User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2009, 01:48 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Make that 5 trucks with bad coolant sensors, I've had problem's with both of mine and one is still pretty new. The first time I the lights came on I shut it down no problem and pulled the plug and stuck a short piece of wire in the plug and kept on cruising. then a year or so goes by and I've got a new truck with no problems right? Wrong, just started down a steep 4 mile grade and those damn lights come on. I never knew you ONLY have a few seconds! Stupid me forgot all about the overide switch so what do I do? Start slowing so I can pull in at a wide spot down the hill a ways Nope aint happening, I go and drop a gear and that's all she wrote. 50 MPH stuck in neutral and picking up speed quick! I'm so glad it was the "normal" load of aprox 20k I got on the brakes real hard and only missed the pull off by about 100 feet or less.
BTW when your engine quits and tranny's in neutral did you know there's NO power steering! Also no air compressor! HMMM gives ya something to think about
Old 10-04-2009, 03:06 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
That is... Until I was in the middle of a construction zone, with concrete barriers on both sides of one lane of travel. "Check engine" light came on, and right after that, "engine protect" also came on. When the "engine protect" starts flashing, the engine shuts down. Even before it did that, I was on the CB, broadcasting that my truck was shutting down on me in the middle of the construction zone. At 4 AM, in the dark, I did not see any kind of break in the barriers for me to coast it out of anybodies way. I put on my 4-ways and came to a stop.

[/SIZE]
Just curious about something, since you didn't mention it in your post...did you set up the reflective triangles up to a distance of 100-150 metres behind your truck ?
Old 10-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
The guy is simply a bad driver, a CB won't fix that.

That is the entire problem right there!! Mr. FedEx was so intent about listening to his music, and probably his lady or 3....that he failed to pay attention to the road in front of him.

Had he been paying attention, he would have noticed the closure rate between his truck and Windywalker's truck, was to great for Windy to be a moving truck.

Maybe I should get me some XM music huh??
Old 10-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymist View Post
Just curious about something, since you didn't mention it in your post...did you set up the reflective triangles up to a distance of 100-150 metres behind your truck ?
How did I know someone was going to bring that up?
The fact is, by the time I would have gotten my sidelocker open and made it about half way back alongside my trailer, Fed-Ex would have already been there. Either that, or when I was setting them up, he would have run me down. By the time I would have had them set up, I can have the coolant sensor unplugged, the hood closed, and have the truck moving again. No, I did not even begin to set them up.

The next thing you want to consider, in that situation, the more time you spend standing still, the more traffic there will be backing up, and the greater the chances that someone else will rear-end someone in front of them. The faster I can get out of there, the shorter the duration of the hazard.

If unplugging the coolant sensor would not have gotten me going, I would have had no choice but to set out the triangles and call for road service.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Board Icon

On a side note...

I do keep my CB on. No, I do not like all the crap on there anymore than the next guy. But, every now and then, I get a little bit of information that allows me to get off the road and onto a couple of secondary roads to get around a long back-up or other hazard. There are enough people making noises on it that I don't have to add anything to it, but when I'm having a problem that they need to know about, I would hope that at least SOMEONE is listening. They don't tell about where the bears are much anymore, and not much said about the chicken coups anymore. But let a 4-wheeler lose a tie-rod and roll in the middle of the road, and it gets pretty exciting.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Senior Board Member
Exclamation

Quote:
The fact is, by the time I would have gotten my sidelocker open and made it about half way back alongside my trailer, Fed-Ex would have already been there. Either that, or when I was setting them up, he would have run me down. By the time I would have had them set up, I can have the coolant sensor unplugged, the hood closed, and have the truck moving again. No, I did not even begin to set them up.

The next thing you want to consider, in that situation, the more time you spend standing still, the more traffic there will be backing up, and the greater the chances that someone else will rear-end someone in front of them. The faster I can get out of there, the shorter the duration of the hazard.

