User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

The no fire arms rule was originally intended to protect dispatchers and fleet managers from

hacked off drivers who might snap at any given moment.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Boom, the reason you were asked if you had a firearm is a "cop thing". This is a common question asked during traffic stops any more, and it is also a common question asked at weigh stations if they are going to do an inspection or thinking about it.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001 View Post
Boom, the reason you were asked if you had a firearm is a "cop thing". This is a common question asked during traffic stops any more, and it is also a common question asked at weigh stations if they are going to do an inspection or thinking about it.
Suppose a driver keeps a loaded firearm at his side while he is sleeping on a 10 hour break but when it is time to drive he unloads the firearm and places the firearm in a case and places the ammo in another compartment.

If this driver pulls into a scale (or gets pulled over by the police) and the DOT asks if you have a firearm and you tell them yes BUT it is unloaded and ammo is in a seperate container could you still get hauled off to jail? From what I read in this thread the answer should be NO. Am I correct?

Last edited by ohiomohawk; 05-07-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:29 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00m View Post
Okay.Something to learn new.

I was asked once in TX, by a state trooper that stopped me and both times in the AR weigh station about this.Since, i don't own one and not to close to guns,except for what i did in the military, i really didn't bother about it.

So,in one word you can actually carry a firearm in your personal truck,as long it's with the right permits and it's unloaded,stashed away from you directly reaching it??

I would not lie to a DOT if asked if I had a weapon in my truck, but I don't recall that every happening. I have been asked while entering a military reservation. Most will allow you to check it and pick it up when you leave. There are a few states that have really strange laws. I did quite a bit of research on this a few years ago. New York doesn't recognize any other state's CCW permit and you must be a resident to get a license. Their license may not be good all over the state according to once cop I spoke with. He told me that his license wasn't valid outside of the jurisdiction where he worked. If you have ammunition near the gun then you could be charged with a felony in New York. Massachusetts can fine you up to $10,000 (I believe) and throw you in jail if you have one in your vehicle. Kalifornia is another state that has some strange gun laws. Again, these remembrances are from several years ago in doing my research so the numbers could be off a little. The recent ruling by the supreme court may have changed some of these nutty laws.

I would not want to get caught taking a gun into Canada. We have heard some real horror stories about people getting caught at the border with a gun. The real problem is that each state has different laws when it comes to guns. Frankly, I still am surprised that we have allowed the government to impose any restrictions on gun ownership or possession. I used to keep a gun with me in my truck. I stopped when I was running into Canada. I didn't want to take a chance on forgetting that I had it in the truck.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:32 AM
Rookie

Not illegal, per se, but most companies don't allow it, you need a permit from every state youre going to drive through (good luck in dc, nj, md, etc), you won't be able to go to Canada or enter any port, military base, any government facility and a lot of companies that have a big sign at the gate saying something like "no weapons allowed". But theres no federal law that prohibits firearms in cmv's.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001 View Post
in 35 years of driving, I have never been asked, maybe I just look innocent
Old 05-08-2009, 01:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
you need a permit from every state youre going to drive through
Not true. Handgunlaw.us

MANY states honor other states permits.

Last edited by DaveP; 05-08-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:40 AM
Senior Board Member

There is a big difference between Concealed carry (Carrying a gun on you loaded and not visible), Open Carry (Carrying a gun on you loaded and visible), Transport (Gun being transported in a vehicle unloaded), Open Transport (Being carried in a vehicle loaded and within reach but not on you). Different states and different rules for all of those. Like in PA, you do not need any permit of any kind to open carry, as long as it is visible, same in a vehicle in PA, it just has to be visible. Whereis other states like NJ, it is near impossible to get a conceal permit, and open carry is not even allowed at all, neither is open carry in a vehicle.

As it has been already stated, the only legal way to carry a weapon in all states is to have the gun locked up and not easily accessible to the driver (such as a trunk, side box, etc), and the ammo also locked up and separate from the gun. Some states if you are parked and sitting then even with that you could be in violation, whereis other states such as Tennessee recognizes a vehicle such as an RV or semi with a sleeper to be 'home' while parked and being used for rest, and therefor home protection laws apply.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 05-08-2009, 02:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Oh also if you have a conceal carry permit that is recognized in the state you are in, you can carry the weapon anywhere and everywhere, even if they say no weapons, it is not against the law and there is nothing they can do to you legally other then ask you to leave. With a conceal permit, the only places you may not go are on federal government grounds or federal parks, or public schools.

I have quite a few good friends in PA that have CCW and do carry their loaded guns on them at ALL times, from going into walmart to do some shopping, to going into the local courthouse to pay taxes.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 05-08-2009, 02:54 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomohawk View Post
Suppose a driver keeps a loaded firearm at his side while he is sleeping on a 10 hour break but when it is time to drive he unloads the firearm and places the firearm in a case and places the ammo in another compartment.

If this driver pulls into a scale (or gets pulled over by the police) and the DOT asks if you have a firearm and you tell them yes BUT it is unloaded and ammo is in a seperate container could you still get hauled off to jail? From what I read in this thread the answer should be NO. Am I correct?
That would all depend on:

A - Whether or not you had a carry permit and you were in your home state or one that offered reciprocity - absent that,

B - What the prevailing firearms laws regarding vehicle are in the state you happen to be in (fr'example - if you don't have a carry permit, and are in florida - you CAN have a loaded weapon in the glove box, console or other "encased" situation. So having one IMMEDIATELY ACCESSIBLE where you're sleeping - WOULD BE against the law. Having one in a DRAWER next to your bunk would be OK - see the difference?)

C - As far as a "scale or traffic stop" - and you did NOT have the situation described in A above - B would be the correct answer. You would have to abide by the laws regarding weapons in vehicles for that particular state. I've researched the DOT's for a couple of states so far, and ALL of them have no rule regarding CMV's SPECIFICALLY - therefore the rules for firearms in motor vehicles for those particular states would apply.

Many states have rules which may vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Florida, for example has a STATE LAW - which prohibits local jurisdictions from having laws MORE RESTRICTIVE than the state law itself - thereby having uniform firearm regulations throughout the state (and that was the INTENT of the law - so that you could travel throughout the state and not have to check through 30 counties that you might be passing through in order to know what is legal).

As an example - Florida Statutes Chap 790 governs firearms laws. Chapter 790.251 SPECIFICALLY covers firearms in motor vehicles AND on EMPLOYER PROPERTY - this gets a little "hazy" for us - as a Company Driver is technically ON employer property when he is operating a truck for them, and technically NOT when the driver OWNS the truck - this is the EXCEPTION to the rule allowing employee's to keep a firearm in their vehicle on employer property (state NRA fought long and hard for this one).

Wikipedia also has a listing of firearms laws by state...

The book I mentioned on page one of this discussion is the one my "gun mentor" uses and recommends (NRA Firearms Instructor).

I'm somewhat of a "gun nut", and have done a lot of traveling with firearms - which is the reason why I'm pretty "up to date" on the topic...

Rick