Old 05-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster65 View Post
Look, I am not going to argue this point with you, but I am currently enrolled in the RN prerequisites for Fresno City College. The RN program is two years long and an Associates degree is all that is required, with an LVN license all that is reguired is 30 units. I am going to include two links that will enlighten you on the requirements in California. A BSN is an option for nursing and is a highre degree of education, but it is not a requirement to become an RN. Please look at the links and then come back, and tell me that the Nursing program that is highly regarded in this area is suspect or questionable. Requirements may be different in different areas, but the OP is from California, and I was giving him information based on California requirements. You must have not looked at the link that I included earlier, or you would have seen what I am saying is not only factual, but is the requirements in the state of California. So telling me I am wrong is counterproductive and not based in fact.

This is the information for Fresno City College RN Program;

Fresno City College : LVN to RN Articulation Program

This is the course that meets California for LVN/LPN licensure:

Fresno Adult - Health Occupations

As you will see LVN training is only 53 weeks not two years as you inacurately stated.

I spoke with my niece the recruiter today and apparently they have lowered the requirements and you can now get an RN with an associates degree, at least in some colleges. There is still a disparity of income between someone with an AS compared to the BSN and there is more opportunity with the BSN, but it is possible to get the RN with only a AS. So I stand corrected. According to my niece preference is still given to those who have the BSN.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
OK really, I think we need to get some things straight. Lets see, you want to get into the trucking industry, right? Well, I hate to break this to you, but by your own admission you are going to have a tough time getting a job, why? Simple, you are going to sign a piece of paper where you give the potential company you apply to permission to do a background check on you, including criminal, and a consumer credit check. Now having a foreclosure and a BK, are not a good thing to have on your credit report. Just because you file for BK, does not relieve you of your obligations to repay the debts you agreed to pay in the first place. A foreclosure is about the worst thing to have on your credit report. How does that affect your potential employment? Easy the reason an employer checks these things is to see how responsible of a person you are, and those who do not pay their obligations in good faith are considered poor risks. You by your admission worked a year for very little money knowing you had an obligation to pay off debts that you incurred. When you go to get a job you will have two strikes against you, 1. no experience, 2. irresponsibility in managing your personal debt. If you cannot be responsible in your personal life, how are you going to be responsible for a multimillion dollar load entrusted to you? Think companies don't take that into consideration, think again.

Happy job hunting,

Most trucking companies do not check your credit report. They will pull a DAC which is your driving and criminal records. DAC is governed by the Fair Credit Reporting Act so that is the reason they have you sign the release. They could pull a credit report should they wish, but most will not do it. If you need to get a security clearance then they will likely run a credit check on you. There are some jobs that do credit checks on as a matter of policy but trucking is not one of them, at least not yet. I don't think that a foreclosure or bankruptcy will have the same impact on background checks today than only a year ago. I heard figures that stated that 1 in 9 are in foreclosure. Some of these things have less impact when the economy tanks. I expect more to go into foreclosure and many more to file bankruptcy before this economy starts to turn around. When people are out of work they cannot pay their bills.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I spoke with my niece the recruiter today and apparently they have lowered the requirements and you can now get an RN with an associates degree, at least in some colleges. There is still a disparity of income between someone with an AS compared to the BSN and there is more opportunity with the BSN, but it is possible to get the RN with only a AS. So I stand corrected. According to my niece preference is still given to those who have the BSN.

I would agree that preference is given to those with a higher degree of education, and rightly so. They have paid their dues and been motivated to be better than just the minimum. But it is a starting point and a way to break into the medical field. Granted those who are committed and driven will go on to advance their education. I believe that in California there is such a shortage of nurses that the standards may have been adjusted to meet the need for the industry. I have spoken withe several LVn's who are getting higher pay due to the fact that the shortage is critical an dthey have been given more resposibility based on their scope of practice. Alocal job has just opened up where they are advertising for LVn's with 6 months experience starting at $38.00 per hour, good wages for a step below an RN. I appreciate the fact that you looked at the information I linked for you and saw that I was not trying to give misinformation but a legitimate source. Thank you.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
OK really, I think we need to get some things straight. Lets see, you want to get into the trucking industry, right? Well, I hate to break this to you, but by your own admission you are going to have a tough time geting a job, why? Simple, you are going to sign a piece of paper where you give the potential company you apply to permission to do a backgraound check on you, including criminal, and a consumer credit check. Now having a foreclosure and a BK, are not a good thing to have on your credit report. Just because you file for BK, does not relieve you of your obligations to repay the debts you agreed to pay in the first place. A foreclosure is about the worst thing to have on your credit report. How does that affect your potential employment? Easy the reason an employer checks these things is to see how responsible of a person you are, and those who do not pay their obligations in good faith are considered poor risks. You by your admission worked a year for very little money knowing you had an obligation to pay off debts that you incurred. When you go to get a job you will have two strikes against you, 1. no experience, 2. irresponsibility in managing your personal debt. If you cannot be responsible in your personal life, how are you going to be responsible for a multimillion dollar load entrusted to you? Think companies don't take that into consideration, think again.