If unplugging the coolant sensor would not have gotten me going, I would have had no choice but to set out the triangles and call for road service.

:surrender:
Well...since you were in barricades, engine stopped...and trucks already stopping behind you....those triangles were safe and happy in their storage box.

All you could have really done, if unplugging the sensor didn't work, would have been to wait for state patrol cars, and a wrecker big enough to move you.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Board Regular

Quote:

49 CFR 392.22

(b)(1) General rule. Except as provided in paragraph (b)(2) of this section, whenever a commercial motor vehicle is stopped upon the traveled portion or the shoulder of a highway for any cause other than necessary traffic stops, the driver shall, as soon as possible, but in any event within 10 minutes, place the warning devices required by § 393.95 of this subchapter, in the following manner:

At any rate - he had 10 minutes to put flares/triangles out, had he not been able to resolve the problem so quickly...

Rick
Old 10-04-2009, 09:01 PM

0400, stopped in the right lane on the freeway with his hazards on and all anyone had to say was to increase his vocabulary of four letter words? That's pathetic. The only thing coming out of people's mouths should have been "Are you alright driver?" It's not like he's stopped in the right lane in the dark with his flashers on because he just felt like it.

As far as the CB vs radio thing goes I'll admit they are of use at a shipper, but otherwise having it on often leads one to doubt the theory of evolution. Listening to other drivers cursing out others while they are passing in the right lane (exit only) in a construction zone exceeding the posted speed limit or cursing at a truck for pulling over from the right line that has had signs saying the lane ends for a mile or more is just pointless. Add to that the blatant racism and other stupidity broadcast over the cb and it doesn't give people much of a reason to want it on. That's sad as there are many drivers out there who actually have something to offer, and it is always nice to know you've got a couple of deer grazing on the side of the road up ahead.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Rookie

Quote:
That is... Until I was in the middle of a construction zone, with concrete barriers on both sides of one lane of travel. "Check engine" light came on, and right after that, "engine protect" also came on. When the "engine protect" starts flashing, the engine shuts down. Even before it did that, I was on the CB, broadcasting that my truck was shutting down on me in the middle of the construction zone.
while I unplugged the coolant level sensor
Yes, the truck kept on running, and it was a couple of miles out of the construction zone.
Then, as I got up to my speed, I gained on him but when I tried to pass him
The truck was running smooth again.

About 15 miles beyond the construction zone, Fed-Ex puts on his 4-ways and pulls over onto the shoulder. Nothing on the CB, and he knew I was the truck behind him. Not knowing what he had in mind, I stopped behind him, stayed clear of between the trucks, and went up to his window.

"Problems?"
"My truck just shut down on me. I've tried to re-start a couple of times, and it just keeps shutting off."
"Check engine comes on, and engine protect comes on, then starts flashing when it shuts down?"
"Yeah."

I opened his hood, unplugged the coolant sensor, then told him to start it up. "Engine protect isn't on anymore"
Poetic justice? No, that was a driver (you) demonstrating very poor judgment by bypassing engine protection equipment, ignoring that the engine is in need of repair and then hammering the SOB! That is exactly how engines are ruined by drivers.

The right choice would have been to pull the sensor, ease it out of the construction zone and stopping in the first safe location.

Quote:
"Mine did the same thing back in the construction zone. I tried to let others know on the CB, and put my 4-ways on. No other choice."
You DID have a choice about what to do after. You chose to put the engine at risk of destruction just to chase the other driver down and say "haha, hows it feel buddy?"

This is another all too common case of a driver knowing just enough about the engine to be hazardous. It doesn't matter if its a Freightliner and the sensor has failed 200 times before, this could have been the one time your engine had a leak and genuinely bleeding out its coolant. Being in an "emergency" situation, I know you didn't take the time to check all the hoses, the engine and radiator for signs of leakage, check the radiator for blockage or correct the coolant level.

