User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Nonnewbie but dont know where else it should go

I quit truckign a few years ago. and a few years before that. And a .. well u get it. Last year i was a bedbugger. Actually liked the job, but the way that industry treats employees is horrendous. I'm getting back in because i finally figured out .. i'm a trucker. I cant stand working with/for dumbasses/backstabbers/whiners/lazy idiots and like a job where my results determine my pay. End of rant.

Anyway my buddy is a lease driver with a year left on his lease and wants me to team with him. He trained me 10 years ago or so agao and we're tight so we'll endure each other. But how does the money usually work in this situation? It just occurred to me tonight that he might be thinking some kind of independant contractor thing.. but then again youre working for the main company so im a bit confused about this. A grand a week is great unless youre forking out all the taxes employers have to pay, doing quarterly statements etc. Any thoughts?
Old 07-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Senior Board Member

You need to ask him! It could go either way payroll check or 1099. you never know what someones thinking he could be figuring .25 per mile for all mi. or just for your miles so you really need to ask him. Also ask about home time, health care ect ect.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Board Regular

Talked to him today and he's doing percentage. upside is straight up $$$ every week. Downside of course is handling all my own tax bs. I think theres still a self employment tax too etc. Giant pita. It's under an umbrella company so i imagine healthcare etc benefits. Im not going anywhere without good healthcare as im getting older and starting to actually need it. About a grand a week but thats before taxes. Thanks for the reply repete
Old 07-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Board Icon

Can't really answer your question CD without some more specific info... but, team driving means you get half the mileage pay for ALL miles driven by the "team." This would not be a good deal if you're still bedbugging, but... I think you are doing regular team driving now. I don't know how an I/C pays when he is part of the team, but... I work for an I/C who is leased to FedEx and he pays "the truck" a fair wage that we split. He takes out taxes and I get a W-2... not a 1099.

I don't get any bennies like insurance. I don't know what other TEAM companies offer, but... usually you get plenty of miles.

A grand a week is good IF you also get adequate hometime. Any TEAM company that wants you to run hard for 2-3 weeks at a time, and then only gives you a couple of days at home is B.S. I don't care WHAT they pay!

But, like someone said. If you KNOW this guy... call him and ASK him (not us) what the deal is.

Good luck. It does sound like a good way to get back in a truck, and after a few years, you can move on if you think you need to.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Board Icon

I posted AFTER your last post. Big question is... WHO is he leased to? I worked for a small company once (solo) who paid a percentage of the load. It was usually quite a bit LIGHT (if you know what I mean.) If I ever had to do it again (1099) I would require at least $1200 to cover taxes.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post

A grand a week is good IF you also get adequate hometime. .
Are you kidding!!? $1000. a week to drive as a team driver AND pay your own taxes? And NO BENNIES? Even if thats out and back every other day a grand is on the CHEAP side.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
Are you kidding!!? $1000. a week to drive as a team driver AND pay your own taxes? And NO BENNIES? Even if thats out and back every other day a grand is on the CHEAP side.
You didn't read my last post, but you DID correctly point out that I was not too clear originally. I meant a grand wasn't too bad (for any driver) as long as someone ELSE took care of the taxes (paid the employer share.)

Some of us make a little more, but... just getting back in you can't expect alot more than a grand. MANY drivers make less.

I might also agree that even what I make is not really enough with no bennies, but... I use the V.A. and am relatively healthy and don't have a family to insure. I get OTHER bennies from this job that are more important to me than insurance. ONE is almost guaranteed hometime every weekend for 2 days. Another is a fast truck and no one telling me to go to X truck stop and buy Y gallons of fuel. There are others. Someday I may get serious about finding a job with better bennies (like retirement,) but then I'll probably have to start doing REAL work! LOL.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:49 PM

golfhobo, glad you have VA. for your good heath. dont plan on someone paying for your retirement, you need to invest in your self, do it today dont care if its just 5% of your pay. put it in investments. every pay ck every month. i invest 13% of my income evry month into stocks, ect.., i pay my invesment taxses upfront, dont trust the gov. not to have 50% tax rate when i retire
Old 07-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogBook View Post
golfhobo, glad you have VA. for your good heath. dont plan on someone paying for your retirement, you need to invest in your self, do it today dont care if its just 5% of your pay. put it in investments. every pay ck every month. i invest 13% of my income evry month into stocks, ect.., i pay my invesment taxses upfront, dont trust the gov. not to have 50% tax rate when i retire
Very good and sound advice my new friend. A little history on me though... I lost a lot of money (or at least many years of investment income) from a failed business I started when I was about 30 or so. I was 48 before I gave up and got lucky enough to get into trucking. Here I am about 7 years later, and I am just about to pay off ALL my debts. I have a little in savings, but NOW I am going into overdrive on planning for my retirement. I am pretty sure I've waited too late... but, my DAD didn't get started MUCH earlier than this... and he is now pretty well fixed.

I figure I will need to keep driving/working until I'm 70... but, I wouldn't cry if I could retire earlier. I want to buy my own truck someday, but I'm in no real hurry right now. I figure I MIGHT be half as smart as GMAN by the time I'm 60. That leaves me with 10 years (if necessary) to make more money than I have to date as a company driver. As I get older, I hope to be able to pick the loads I want to run and maximize my pay for doing so. AFTER I "retire," I expect to still have my truck and a trailer or two, and be able to supplement my retirement income IF I still need to (and probably will.)

Sometime, late this year, I will start looking into stock or bond investments with the amount of my savings that I don't figure I need for "contingencies."

I doubt I'll retire with a yacht... but, maybe the old boat will still float and I can have a place to live. Let's all "pray" that the economy improves and things will be a bit easier when we are old and decrepit. 13% of my pay won't do it. I must keep expenses low so that I can invest/save close to 25% of net income.

I'm gonna get started just as SOON as I get this boat in the water! LOL!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Senior Board Member

I got ya! I just misuderstood, It's unbelievable how low the pay is for some driveing jobs. I lucked out with my job I just happened to be M/T in NJ when the prevous driver had another accident and the job opened up. If dispatch knew the stop was just a few miles from my home I'm sure I would be paid less! I was smart enough to keep that to myself , after a few months I got a call and was asked "aren't you ever going home"? I'm there every night and loveing it!
Hobo, 25% will add up quick, glad to hear thats the plan. Is your new (to you) boat part of your portfolio? LOL!