Happy job hunting,
Trolls on trucking boards too - who'd a thunk?

1/2 the houses on my block are in foreclosure, and all my neighbors are heading for bankruptcy court too (and no, I don't live "in the hood").

I had already checked with a few people (that have been in the business LONGER than your "vast" experience of 1 year), and most companies don't even look at the credit reports. I'm told, the ones that DO - are actually more relieved to see that someone has DISCHARGED their debts in a bankruptcy - than having a bunch of active collections.

Folks coming out of a Chapter 7, are actually a fairly decent risk - since they DON'T have the pressure of having to come up with $$'s to keep creditors off their *****. People WITH a bunch of collections are WORSE RISKS, as they are going to end having to go to court for the civil suits (or end up with default judgements), end up having garnishment orders from judgements (which are a PITA for the payroll department of ANY COMPANY), and are at much greater risk of STEALING to satisfy their debtors and make ends meet. Chapter 7's are actually as clean as a newborns buttocks (post-baby-wipes at least).

Admittedly, I attempted to do a startup in a really bad economy for that particular segment of the market. Really kind of a "last ditch effort" to get this business going, while I still had the credit and savings to launch it. While I built a very good resume, made excellent contacts and gained the respect of folks in that industry (as a RESPONSIBLE BUSINESSMAN), sadly, it was just the WRONG TIME TO DO IT. Believe me, I'd rather be driving my own private tour bus, and doing sound and road management for Rock bands then starting out at the bottom in yet ANOTHER CAREER PATH.

You are a simple-minded, short-sighted - ANGRY - EX-TRUCK DRIVER. As your trolling history amply shows. If I was the ONLY PERSON in this country to get caught up in a foreclosure/bankruptcy, I probably WOULD be the "irresponsible buffoon" you alluded to in your latest troll. Since I find myself in VERY GOOD COMPANY with the other poor schmucks that got caught up in the Real Estate/Credit debacle - that is still a LONG WAY OFF from peaking (and it's gonna get WAY WORSE - before it gets REMOTELY BETTER), I doubt that my negative credit history (which, until 1/08 had me at an 835 credit score - sadly a 520 now) is really going to have an impact in my finding an entry level truck driving position.

Oh, and backgraound is spelled BACKGROUND...

FOAD...

Rick
Old 05-05-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Most trucking companies do not check your credit report. They will pull a DAC which is your driving and criminal records. DAC is governed by the Fair Credit Reporting Act so that is the reason they have you sign the release. They could pull a credit report should they wish, but most will not do it. If you need to get a security clearance then they will likely run a credit check on you. There are some jobs that do credit checks on as a matter of policy but trucking is not one of them, at least not yet. I don't think that a foreclosure or bankruptcy will have the same impact on background checks today than only a year ago. I heard figures that stated that 1 in 9 are in foreclosure. Some of these things have less impact when the economy tanks. I expect more to go into foreclosure and many more to file bankruptcy before this economy starts to turn around. When people are out of work they cannot pay their bills.

When I signed on with SNI I was told that they would be doing a consumer credit report, but that did come from the recruiter, and we know how up front recruirters are. So you are probably right, I only know what I was told. I also ran teams and handled high value loads and perhaps that was the reason. Now as far as forclosures go, you re correct to a point, but lets face the fact that many people bought more home than they could realistically affordm due to low interest rates, ARM's at unheard of lows, unscrupulous RE agents, predatory lenders and greedy buyers. Many were more than happy to ride the wave of prosperity that was going on at the time. As a RE Broker I saw many come into my office who had purchased low and were upside down in some cases more than double the original purchase price. Equity was their downfall, their $150,000 home was now worth $350,000 and they had used up all that equity in refi's, some that I personally worked with had refinanced 3 times or more as the equity had risen in their homes. Some of the blame has to fall on the buyer, as well as lenders, and in some cases RE agents.

