Old 10-04-2009, 04:03 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New hazmat requirements take effect for U.S. drivers in Canada

New hazmat requirements take effect for U.S. drivers in Canada
Attention, hazmat haulers hauling into Canada: The federal transportation ministry no longer accepts a hazardous materials endorsement as the sole evidence that a driver has completed necessary training.
Additional proof is now required in the form of a certificate of training, according to Transport Canada. These certificates, obtained at the completion of required training, must be available to show to inspectors, said Transport Canada Spokeswoman Maryse Durette.
“Canadian legislation requires that a person who handles, offers for transport, or transports dangerous goods be adequately trained and hold a training certificate. Their training certificate is their proof of training and must be provided to an inspector upon request,” Durette told Land Line on Thursday, Oct. 1.
The requirements for U.S. drivers are set out in section 6.3 of Part 6 of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations. There is no change for Canadian drivers, who are already required to carry a document as described in section 6.4 of the regulation.
The new regulation has begun with a six-month awareness program, which will end in March when full enforcement takes effect.
“Some enforcement personnel and some in the trucking industry are under the impression that the hazmat endorsement on the back of the hazmat carriers’ driver’s license meets American requirements that are equivalent to Canadian training requirements,” Durette said.
“If they do, these are acceptable. However, since U.S. drivers’ licenses are administered state-by-state, some states’ endorsements meet the Canadian standards; others do not. Similarly to Canadian drivers, a driver must carry a document that states that the individual has been trained according to CFR 49, which is the equivalent training required by Canadian legislation.”
– By David Tanner, staff writer
[email protected]
Old 10-04-2009, 01:26 PM

This is getting a tad bit silly. First there is the hazmat crap we have to go though. And the port stuff on top of that. Now those silly canucks want to add more crap. How about this we do not haul anymore into canada. And there drivers do not come down here either.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Ummmmmm. Here in the USA it is called HM126, and has been in effect since 1992.

Safety Management Systems : DOT HM 126F Course Description

DOT HM-126F

Course Length: 4 hours

CFR Reference: Title 49 CFR parts 171-180

Overview: This course will be introducing the student to the world of hazardous materials and how they must be handled for transportation. This course will give the student a general awareness along with some function specific training in reference to handling hazardous materials. It will explain how it is determined what is considered a hazardous material and how it must be handled for transportation for all modes of transportation. The course will further explain: the paperwork required for its transportation and how it must be handled; packaging required for the product; how the packaging must be marked and type markings required; along with requirements for loading and unloading such materials.
The course will also explain how to recognize markings and what they mean along with how they should be placed on the packaging. The student will also learn in a general way what to do in an emergency; understanding an "Emergency Response Guide Book" and how to use it.

Course Required by: Department of Transportation

Course Objectives: Upon completion of this training the student will be familiar with:
• Requirements to handle and transport and transport hazardous materials
• The classes of hazardous materials
• Requirements of hazardous material paperwork and packaging
• Significance of markings placed on hazardous materials containers and packages
• Proper handling of hazardous materials
• The penalties and consequences if proper handling is not followed
• Emergency plan and how to activate it if an incident were to occur
• Employee responsibility in regards to security of hazardous materials

Written Exam: Regulatory required with a minimum score of 70%. Incorrectly answered questions will be reviewed with student to ensure understanding before completion of course.
Students will be required to be able to identify placards/labels with the use of a Hazardous Materials Guidebook.

Retraining: Student is responsible for retraining every three years.

(The majority of Haz-Mat hauling companies provide certification classes upon hire, and recertification as it comes due.)

And I am betting that the Canadian regulation is being enacted, because the US governement has extended the HM126 requirement to Canadian drivers hauling into the US.

Last edited by Orangetxguy; 10-04-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Board Regular

What's the problem with carrying your training certificate? Carriers that do HM are required to train - make a copy of your certificate & carry it with the rest of your papers. Lot of folks I know carry their "Long Form DOT Med Exam" too. So it's a SLIGHT INCONVENIENCE - drop your HM endorsement and you won't have to worry about it (be a lot cheaper at renewal time, and you get your license (in most states) for 8 instead of 4 years).

What I'm curious about, is how INDEPENDENT O/O's get this training and what the costs for it are? I'm SURE it's not worth the additional insurance for an independent to even bother carrying this stuff - unless it's Class 1 for the government.

ANY TRAINING has got to be better than the class I sat through for the Longshoremans Union. "Run away and tell a supervisor" is essentially all they want you to do. If a TRUCKER tried that with a HM load that was compromised, I see a long jail sentence in HIS FUTURE.

Thanks for the HEADS UP GMan...

Rick
Old 10-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
What's the problem with carrying your training certificate? Carriers that do HM are required to train - make a copy of your certificate & carry it with the rest of your papers. Lot of folks I know carry their "Long Form DOT Med Exam" too. So it's a SLIGHT INCONVENIENCE - drop your HM endorsement and you won't have to worry about it (be a lot cheaper at renewal time, and you get your license (in most states) for 8 instead of 4 years).

What I'm curious about, is how INDEPENDENT O/O's get this training and what the costs for it are? I'm SURE it's not worth the additional insurance for an independent to even bother carrying this stuff - unless it's Class 1 for the government.

ANY TRAINING has got to be better than the class I sat through for the Longshoremans Union. "Run away and tell a supervisor" is essentially all they want you to do. If a TRUCKER tried that with a HM load that was compromised, I see a long jail sentence in HIS FUTURE.

Rick

Rick....First off. The HM126 card is about the size of a driver's license, and most companies issue them with your face shot on them, as proof of you being you.

As for that last statement. There are a lot of drivers out there (pulling HazMat) right now, whom ignore issues with their loads and equipment. They get in the truck, grasp ahold of the steering wheel, and look out the windshield. When they get into trouble with DOT, they take the victim mentality and blame others. issedoff: issedoff: issedoff: issedoff:
Old 10-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post

Rick

You need additional authority or certification to haul hazmat as a carrier. There are also additional insurance requirements. I never wanted to spend the extra money for the difference in rates plus the additional hassle of training and record keeping. I even dropped the hazmat endorsement off my drivers license when I renewed my CDL last year. If you cross the border with hazmat it is something that you should be aware. With the economy I would expect that Canada will be about as anxious as the U.S. to target trucks for additional revenue generation. Remember that Canada now requires speed limiters on trucks if you travel in some provinces. You always stand out a little more when you have placards on your trailer.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Makes me so happy that I have neither HazMat nor cross the border.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:12 PM

The hm126 class was a breeze, we did it over two days in a hotel in Jacksonville, The company put us up for two days, paid us a daily amount plus meals. The class was pretty basic stuff or at least it seemed to be for me. I would much rather know about Hazmat then having to sit and figure out how many holes I need to slide to get my trailer weight right. My card does not have my photo on it, just simply my name and company info, it sits in my wallet right next to my medical card & does not take up much space at all.
When I first got into hauling Hazmat I had some reservations as did my wife, however the longer I am in it the more I know this will be my last job, I will never pull anything other then a tanker again. It is just like driving in the mountains on snow covered roads, Know you're limits and have a huge amount of respect for what is in front of you, behind you, and under you. Common sense plays a large role as well.

Timberwolf