User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 03:15 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

By the way, ForcedInduction, you don't happen to drive for Fed-Ex, do you???

Old 10-05-2009, 03:36 AM
Rookie
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
Well, if the level sensor can detect blockage in the radiator, it is a very fantastic device.
As I said, "This is another all too common case of a driver knowing just enough about the engine to be hazardous."

Quote:
Translation, more money for the dealers. You know that as well as I do.
Actually, it means less money they have to spend on technicians attempting to diagnose and trace a problem. The sensors won't find the exact problem for them, but it will significantly narrow down the issue area. It also means much less reliance on the driver's observation of the problem.

Quote:
At one point, I had heard that the shop had them disconnected in all the trucks.
I would too if the drivers are found to be abusing it and causing damage. Its meant to "get to a safe location", not to "get a few more miles".

Quote:
Your post makes you sound like you might want to pick a fight.
No, my point was to point out that drivers don't know what they are doing when it comes to engines and mechanical failure diagnosis.

I don't try to tell drivers how to drive their trucks because I'm not a "professional driver", even though I can back a trailer into a hole better than most of the "professionals" that have come though my (former) shop.
The same goes for drivers; they see us turning a wrench, think "thats so easy", figure out what some senors do, buy a $30 harbor freight tool set and suddenly they are a master tech that can fix anything that goes wrong.

Mercedes 1982 300D VNT
OM617.952, GT2256V VNT turbo, Air-water intercooler
Old 10-05-2009, 03:59 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
I don't try to tell drivers how to drive their trucks because I'm not a "professional driver", even though I can back a trailer into a hole better than most of the "professionals" that have come though my (former) shop.
The same goes for drivers; they see us turning a wrench, think "thats so easy", figure out what some senors do, buy a $30 harbor freight tool set and suddenly they are a master tech that can fix anything that goes wrong.
My hat's off to you. I did not know your background.

But, then... You also do not know mine. Would you like a crankshaft set up in a lathe and ground to new specs? I don't have the equipment to balance it anymore, but I can check the balance for you. I can also "re-babbit" bearings for you. All you need to do is send me the old bearing cases and give me the exact specs of the journals they go on. Oh, yeah... These days, I'm limited to a 3" journal for bearings. Also, in the past, been known to make sleeve bearings for electric motors with journal sizes up to 17".

And, as to the tools from Harbor Freight... Better off to go to K-mart and get a set of Craftsman. In my experience, S-K holds up far better than Snap-On.

Also worked as an Electrical Engineer for 13 years. Would you like to know exactly how that level sensor is made? Or how about the "Boost Pressure Sensor"? You know, the one with the little crystal wafer in it?
No, the engine was not going to be damaged.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Senior Board Member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwalker View Post
my hat's off to you. I did not know your background.

But, then... You also do not know mine. Would you like a crankshaft set up in a lathe and ground to new specs? I don't have the equipment to balance it anymore, but i can check the balance for you. I can also "re-babbit" bearings for you. All you need to do is send me the old bearing cases and give me the exact specs of the journals they go on. Oh, yeah... These days, i'm limited to a 3" journal for bearings. Also, in the past, been known to make sleeve bearings for electric motors with journal sizes up to 17".

And, as to the tools from harbor freight... Better off to go to k-mart and get a set of craftsman. In my experience, s-k holds up far better than snap-on.

Also worked as an electrical engineer for 13 years. Would you like to know exactly how that level sensor is made? Or how about the "boost pressure sensor"? You know, the one with the little crystal wafer in it?
No, the engine was not going to be damaged.

lmao!!
Old 10-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Board Icon

Well, I do also have the equipment to check "run-out", and see if the journals are all turning "true", or if the crank has a slight curve to it. Can check it to within one tenth of a thousandth. Can also straighten it. However, I never got into the "SUBMERGED WELDING" to build it back up before grinding it back to original specs. I don't have a lot of faith in the "calibrated preheating" to 300 degrees to prevent internal fractures. I have tried electro-plating with chrome, then grinding it back, but the time spent in plating the surface, and the fuss with grinding chrome doesn't pay. Although, it does make for a journal surface that will probably last the next 100 years.

I've been driving a truck for 15 years. I'm old enough to retire, and will be doing so very soon. Do the math. I wasn't on welfare the first fifty years of my life. I did do something besides drive a truck to make a living.

So, I'm glad you enjoyed what you've read, repete, but actually, I was being very serious.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
Poetic justice???

About 15 miles beyond the construction zone, Fed-Ex puts on his 4-ways and pulls over onto the shoulder. Nothing on the CB, and he knew I was the truck behind him. Not knowing what he had in mind, I stopped behind him, stayed clear of between the trucks, and went up to his window.

"Problems?"
"My truck just shut down on me. I've tried to re-start a couple of times, and it just keeps shutting off."
"Check engine comes on, and engine protect comes on, then starts flashing when it shuts down?"
"Yeah."
Kudos to you for helping someone who wouldn't have done the same for you.