User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 02:55 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

. . or to drop off a Tcall . . without a scale ticket . .
Old 05-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Don't forget all the local laws in addition to the state laws. My NY CCW is valid in all counties of NY EXCEPT NYC! To possess a handgun in NYC you need speciel permission from the chief of police and you have to show a need to have it!(like going there isn't enough)also I live in Rochester and have seveal magizines that are illegal (hi-cap) no one ever says anything about them BUT what if I had to use a gun and it just happened to have a restricted 15 round mag in it?
How many questions are the cops going to ask you after you shoot someone? Even if your in your sleeper you would more than likly be held over for a grand jury and thats just for the criminal side you can bet YOU and YOUR company are going to get sued big time by some shyster type lawyer.

But even with all that in mind there's times I would find have one with comforting
Old 05-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

One thing that I recall around the time I was looking into some of these CCW laws is I pulled into a scale in NY and asked him about whether they would bother someone who has a CCW from another state. He told me that if the driver told him about it and he had a CCW from another state that he would not do anything. I was told this after another officer told me the opposite. There are times when you are at the mercy of the discretion of the officer to whom you are talking. In checking the state law in New York they don't recognize CCW permits from other states. I am sure you can find the same in MA, CA or any of the other communist states. If you get an officer who has common sense and perhaps does some hunting then he could be more sympathetic than one who doesn't. There are some who will bring out the rule book and follow it religiously. Others have a general understanding and as long as you are polite and not doing anything you shouldn't then they won't bother you. Another thing I found is that many of these military bases follow state law when dealing with civilians. And not all military bases will allow you to give them your weapon and pick it up as you leave. Most will, but it is not required. They can prohibit you from entering the base with a gun in your truck.

I think it would be better if anyone who wants to carry a gun could do so without interference from law enforcement. That is pretty much the way things were when I grew up. Many people kept concealed guns on their person. I don't remember even hearing about having to get a CCW. Apathy from those of us who believe in a constitutional government has allowed this to happen.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:42 PM

"Legal" or not is one thing. But the OP asked about company policies. If your company says "no guns" on company property or in their trucks, would you still carry one?
Old 05-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If company policy states that no guns are allowed on company property then the driver is risking his job if he has one in his truck or on his person.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
Don't forget all the local laws in addition to the state laws. My NY CCW is valid in all counties of NY EXCEPT NYC! To possess a handgun in NYC you need speciel permission from the chief of police and you have to show a need to have it!(like going there isn't enough)also I live in Rochester and have seveal magizines that are illegal (hi-cap) no one ever says anything about them BUT what if I had to use a gun and it just happened to have a restricted 15 round mag in it?
How many questions are the cops going to ask you after you shoot someone? Even if your in your sleeper you would more than likly be held over for a grand jury and thats just for the criminal side you can bet YOU and YOUR company are going to get sued big time by some shyster type lawyer.

But even with all that in mind there's times I would find have one with comforting

If you're in the confines of a sleeper - WHY would you need 15 rounds anyway? I practice at least 3X a year with ALL my carry pieces - to make sure I can HIT what I'm trying to, without endangering some innocent bystander - AND I'm 1 inch groups with my S&W 99 and Beretta Cougar & Beretta 900S at 25 yards (all in .40 - best round going - Corbon Super High Velocity ammo). So, unless you're looking for ADDITIONAL trouble - I'd stick to legal mag size (and just carry more than one - every once in awhile when things are especially crazy locally, I've been known to strap a 2nd mag holder onto my belt).

Likewise - if you're in a Komunist State (NY, NJ, Ma, CA, etc.) and you're NOT LEGAL to have a gun IN the passenger compartment - if you have to pop someone - in legal self-defense - you'll still come under scrutiny for having a piece in the first place - though a legal self-defense shoot will not likely end you up in front of a judge (for the shoot itself).

Florida (and many other states) have laws which PRECLUDE someone you shot, while in the commission of a felony, from seeking civil damages against you. In fact, the Florida law says something to the effect that - IF they even FILE a suit, once it is revealed that they were shot while committing a crime (that would entitle the use of deadly force against them) - the suit automatically gets DISMISSED WITH PREJUDICE - PLUS - WHEN they go to PRISON for the offense which CAUSED YOU TO HAVE TO SHOOT THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE - they LOSE ALL PRIVILEGES while serving their term, as PUNISHMENT for filing a civil suit in the shooting. Ain't a while lot I love about Florida - but their GUN LAWS are the shizzizzle...

