User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Red face Getting started blues?

My name is Craig and I will try to keep this brief and to the point. Because I have newbie status I hope I get some leniency on stupid thought processes ( dumb questions ARE better than dumb mistakes ) I completed the CDL license process on April,17, 2009. I am now the proud recipient of a Class-A with all but passenger endorsements and just received my TSA background and fingerprint check for the Hazmat STUFF. Here is the problem I am running into...I have a DUI on my record from February of 2005, actually was arrested back in September of 2004 but thanks to the CA court constipation it has kicked me back to 02/2005. On top of that I have no experience. I am not confused as to the DUI thing "its my own fault" and as everybody has been telling me its the insurance company's. Still some company's will take you on at 3 years no DUI but they want experience. I have been turned down every time and I'm getting scared I will never get to drive. All I'm am looking to do is get experience ANYWHERE and don't even care about the pay. I believe that will come in time with the OTR experience. I have never wanted to do something this bad before "a calling if you will" I will bust my ass and listen until somebody with that knowledge tells me to do otherwise. Oh yeah the other thing I am running into is I live in So. Cal. OK I'll move if that would get me a job. I feel I am a good driver and a safe driver but I need tutelage in a bad way and know the trucking skills don't come overnight. So any help or advise would be greatly appreciated and followed. OK so much for brief, I will shut-up now and do that listening thing.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Insurance companies primarily look at your last 3 years MVR. It is company policy with DUI. There is much liability for most carriers when they hire anyone with a criminal background, whether it is for a DUI or felony. Each company makes their own rules concerning hiring policy. Some will hire after 5 years. At that point you will likely need to take a refresher. I would check with construction companies and perhaps even look at pulling a dump truck or transfer. You may want to keep knocking on doors. The major problem you will run into today is that there are some companies who are only hiring experienced drivers. The economy has put more better qualified drivers into the hiring pool. Carriers have their pick when it comes to finding good drivers. There is much less liability hiring an experience driver than one who is just starting out. Many insurance companies won't cover a driver who has less than 2 years experience. That prohibits many from hiring new drivers. Check with your state employment office. At one time California had a program to take felons out of prison and put them into trucks.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Board Regular

Nothing against you Craig, but I can't believe these "schools" are still cranking out "graduates" and letting them believe theres hope of finding a good job right now. Gman is right about what most companies look for on the insurance side and with all the companies that closed down, all the experienced drivers avalible. BOL on finding something. Most companies have waiting lists of drivers that are wanting a job, the one I'm with does.

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 05-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Might want to scope out the LA Port, lot of O/O's and small companies doing containers, might get lucky and find someone willing to employ you with no experience, but you would have to get a TWIC card.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 05-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Had you asked us first we could have warned you before you spent your money. Jobs aren't out there right now. You'll just have to keep trying. DUI is a big deal but in a better economy you could have got around it. Be aware that if someone does hire you it might be because they pay poorly and treat drivers badly which means they cant hire anyone else. When I say "badly" you cant even imagine. Be careful to protect your record and not magnify your problems. Hopefully this wont be the case and it'll work out for you.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Rookie

Yes, I am learning a lot about this 3 year and 5 year DUI policy and am realizing it might be another 6 mos and a refresher coarse. The disheartening thing for me as far as the DMV printout reads the DUI is the only thing I have. No moving violations, accidents etc. Thank you for the insight I will keep after it. And Yes, the schools out here are pumping out CDL's and the only saving grace is the DMV is not letting anybody slide by without going through "due process" several guys in the COLA-P, Pre-trip testing phase failed one part then missed again during the skills and /or drive test and had to start over again at the written test and cough up all the testing fees. So at least they are trying to produce safe "New Drivers" oxymoron? The LA port is a great idea and I don't care if I wind up hauling dirt (or rubber dog s^!t out of Hong Kong) I'll take it. Thanks Everybody for the input and I hope to keep this thread open for any others who have suggestions.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Rookie

Here is a list of jobs available to California residents. This is from the job search function of CAD. No experiece and a recent DUI is going to be a difficult obstacle to overcome. Good luck. Possibly, and I hate to say it, but, England for 6 months and then find a Company that accepts a recent DUI, if you have 6 months experience.

http://www.classadrivers.com/index.p...ing&StateID=CA
Old 05-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
Here is a list of jobs available to California residents. This is from the job search function of CAD. No experiece and a recent DUI is going to be a difficult obstacle to overcome. Good luck. Possibly, and I hate to say it, but, England for 6 months and then find a Company that accepts a recent DUI, if you have 6 months experience.

http://www.classadrivers.com/index.p...ing&StateID=CA
Given his situation he should jump on an offer from England.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Rookie

O.K. hears a quick question? Whats the wrap on C.R. England I of course would take anything a company like that would offer but why do some companys come with hesitation from experienced drivers. I am not trying to get off topic, but understand future pitfalls I might encounter: confused:
Old 05-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig2u2006 View Post
O.K. hears a quick question? Whats the wrap on C.R. England I of course would take anything a company like that would offer but why do some companys come with hesitation from experienced drivers. I am not trying to get off topic, but understand future pitfalls I might encounter: confused:
They're just a bottom feeder amongst name recognizable Mega carriers. But at least they're not a no name outlaw company with questionable equipment and unscrupulous owners. You could do worse then England in your situation. Its a job.

Tags
newbie, socal