They put "engine protect" on the dash and auto-shutdown for damn good reasons, to protect the engine from drivers who ignore very obvious signs of impending engine damage and continue to push it. :thumbsdown:
If your engine did stop, you either didn't know about the shutdown override button on the dash (installed for situations exactly like yours where shutdown would put the drivers safety at risk) or used it to the point the engine wouldn't allow it any more.

Mercedes 1982 300D VNT
OM617.952, GT2256V VNT turbo, Air-water intercooler

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 10-04-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:08 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
Poetic justice? No, that was a driver (you) demonstrating very poor judgment by bypassing engine protection equipment, ignoring that the engine is in need of repair and then hammering the SOB! That is exactly how engines are ruined by drivers.
And, if your statement was as accurate as you, obviously, think it is, the shop would have complained to management, and I would have been fired by now. Even in the dark, using a flashlight to see exactly what I was looking at, I was able to see that the coolant level was a full 2 inches above the sensor. Above the "MAX COLD LEVEL". I do have a container of mixed anti-freeze to be able to add if the level should go down. It was not a problem with the level, only the sensor circuit.

Back when I had a foreign liquid floating on top of the coolant, I DID shut it down and call in. It turned out to be fuel. Give me just a little bit of credit? No, the engine was NOT damaged. I've rebuilt engines in the past. I'm well aware of the damage that can be caused by a lack of coolant. I am also quite capable of determining if the coolant level is a problem.

Quote:
The right choice would have been to pull the sensor, ease it out of the construction zone and stopping in the first safe location.
Again, this WOULD HAVE BEEN THE RIGHT CHOICE, IF THE COOLANT LEVEL WAS A PROBLEM. THE LEVEL WAS FINE.

Quote:
You DID have a choice about what to do after. You chose to put the engine at risk of destruction just to chase the other driver down and say "haha, hows it feel buddy?"
You make it sound like I KNEW his engine was going to do the same thing. If my ESP is that good, WHY CAN'T I WIN THE POWERBALL JACKPOT???

Quote:
This is another all too common case of a driver knowing just enough about the engine to be hazardous. It doesn't matter if its a Freightliner and the sensor has failed 200 times before, this could have been the one time your engine had a leak and genuinely bleeding out its coolant. Being in an "emergency" situation, I know you didn't take the time to check all the hoses, the engine and radiator for signs of leakage, check the radiator for blockage or correct the coolant level.
Well, if the level sensor can detect blockage in the radiator, it is a very fantastic device. That would rank it right up there with "STAR TREK's SENSORS". We do need a few of them on our trucks. And, any leakage in the engine or hoses would have shown up as a low level in the plastic tank mounted to the firewall. You know, the one where you are able to see the level of the coolant inside, in daylight, or at night with a flashlight. It makes it far more convenient than taking the cap off and looking inside a metal tank, or the radiator itself. That plastic tank makes it easy to check the level each pretrip, post trip, and anytime I open the hood in between. The level was fine.

Quote:
They put "engine protect" on the dash and auto-shutdown for damn good reasons, to protect the engine from drivers who ignore very obvious signs of impending engine damage and continue to push it. :thumbsdown:
And, the more they can dream up to put into the system, the more you have to fail and shut you down, the more reasons you have to look for repairs... Translation, more money for the dealers. You know that as well as I do.:moon:

Quote:
If your engine did stop, you either didn't know about the shutdown override button on the dash (installed for situations exactly like yours where shutdown would put the drivers safety at risk) or used it to the point the engine wouldn't allow it any more.
Funny about that "over-ride". Anytime, in the past, that I have tried to use it, it did absolutely nothing. I have no idea which system it's supposed to override. At one point, I had heard that the shop had them disconnected in all the trucks. Never asked if that was true or not.

Your post makes you sound like you might want to pick a fight. If I were inclined to go along with that, I'd tell you what part of your anatomy was made of paper, but I won't.