Obviously, if COMPANY RULES prohibit firearms IN the truck and you get caught with one - you'll probably get canned. Still, rather have to find a new job, than get killed or seriously injured by NOT being able to defend myself.

Rick
Old 05-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Senior Board Member

I had one company tell me I could be fired for carrying in their truck. I told him I would rather be fired by him than buried by my children.

He pretty much agreed.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
If you're in the confines of a sleeper - WHY would you need 15 rounds anyway? I practice at least 3X a year with ALL my carry pieces - to make sure I can HIT what I'm trying to, without endangering some innocent bystander - AND I'm 1 inch groups with my S&W 99 and Beretta Cougar & Beretta 900S at 25 yards (all in .40 - best round going - Corbon Super High Velocity ammo). So, unless you're looking for ADDITIONAL trouble - I'd stick to legal mag size (and just carry more than one - every once in awhile when things are especially crazy locally, I've been known to strap a 2nd mag holder onto my belt).

Likewise - if you're in a Komunist State (NY, NJ, Ma, CA, etc.) and you're NOT LEGAL to have a gun IN the passenger compartment - if you have to pop someone - in legal self-defense - you'll still come under scrutiny for having a piece in the first place - though a legal self-defense shoot will not likely end you up in front of a judge (for the shoot itself).

Florida (and many other states) have laws which PRECLUDE someone you shot, while in the commission of a felony, from seeking civil damages against you. In fact, the Florida law says something to the effect that - IF they even FILE a suit, once it is revealed that they were shot while committing a crime (that would entitle the use of deadly force against them) - the suit automatically gets DISMISSED WITH PREJUDICE - PLUS - WHEN they go to PRISON for the offense which CAUSED YOU TO HAVE TO SHOOT THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE - they LOSE ALL PRIVILEGES while serving their term, as PUNISHMENT for filing a civil suit in the shooting. Ain't a while lot I love about Florida - but their GUN LAWS are the shizzizzle...

Obviously, if COMPANY RULES prohibit firearms IN the truck and you get caught with one - you'll probably get canned. Still, rather have to find a new job, than get killed or seriously injured by NOT being able to defend myself.

Rick
I'm glad you go out and practice, but only 3 times a year? I still go thru 1000s of rounds a year and I've slowed quite a bit about in the past few years. As far as the 15 rd mag thats what my Taurus PT99 takes that dosn't mean I'd use them all. And being in the sleeper, I hardly ever go back there!
BUT I DO KNOW HOW DEEP IT GETS WHEN YOU USE A FIREARM FOR DEFENSE, even in your own home your made to feel like you did something wrong and your the "bad guy"and to top it off they take ALL of your guns and even the ammo! I never did get my slug barrel back for my Rem 1100 cuz the recept said "Rem. 1100 12 ga" it said nothing about the extra bbl!! They also damaged alot of my cartridge box collection, Why they had to sieze old black powder shells ???? The only "good" ( besdes finally getting the guns back) was when they called the bomb squad in to determine if my artillerary rounds were safe! I even had problems with the fire marshel cause of my reloading and powder storage. ( he didn't have much of a problem , just egged on by the city)

All this was be cuase I defended my family in my own home
What do you think is going to happen to you when you use a handgun in a state where you don'y live and have no legal right to carry?

Sorry to rant but you can tell I have strong feelings about this, I have no problem with any one LEGALLY carrying and believe you should be able to in any and ALL states

BTW, my carry gun is a Ruger MP .357 in stainless, Who really needs 15 rds anyway it's just more fun!
Ok I've calmed down now LOL
Old 05-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
I'm glad you go out and practice, but only 3 times a year? I still go thru 1000s of rounds a year and I've slowed quite a bit about in the past few years. As far as the 15 rd mag thats what my Taurus PT99 takes that dosn't mean I'd use them all. And being in the sleeper, I hardly ever go back there!
BUT I DO KNOW HOW DEEP IT GETS WHEN YOU USE A FIREARM FOR DEFENSE, even in your own home your made to feel like you did something wrong and your the "bad guy"and to top it off they take ALL of your guns and even the ammo! I never did get my slug barrel back for my Rem 1100 cuz the recept said "Rem. 1100 12 ga" it said nothing about the extra bbl!! They also damaged alot of my cartridge box collection, Why they had to sieze old black powder shells ???? The only "good" ( besdes finally getting the guns back) was when they called the bomb squad in to determine if my artillerary rounds were safe! I even had problems with the fire marshel cause of my reloading and powder storage. ( he didn't have much of a problem , just egged on by the city)

All this was be cuase I defended my family in my own home
What do you think is going to happen to you when you use a handgun in a state where you don'y live and have no legal right to carry?

