User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

There is no 'safe haven' rule ...

if you are out of hours...the truck cannot go.

Companies say its 'ok' to find a safe haven if the drop causes this to occur......

but when I ask them in orientation to show me this in the company handbook or the DOT regs...

they oddly avoid my question like a case of the herpes!

Haaaa !
Old 05-25-2009, 04:43 PM

Right, break the law to make the money, that's what America is all about !!!

Think Dick Cheney rigging the oil markets with Kissinger so they and Exxon could make trillions for themselves and their clients while destroying the entire world economy.

Hey if corruption is all right with you guys, it is all right with me, maybe we should all join the Mexican drug cartels and start pulling dope along with our loads too !!!
Old 05-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Senior Board Member

David Icke should speak on this...he will set it all straight
Old 05-25-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrange View Post
That's a great sermon. Do you preach on the side?

I don't know his state of mind that day, but at least four of those falsifications had nothing to do with it. I do know this, you have never driven tired and I commend you for that.

I guess you never had a day when you were poking along, stopping every hour to check the internet or trim your eyebrows, and then later you just drew one line across as if you had driven four or five hours straight. In fact, you aren't like all the people Rutherford was talking about at all. If you get to a consignee seven hours before unloading, by golly you go some place and wait 10 hours before driving again. You are great.

I totally admire guys who fill out their logs by looking down at their wris****ch instead of taking their calculators and dividing the miles by a legal speed and drawing that. Of course, that's the way I do it...
Ram it, Cowboy. I never said I was perfect or did no wrong. What I did say was I did not cheat or fudge my logs. For those of us who can add, subtract, multiply and divide it it not that hard. For those like you who can't it may be tough. And yeah, I did have those days where I was friggin tired and had trouble keeping my eyes open, guess what, I pulled over and stopped the 75,000 LB missle I was guiding.

Being honest isn't hard, for you it may be since you have a developed a habit of not being that way. You are the problem with the indusrty, thinking it is OK with running long, fudging your logs, and putting others at risk for a few pennies a mile. Until you and those like you are gone from the industry, it will continue to attract slime and scum, and will continue to condone illegal activity.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Senior Board Member

I had this thought that the drivers should form a union to protect themselves...

then I realized we would only be ridden harder....

swindled out of our labor... laid off and ultimately lose everything...

in the meanwhile all the union bosses would walk away rich as hell.

What a world
Old 05-25-2009, 04:54 PM

There is nothing straight in America any more, just like the log book versus no log books in this business, everything is completely screwed up everywhere !!!!

One day things may change and get better for this business and for drivers also, but for someone like me considering it as a career, it sure looks like a suck arse option at the moment.

PS: Zipy, deregulation of the industry ruined the unions and ruined it for drivers, this was another scam engineered by union busting Republican low life's like Reagan and the rest of the Nixon gang (Bush, Cheney, Kissinger) who have succeeded in destroying the entire world economy too !!!

Last edited by avc; 05-25-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Senior Board Member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by avc View Post
There is nothing straight in America any more, just like the log book versus no log books in this business, everything is completely screwed up everywhere !!!!

One day things may change and get better for this business and for drivers also, but for someone like me considering it as a career, it sure looks like a suck arse option at the moment.

PS: Zipy, deregulation of the industry ruined the unions and ruined it for drivers, this was another scam engineered by union busting Republican low life's like Reagan and the rest of the Nixon gang (Bush, Cheney, Kissinger) who have succeeded in destroying the entire world economy too !!!
They are republicans...it is in their nature to do that.

They live in a trickle up universe...all the money flows upwards...towards them

...Something to do with the 'laws of attraction'

Last edited by zipy46; 05-25-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:05 PM

If it were up to Bush and his daddy, you guys would be working for .15 cents a mile with no benefits !!!
Old 05-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Board Icon

Orangetxguy said:

Quote:
Yet another article about this accident, and one that explains in greater detail why the NTSB has recommended the charges.
Where's the LINK???? Oh, and.... I don't think the NTSB recommended any charges. The Fed prosecutor and the grand jury did.

Quote:
Something I find disturbing, is the lack of the NTSB to clarify what the 78 year old school bus driver was doing, while the school band was performing in it's day long competition.
Without seeing the bus driver's logs, it is hard to tell if he was HOS compliant... yet with no actual mention of it, I assume he was. However, the articles clearly stated that this 78 yr old man (IMHO too old to be driving commercially) had not slept for 19 hours! An OLD MAN.... without even a nap in 19 hours??? And driving at 2 in the morning??? Without wearing the glasses required on his driver's license? I wouldn't get on THAT bus!

Quote:
What do you all think. Do you think that the bus driver had adequate rest before he drove that bus towards the home school district?
Absolutely NOT! But, unfortunately.... I agree with the NTSB that that factor probably had nothing to do with the accident.

Quote:
Or do you think maybe the bus driver watched most of the competition, as I have seen numerous bus drivers do over the years, then drove the bus westward into a fatal accident?
Very possibly. However, to clear up a thing you assumed earlier on.... this was a CHARTER bus... not a SCHOOL bus. The driver may not even be from the area. IF this was an all day event, oftentimes bus drivers are taken to local hotels for a restbreak. I don't think this driver DID... and may not have needed it for his HOS. But, somehow.... he had not slept in 19 hours, was driving late into the night, and was too old to pull that off safely.

Quote:
I find this statement from the NTSB, hard to understand;
Quote:
The absence of lighting on the semitrailer truck and Rasmus' use of low-beam headlights made it difficult for him to see the overturned truck, the NTSB said. But his early problems with cataracts -- a key defense argument at the criminal trial -- most likely didn't affect the outcome of the crash, the NTSB said.
The NTSB also said that the bus, owned by Chippewa Trails, had out-of-adjustment brakes, but that probably didn't contribute to the accident.

Not sure which part confuses you. The truck was lying probably on its right side with cab near median. This shows the black - UNLIT - undercarriage of the trailer to the busdriver. I've seen these a few times myself, and they are like invisible at night!

As for his cataract problem (which MAY have been corrected but not changed on his license,) they DID say he was supposed to be wearing his glasses, but maybe his vision had been corrected. Regardless.... what the NTSB is saying is that, although there were other "factors" like the eyesight and the bad brakes, NEITHER of these factors contributed to, nor could have prevented, the accident. That's just kinda how they cover all bases.

Quote:
And...I really don't buy this arguement from the defense attorney either;
Neither do I! Where's that link?

As Lowrange pointed out after reading your earlier links.... this driver was "out there." If you don't have time to touch a logbook for 5 days.... you are pushing it WAY too much! Apparently, he had time to do some line 5 the night before (not sure if they mean more than 24 hours before..) but not to even ATTEMPT to fabricate some logs???

Under those conditions, I don't care WHAT that bus driver's condition was... I can't believe the trucker got OFF on the manslaughter type charges!!

Note also that this driver was only about 22 at the time of the accident. Barely old enough to drive INTERSTATE commerce! Couldn't have been driving for very long!

There ya go, AVC..... I guess he really, really needed a job and had that special "work ethic" you were talking about!

I bet Whole Foods, facing multiple civil lawsuits, are taking names of seasoned VETS they can fire to make room for new drivers with better "work ethics" right NOW! :lol2:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:07 PM

Yeah Ghobo, I'm 50 yesterday !

Who taught the young kid to cook his log books ???