User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2009, 02:45 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default You stupid son of a ......

It didn't end there. I think I learned a few new swear words this trip.

I was looking forward to this one. It's the first time I've been up to the Twin Cities in a while. Since the bridge collapsed, for that matter. First stop in TN, second one in Cleveland, OH, then on to the Cities. The northern latitudes are getting frost at night, and since the company put me into a new(er) truck, I have not been having any trouble with it.

That is... Until I was in the middle of a construction zone, with concrete barriers on both sides of one lane of travel. "Check engine" light came on, and right after that, "engine protect" also came on. When the "engine protect" starts flashing, the engine shuts down. Even before it did that, I was on the CB, broadcasting that my truck was shutting down on me in the middle of the construction zone. At 4 AM, in the dark, I did not see any kind of break in the barriers for me to coast it out of anybodies way. I put on my 4-ways and came to a stop.

I had the hood unlatched and was in front of the truck, pulling on the hood when the headlights came up behind my truck. The way they came up, I began to step back. When they came to a stop, I went back to pulling the hood open. As I got around to the driver's side steer tire, this guy came alongside my trailer, broadening my education in 4-letter words. He finished with: "...Completely insane to stop in the dark, in a construction zone, with no way around you."

"Fine", I said. "So, send my truck to the loony bin." And, I pretty much ignored him while I unplugged the coolant level sensor and prayed that my truck would now keep running. By the time I got the truck running, closed the hood, and got it in gear, 3 more trucks were lined up behind me, and one of the drivers was throwing even more of those popular 4-letter words into the air.

Yes, the truck kept on running, and it was a couple of miles out of the construction zone. Then, Fed-Ex was the first to pass me while I tried to pick up speed. Yup, he was the first one behind me. Then, as I got up to my speed, I gained on him but when I tried to pass him, he'd swing from one lane into the other in front of me. His underwear must have been black from the scorch, and his collar must have been smoldering. I backed off and relaxed. The truck was running smooth again.

Poetic justice???

About 15 miles beyond the construction zone, Fed-Ex puts on his 4-ways and pulls over onto the shoulder. Nothing on the CB, and he knew I was the truck behind him. Not knowing what he had in mind, I stopped behind him, stayed clear of between the trucks, and went up to his window.

"Problems?"
"My truck just shut down on me. I've tried to re-start a couple of times, and it just keeps shutting off."
"Check engine comes on, and engine protect comes on, then starts flashing when it shuts down?"
"Yeah."

I opened his hood, unplugged the coolant sensor, then told him to start it up. "Engine protect isn't on anymore"

"Mine did the same thing back in the construction zone. I tried to let others know on the CB, and put my 4-ways on. No other choice."

He said he was sorry about how he reacted. He was listening to XM, not the CB, and saw my 4-ways on, but thought I was just moving slower. By the time he realized I was stopped, it was a split second from being too late. How did I know to unplug the coolant sensor? The other truck was doing that to me all the time. This is the first time this truck has done it. But, now I know of 3 trucks that have the same problem. And, all 3 of them are freightliners... I think I'm losing faith in Mexican Quality.

But, it made me think about all the drivers that I hear saying they don't even have the CB on. They're all listening to XM instead. Is the XM REALLY ALL THAT IMPORTANT? What's the potential cost to you the one time you don't pay attention to something on the CB?

As hard as Fed-Ex stood on the brakes, if he could not have stopped, the only things that would have been hurt were: The front of his truck. The back of my truck (And, I think mine would have fared far better than his). His pride. And, his job. I know of a few former drivers that turned off the CB, and turned up the stereo. I guess, in a way, you could say that the stereo cost them their jobs. They didn't find out about something in the road in front of them until it was too late because the stereo was more important.

I've already told the shop foreman about nearly getting rear-ended in a construction zone. Maybe, this time, with this truck, they'll actually try to fix the problem. (We need a "fingers crossed" smiley.):whistle:Did I say that???

Old 10-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Board Regular
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I knew it was going to be a Freightliner when you said it was the coolant sensor.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
He said he was sorry about how he reacted. He was listening to XM, not the CB, and saw my 4-ways on, but thought I was just moving slower.

But, it made me think about all the drivers that I hear saying they don't even have the CB on. They're all listening to XM instead. Is the XM REALLY ALL THAT IMPORTANT? What's the potential cost to you the one time you don't pay attention to something on the CB?

Sorry Windwalker but I have to disagree with you on the importance of a CB. When I was driving I very seldom had the CB turned on. About the only time was when I was around the warehouse. Way to much nonsense on the CB for me.

kc0iv
Old 10-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Senior Board Member

I usually only turn my cb on when the weather is bad, traffic is heavy or if I see another one of our drivers.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I usually keep my CB either turned down or off. Most of the time I just keep it down so that I can still hear if something is going on. It is unfortunate that we have so much garbage on our CB's that many of us don't want to keep the volume up.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Senior Board Member

When I was Swift, I never thought of getting a CB until shortly before the accident when I finally decided I wanted to keep driving.

Then when I was with that container company in Montebello, CA, the cb equipped on the bucket I was driving only came in handy once I got out of the LA County region in general.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Senior Board Member

The guy is simply a bad driver, a CB won't fix that.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Board Regular

I couldn't imagine driving w/o my CB. I sure can't stand the foul-mouth, noise maker, loud roger beep, music playing idiots on the two-way, but my CB has saved my butt and I helped many others numerous times. Plus, how many customers have I been to that have an assigned channel for communicating in their yard? What are you going to do at a Wal-Mart DC when your assigned dock already has a trailer in it? Drive/Walk back and forth to the gate shack/receiving office to get another door?

You got to love/hate the CB.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Senior Board Member

I can't drive without my cb neither.. i hate some of the nonsense that goes on 19 but it has provided more help than pain so far in my short career
Old 10-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
The guy is simply a bad driver, a CB won't fix that.
Roger that, good buddy . . and rude, too . .