doing. I, just like many others, attempted to help him in his journey along the way, only to be met with sarcasm and insults. I could care less if he "pulls it off", hence the fact that he ignores me (as if he did anything else).

Quote:
Steeve seems to listen to GMAN, maybe he needs to come in and tell him why $1.60 a mile really isn't that great.
I'm sure GMAN has better things to do than help a "know it all" newbie trucker. :wink:

I don't mind helping Steve or anyone else who asks. While I would not want to go to California for $1.60/mile, it isn't my business. Everyone needs to decide for themselves what they are willing to run for and where. I haven't run his numbers, but if he can consistently average $1.60/mile with deadhead and have the miles to go with it, he can probably come out on the money. He won't be getting rich, but he can survive. Keep in mind that rates are down right now. In Steve's case, he doesn't have big equipment payments to worry about. That in itself enables him to haul some loads others could not do, if you look at the expenses. I am sure that Steve will get better rates with time. There are a lot of more experienced owners who are hauling for much less.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:51 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
You said I couldn't do it, I did. You said I wouldn't make, I am, AND I'M HAVING FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't remember anyone stating that. :roll:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
He won't be getting rich, but he can survive.
What is the point of doing it just to "survive"?

Quote:
In Steve's case, he doesn't have big equipment payments to worry about. That in itself enables him to haul some loads others could not do, if you look at the expenses.
Not having large equipment payments is no excuse for hauling cheap freight.

Quote:
I am sure that Steve will get better rates with time. There are a lot of more experienced owners who are hauling for much less.
That doesn't make it right.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Senior Board Member

>>He won't be getting rich, but he can survive.
>What is the point of doing it just to "survive?
He's livin' the dream, Rev.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Board Regular

De Ja Vue,

Steve is still pissing off the locals. I hope he keeps posting though. The way I see it he is gaining valuable experience. It might be coming at a cost, but that is his choice. The thing that I keep scratching my head about (De Ja Vue) is the pettiness of the bashing. Reminds me of some of those bad marriages where the only winners are the Lawyers. This is what happens when Egos, Vengence, Pride and Personalities are in the mix.

Best of Luck Steve, I hope you don't have to start yet another thread -- a bit of humility might help?
Old 12-20-2006, 04:35 PM
floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I hate to admit it but Steve and I have one thing in common, our hard heads.. lol!

Steve - do what makes you happy. If you can pay your bills at the rates your pulling for and your happy doing it, by all means keep on truckin'. Liked reading your first post and seeing your pictures very much, I hope you continue to post up updates as you go along.

Everyone else - I can see that you are just trying to help. For what its worth I bet Steve reads everything you have to say and keeps it in the back of his mind. I'm sure if the going gets tough he'll fall back on your words of wisdom. But for now I'm betting he's like me, one of those people who hell or highwater they are going to do it their way first. Think of it this way, its his party so let him host it as he pleases.

On the subject of cheap freight. You got to get your start somewhere, and this is how he is doing it. Just like a company driver, when you are new you don't get the .40+ cpm rates right off the bat. As time goes on he will learn how to get the higher paying loads. And if it wasn't him, it be someone else hauling cheap. Cheap freight won't go away, there are too many hungry drivers (and big companies) out there willing to haul for a buck (and even less!). And many on here who get the higher rates will tell you how "your hauling for too cheap", but refuse to share how they got there because this business is so cut throat (and I understand why you wouldn't want to share, believe me).

I don't know Steve at all, nor do I know any of you. But I've gotten my fair share of warnings on here, so I guess all I'm saying is I can relate on Steve's side and how he's going about doing things. Don't get butthurt if he "ingores you", some people just have to do it their way.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
do you pay attention to fuel tax in different states you run steve? just because the sign is cheaper doesn`t mean your not actually paying more when it comes to tax.
"It is much better to take Idaho fuel than phony-assed Oregon fuel. The Idaho fuel includes all the taxes. The Oregon fuel did not. Oregon feints with an attractive price at the pump, but then shoots an uppercut into the ton-mileage."

From the chapter where he rides along with a Chemical Tanker O/O in Uncommon Carriers by John McFee

I know CRE has a poster that color codes states by fuel tax friendliness.
OR is the worse.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Yup, oregon is the most expensive fuel in north america.

Where I'm from, when you figure out fuel tax, it's one of the cheapest. The problem is our fuel tax is so high. It's best getting fuel here, but driving in the states.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Aswego Trucking hauls freight from Fresno to Fontana for .79 cpm and and lives a really good life. New house, new Mercedes etc. If you think Steve is bringing rates down go talk to this guy and see how he puts you in your place.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:13 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If this guy is hauling freight driving someone else truck for $0.79, he is doing very well. If he is hauling freight in his own truck for that rate, the guy must be hauling other things in the truck to afford the lifestyle you are talking about. Anyone who hauls freight for that amount of money should be ashamed of themselves. ops: I don't do partials for that little. At that rate, he won't even cover his expenses.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:33 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
If this guy is hauling freight driving someone else truck for $0.79, he is doing very well. If he is hauling freight in his own truck for that rate, the guy must be hauling other things in the truck to afford the lifestyle you are talking about. Anyone who hauls freight for that amount of money should be ashamed of themselves. ops: I don't do partials for that little. At that rate, he won't even cover his expenses.
I would bet there is something illegal going on in that company. :wink:
Closed Thread