User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Some advice needed plz

I need advice. Up until I needed a tow for my truck I never had a problem in the two years I have been with this company. I misjudged the edge of the pavement and the truck slipped off the pavement and the drives dug into the gravel shoulder. I realize this was my fault and I accept responsibility. I was due to be home on this day for my husband's surgery in Mo. but instead I was in Wi. I was off for 10 days. Never heard anything about this. All I was asked was were the police involved which they were not. I come back on the road and given a load which in itself was weird the way I was told to run it but I didn't complain. After the load I was told "there are no loads in the Indianapolis area to dead-head to Gary for a load. I pointed out that I needed a PM anyway so it was arranged to have it done there. (my home terminal is in Marshfield, Wi)
Next day truck is ready, I call my DSR to tell her truck is ready do I have a load.
I am told that first I had to speak to the Gary terminal manager about the tow and then I would go on my load. I thought fine.
I go to the manager and he brings me into a room where I sit down at a table. He places a paper in front on me as he is calling my DSR on the phone to have her in on the conversation. At the same time I start to read the letter where it states the events leading to the need of the tow in error. It read that I "failed to park the truck on secure pavement" resulting in the need for a tow. They are making it sound like I purposely drove the truck off the pavement and had the entire truck on soft ground. Also in the letter it stated "consider this your last chance." I never had any other issues with this company. Never had any verbal warning of any kind for anything and now it's straight to this is your last chance.
When I told them I disagreed with the wording and tried to defend myself I was told that it was obvious I didn't want to "work" with them and therefore they are terminating me that day. There was no reasoning with them.
My husband's surgery was due to an injury my husband received on the job when we teamed. W/C denied his claim which required him to get an attorney.
So should I tell future companies I apply to that I was fired or should I just say I left?
I was denied unemployment because they said I fired for misconduct leading to insubordination.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Senior Board Member

I would just say you quit and if questioned about it, lay it just like you did in your post. What ever you do do not bad mouth them or dwell on it! Most people with half a brain would see that you worked there without a problem for 2 years. I would also check out your DAC
Old 07-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Rookie

Thank you repete.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Senior Board Member

If Roehl terminated you then that is what I would put on the application. You can always explain your side of the story to a perspective employer. But if you say on your application "I quit Roehl" But Roehl says "We fired her for this reason......" then it looks like you are lying. But if you come clean and say "Hey I worked there for 2 years without a problem but I messed up and needed a tow and I got canned over it". Honesty is the best policy.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
If Roehl terminated you then that is what I would put on the application. You can always explain your side of the story to a perspective employer. But if you say on your application "I quit Roehl" But Roehl says "We fired her for this reason......" then it looks like you are lying. But if you come clean and say "Hey I worked there for 2 years without a problem but I messed up and needed a tow and I got canned over it". Honesty is the best policy.
A Big X 2!!

Old 07-17-2009, 12:01 AM
Rookie

Well we've just started looking for another company to team with and I have told them the truth. I'm waiting now what their safety department will say.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Rookie
Default Made my day

I was watching a show called Wrecked. It's about a towing company out of Chicago, Ill. and to my pleasure it had a piece about towing a Roehl truck and trailer that got stuck in the snow up against a pole and by a ditch at a receiver. I wonder how that got passed Rick. At least my tow wasn't televised on national TV.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Rookie

Im sorry that they fired you, but look on the bright side. Now you can find a better company. I worked for Roehl, and the best thing that ever happened to me was quitting. I quit without having another job because I couldnt take any more disrespect from them. I found a great job in no time. Every time God closes one door, he opens another.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Senior Board Member

I was terminated from my last gig...the company where i applied and now work was only

concerned if i was terminated over a rear end collision or a rollover....other than that they

seemed to care less about my DAC and they hired me.

Most companies will hear your side of the story.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:15 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipy46 View Post
I was terminated from my last gig...the company where i applied and now work was only

concerned if i was terminated over a rear end collision or a rollover....other than that they

seemed to care less about my DAC and they hired me.

Most companies will hear your side of the story.
Who you work for in case I ever get canned I'll know who to apply with?