Sorry to rant but you can tell I have strong feelings about this, I have no problem with any one LEGALLY carrying and believe you should be able to in any and ALL states

BTW, my carry gun is a Ruger MP .357 in stainless, Who really needs 15 rds anyway it's just more fun!
Ok I've calmed down now LOL
Used to go out more - but the local range I had membership at closed down. That and ammo has gotten so expensive lately. So I get out to a private range that a friend owns on the edge of the everglades. I go with my "gun mentor", who's an ex-class III dealer (full auto gets REAL EXPENSIVE to shoot). My SW99 (carry that one 90% of the time) has a laser site on it - so I'm "pretty sure" I'm gonna hit what I want to.

My AR has a laser and Tricjicon Compact ACOG site - it's setup for 50 yards - red dot/pull trigger. Franchi LAWS-12 is loaded with 12ga slugs for the house (only 1 hole if you miss), Mini-30 has a 3-9X40 Scope, laser-bore setup for 100 yards. Again, these have all gotten too expensive to shoot 1,000's of rounds a year "for fun" - I know they'll hit what I'm aiming for - and none of them is legal in a truck anyway (well, maybe the shotgun, but unloaded so that's no good for self-defense).

Interested in hearing (in PM of course) what happened with your self defense shoot. It's amazing how some local DA's PERSECUTE legitimate citizens for defending themselves in their own homes. Florida did away with that BS by passing changes in Chapter 776. Take a look at the last one. If the dirtbag tries to SUE YOU (assuming you let them LIVE), the case gets THROWN OUT - AND if he's convicted of the offense that CAUSED YOU to shoot him the the first damn place - the court can order he LOSE all privileges (phone, visitation, canteen, yard time) just for TRYING to sue you for injuring him while he was in the commission of the felony you SHOT HIM FOR (776.485a(4)).

These provisions of the law were passed SPECIFICALLY to prevent the type of garbage you went through - AND because some local county prosecutors were going after citizens that were LAWFULLY DEFENDING THEMSELVES. While the gun control nuts were calling this the "Wild Wild West law" - and even went as far as taking out ads advising tourists not to come to Florida (trying to hurt the tourism $$) or to be very careful interacting with locals so they wouldn't get shot and killed on vacation - NOT ONE CASE OF ABUSE has ever been publicized by the media since it's passage.

I was doing some research on a congressional bill-tracking site last night - and there are a number of bills "going through the motions" right now, to make reciprocity for carry permits universal between states that issue them. Again, the Komunist states (NY/NJ/MA/CA/ETC.) would be exempt from this anyway. This country NEEDS some uniform regulations concerning gun ownership and carry by LEGITIMATE CITIZENS. The right to own and posses was re-affirmed by the Supreme Court recently (DC vs Heller). Our "wonderful" president will likely VETO anything that crosses his desk that helps LEGAL CITIZENS and likely could care less about US - since all his friends are CRIMINALS ANYWAY...

Rick
Old 05-09-2009, 03:27 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There should not be a need to even have a carry permit. If you are a citizen it should be a non issue. If you are a citizen then you should be able to own and carry any gun you wish. The way the Obama and Nancy and the chickencrats want to disarm this country is though ammunition. They want to prevent us from acquiring ammunition or make it so expensive that we cannot afford it. We better be getting proactive with our congressional representatives about this issue. After these taxes and bills pass it is very difficult to get them reversed. By the way, someone sent me an email about Obama allowing some Hamas members and radical Palestinians to enter this country with all the social perks of our welfare system. I have no idea whether it is true or not, but I would not be surprised. If true, I wonder if they will be given an exemption to our gun laws. Oh, yea, they don't abide by our laws.