I saw prices rise to in some cases to 3 times the original the amount paid for the home originally, for example, I had a vacation home in Bass Lake, CA, I sold it in 1999 for $375,000, in 2004 it was back on the market for $950,000 and sold for $850,000. That is a huge increase in value in a short period of time. Many took advantage of that and made wise investments and many made poor choices with their equity, cars, vacations, and such. Many used equity to buy other properties, and those usually did well, We used the proceeds from our vacation home to purchase a foreclosed commercial building for $175,000 and resold it last year for $975,000. So opportunities are/were there but some diod not use them wisely.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
Trolls on trucking boards too - who'd a thunk?

1/2 the houses on my block are in foreclosure, and all my neighbors are heading for bankruptcy court too (and no, I don't live "in the hood").

I had already checked with a few people (that have been in the business LONGER than your "vast" experience of 1 year), and most companies don't even look at the credit reports. I'm told, the ones that DO - are actually more relieved to see that someone has DISCHARGED their debts in a bankruptcy - than having a bunch of active collections.

Folks coming out of a Chapter 7, are actually a fairly decent risk - since they DON'T have the pressure of having to come up with $$'s to keep creditors off their *****. People WITH a bunch of collections are WORSE RISKS, as they are going to end having to go to court for the civil suits (or end up with default judgements), end up having garnishment orders from judgements (which are a PITA for the payroll department of ANY COMPANY), and are at much greater risk of STEALING to satisfy their debtors and make ends meet. Chapter 7's are actually as clean as a newborns buttocks (post-baby-wipes at least).

Admittedly, I attempted to do a startup in a really bad economy for that particular segment of the market. Really kind of a "last ditch effort" to get this business going, while I still had the credit and savings to launch it. While I built a very good resume, made excellent contacts and gained the respect of folks in that industry (as a RESPONSIBLE BUSINESSMAN), sadly, it was just the WRONG TIME TO DO IT. Believe me, I'd rather be driving my own private tour bus, and doing sound and road management for Rock bands then starting out at the bottom in yet ANOTHER CAREER PATH.

You are a simple-minded, short-sighted - ANGRY - EX-TRUCK DRIVER. As your trolling history amply shows. If I was the ONLY PERSON in this country to get caught up in a foreclosure/bankruptcy, I probably WOULD be the "irresponsible buffoon" you alluded to in your latest troll. Since I find myself in VERY GOOD COMPANY with the other poor schmucks that got caught up in the Real Estate/Credit debacle - that is still a LONG WAY OFF from peaking (and it's gonna get WAY WORSE - before it gets REMOTELY BETTER), I doubt that my negative credit history (which, until 1/08 had me at an 835 credit score - sadly a 520 now) is really going to have an impact in my finding an entry level truck driving position.

Oh, and backgraound is spelled BACKGROUND...

FOAD...

Rick

I thought you were not going to argue anymore, I can see that you are not a man of your word. Troll, please, you have no idea who I am and a troll is not it. Remember you chimed in on advice that was given to another, and volunteered your stellar financial savvy. Yes there are many who have lost much, and there are those who haven't, you would like others that you are in the majority, wake up you are not. Most could be in your situation, if they made poor choices in their direction in life, but many people stay within their means and don't lose everything, GMAN sited that 1 in 9 are in forclosure, that means 90% of homeowners are not, grim reality. I have been responsible for my finances and made good decisions and am not in your situation, generally we are a product of our own doing.

And "FOAD" c'mon is your vocabulary really that lacking that you have to resort to that kind of talk to get your point across. Given your situation and that crack, I can see that you are truely a victim of your own ignorance, and lack of character. You have sunk to the level of name calling not me, I stated facts based on your posting, you have called me simple-minded, and a troll, I did not call you an irresponsible "buffoon" that was your terminology. You like others are quick to blame someone else for your problems, and until you are willing to face the truth you will always be where you are. It is just too easy to blame the "credit/Real estate" industry for everything, it somehow deflects responsibility onto others for our own shortcomings.

So call me all the names you want, I am not losing my house, in BK or in a position where I have to look for a job, I can work because I want to and not have to, I have made good choices in my life faced up to my responsibilities, taken credit for my failures, and those choices have come to fruition.

Last edited by sportster65; 05-05-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
I thought you were not going to argue anymore, I can see that you are not a man of your word. Troll, please, you have no idea who I am and a troll is not it. Remember you chimed in on advice that was given to another, and volunteered your stellar financial savvy. Yes there are many who have lost much, and there are those who haven't, you would like others that you are in the majority, wake up you are not. Most could be in your situation, if they made poor choices in their direction in life, but many people stay within their means and don't lose everything, GMAN sited that 1 in 9 are in forclosure, that means 90% of homeowners are not, grim reality. I have been responsible for my finances and made good decisions and am not in your situation, generally we are a product of our own doing.

And "FOAD" c'mon is your vocabulary really that lacking that you have to resort to that kind of talk to get your point across. Given your situation and that crack, I can see that you are truely a victim of your own ignorance, and lack of character. You have sunk to the level of name calling not me, I stated facts based on your posting, you have called me simple-minded, and a troll, I did not call you an irresponsible "buffoon" that was your terminology. You like others are quick to blame someone else for your problems, and until you are willing to face the truth you will always be where you are. It is just too easy to blame the "credit/Real estate" industry for everything, it somehow deflects responsibility onto others for our own shortcomings.

So call me all the names you want, I am not losing my house, in BK or in a position where I have to look for a job, I can work because I want to and not have to, I have made good choices in my life faced up to my responsibilities, taken credit for my failures, and those choices have come to fruition.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I bow to your incredible wit and wisdom. I am truly unworthy to even post on the same discussion thread as you. Maybe even, on the same internet as you.

Please accept my humblest of heartfelt apologies...

R
Old 05-05-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I bow to your incredible wit and wisdom. I am truly unworthy to even post on the same discussion thread as you. Maybe even, on the same internet as you.

Please accept my humblest of heartfelt apologies...

R
You are probably right, and I accept your apology.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Rookie

I am not a driver, I am one of the people reading forums like this because I am thinking about getting into driving. I was a mechanic for 20 years before getting layed off last September. Every new car dealer that shuts down just puts more techs on the street looking for work. Just like every trucking company that shuts down puts more drivers on the street.......without a truck though.
I am still on the fence, taking everything into consideration and talking it over with my wife. I already knew I would have to do OTR before finding a local job, just like I know I will be away from home for weeks at a time. I also know the pay will not make me rich. I am thinking about this because I am sick of cars and would enjoy working alone. Sure, I might not find a job after going through the school, at least it will be one more skill on my resume. I am not doing any better finding a job as a tech. Believe me, techs do not make as much money as you might think. These days, there pay is about equal to drivers and they still have to buy their own tools.
My point is, there are a lot of negative people telling others not to be a driver. You can go to a forum for mechanics, plumbers, electricians or a Wal Mart greeter and see the same stuff. Guys that have been doing it for a long time and wish they had done something else.
Example, guys become mechanics because they loved cars in high school. I now hate changing my own oil and my wife drives a 2 year old car with a warranty. You never hear from guys that actually like their job, you ALWAYS hear from guys that hate it.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc9393 View Post
My point is, there are a lot of negative people telling others not to be a driver. You can go to a forum for mechanics, plumbers, electricians or a Wal Mart greeter and see the same stuff. Guys that have been doing it for a long time and wish they had done something else.
Example, guys become mechanics because they loved cars in high school. I now hate changing my own oil and my wife drives a 2 year old car with a warranty. You never hear from guys that actually like their job, you ALWAYS hear from guys that hate it.
Funny you mention that - it's an issue I have with most of these trucker boards. I think maybe alot of these guys just don't want the extra competition in the market-place. While there's a lot of wrong things that go down in the trucking industry (and they pull that crap on newbies cause they think we don't KNOW ANY BETTER), if you like the work, can deal with the away time, and don't mind being alone - it still might be worth checking out - regardless of what the nay-sayers are selling...

Perfect example; the most DEMONIZED of ALL TRUCKING COMPANIES (especially for newbies) is Swift. I just spent the last hour talking with a Swift company driver, as he was unloading at a local bedding store (incidentally, he told me in 3 years, it was the FIRST TIME he had to hand unload the truck himself). He liked working for them, gets the miles he's looking for, has a good DM, trained in their school as a newb, and had nothing bad to say about them. He stressed ATTITUDE as the KEY INGREDIENT at "making it" with ANY COMPANY. A willingness to work, a healthy/positive attitude, and the ability to learn from your mistakes are the things he stressed to me. He started out with a 600K mi/2005 Freightshaker, and after 6 months got into a new '08 Volvo 780. I thanked him for the time he spent with me.

As much GOOD INFO as I get from the internet discussion boards - there's nothing that beats talking to a LIVE DRIVER, face-2-face. This doesn't mean I don't believe some of the things I read on the boards - just that you have to temper the good with the bad - and NO ONE seems to have ANYTHING GOOD to say about ANY COMPANY or the industry in general...

Rick

Last edited by SickRick; 05-11-2009 at 02:51 PM.