User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
My sister is an RN and I have a niece who is a nurse recruiter for a major hospital. I do know what I am talking about. My sister became an RN once she received her BSN (Bachelor's degree). She currently has a graduate degree and is in management. I have a couple of other relatives who are LPN's who have AS degrees. Neither could become an RN without gaining further education. You can become an LPN with an associates degree. I have another friend who is also an RN. She also has a BSN. If someone is telling you that that you can become an RN with only a AS degree then you need to check their accreditation. You need to check with someone who knows what they are talking about before you come on here and start making statements about things which you have no knowledge.
Look, I am not going to argue this point with you, but I am currently enrolled in the RN prerequisites for Fresno City College. The RN program is two years long and an Associates degree is all that is required, with an LVN license all that is reguired is 30 units. I am going to include two links that will enlighten you on the requirements in California. A BSN is an option for nursing and is a highre degree of education, but it is not a requirement to become an RN. Please look at the links and then come back, and tell me that the Nursing program that is highly regarded in this area is suspect or questionable. Requirements may be different in different areas, but the OP is from California, and I was giving him information based on California requirements. You must have not looked at the link that I included earlier, or you would have seen what I am saying is not only factual, but is the requirements in the state of California. So telling me I am wrong is counterproductive and not based in fact.

This is the information for Fresno City College RN Program;

Fresno City College : LVN to RN Articulation Program

This is the course that meets California for LVN/LPN licensure:

Fresno Adult - Health Occupations

As you will see LVN training is only 53 weeks not two years as you inacurately stated.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Board Regular

Why don't y'all fight about this over on the NURSING FORUM.

All I saw here, was someone who was mislead about what hey could earn, entry-level, in trucking - and a bunch of folks trying to convince him how back it sucks to be a trucker.

Rick
Old 05-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Rick, You have it wrong. This belongs in the Alternate Careers Forum. The Nursing Forum is for expectant and new mommies.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:16 PM

Being an open public forum, people can comment on what they wish as long as it does not violate the rules. Secondly, you have absolutely 0 hours of truck driving experience and really have no idea as to what a driver can or will make as a entry level driver. When you get some experience under your belt then you can make an educated contribution as to what the earnings will, won't or may be. If you read correctly, you would have seen that he was being advised as to his situation, and for him it would be less than ideal. You need to learn to assimilate information to see how it was being given, and yes truckin g does suck for a person with a wife and kids at home, it is better suited for someone is not in that situation. Again you have no OTR experience so you cannot give an informed opinion as to whether is sucks of not, yo don't know you have not lived it, I have.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster65 View Post
Being an open public forum, people can comment on what they wish as long as it does not violate the rules. Secondly, you have absolutely 0 hours of truck driving experience and really have no idea as to what a driver can or will make as a entry level driver. When you get some experience under your belt then you can make an educated contribution as to what the earnings will, won't or may be. If you read correctly, you would have seen that he was being advised as to his situation, and for him it would be less than ideal. You need to learn to assimilate information to see how it was being given, and yes truckin g does suck for a person with a wife and kids at home, it is better suited for someone is not in that situation. Again you have no OTR experience so you cannot give an informed opinion as to whether is sucks of not, yo don't know you have not lived it, I have.
Admittedly, I haven't been "out there yet" - but it fits my lifestyle so PERFECTLY, I can't imagine it being anything more or less than I've read here and other sites.

From your "home where I belong" post - I don't see where only having driven for a year - makes you any kind of "grizzled veteran" either. I DID spend a year driving a NFH tour bus for a band - making literally NO $$ AT ALL - but LOVED the road work. Spent most evenings in WalMarts or Truck Stops. Was under way less time constraints (but still had to get from point a-2-b on schedule) and in a more comfortable setting than a truck cab.

For someone starting out, with a wife and kids - the choice to be away from them is a difficult one. In this economy, and with newb drivers being literally a dime-a-dozen - it's definitely not a "get rich quick" kind of job at best.

OTOH - just because YOU missed your family and decided the career/lifestyle didn't fit YOUR NEEDS - doesn't necessarily mean it's going to suck for EVERYONE.

By all means - keep going back and forth about nursing. Just mentioning that I read the NEW TRUCK DRIVERS GET HELP HERE forum - to find out about TRUCKING - not NURSING. If your "vast" years experience OTR has totally robbed you of your sense of humor, and has thinned your skin to the point where you feel the need to respond to my post thusly - I feel SORRY FOR YOU...

Rick
Old 05-04-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
Admittedly, I haven't been "out there yet" - but it fits my lifestyle so PERFECTLY, I can't imagine it being anything more or less than I've read here and other sites.

From your "home where I belong" post - I don't see where only having driven for a year - makes you any kind of "grizzled veteran" either. I DID spend a year driving a NFH tour bus for a band - making literally NO $$ AT ALL - but LOVED the road work. Spent most evenings in WalMarts or Truck Stops. Was under way less time constraints (but still had to get from point a-2-b on schedule) and in a more comfortable setting than a truck cab.

For someone starting out, with a wife and kids - the choice to be away from them is a difficult one. In this economy, and with newb drivers being literally a dime-a-dozen - it's definitely not a "get rich quick" kind of job at best.

OTOH - just because YOU missed your family and decided the career/lifestyle didn't fit YOUR NEEDS - doesn't necessarily mean it's going to suck for EVERYONE.

By all means - keep going back and forth about nursing. Just mentioning that I read the NEW TRUCK DRIVERS GET HELP HERE forum - to find out about TRUCKING - not NURSING. If your "vast" years experience OTR has totally robbed you of your sense of humor, and has thinned your skin to the point where you feel the need to respond to my post thusly - I feel SORRY FOR YOU...

Rick
I did not claim to have "vast" amounts of knowledge or be a "grizzled veteran" your words not mine. But I, unlike you did spend just over a year in this profession, and yes that does give me much more experience than you. I have talked to countless drivers at the docks, t/s, OC, and just about everywhere that drivers may congregate. So in that aspect I still have much more insider knowledge than you. I have heard the stories of driver burnout, being homesick, failed marriages, low pay, sitting for hours without pay, fighting to pickup or make a delivery, fighting for a load, wondering where the miles are, living in a box, swealtering in the summer, freezing in the winter, constantly having to fight with the company over layover pay, TAH, detention pay, and so on. So yes I do not have "vast" amounts of experience, but I do have much more than you have now, which is none, and yes I did drive mile after mile in the rain, snow wind, heat, road construction, which at this point is light years above and beyond any time you have had on the road in a truck. So you are right in one aspect, I learned quick that driving is not condusive to my families need fo me to be there with them. But even with that my "vast" "grizzled veteran" knowledge is at least from experience on the road, yours is from an internet forum and a few conversations from drivers at the docks you frequent. Until you have even minimal experience, you should not be critical of us that have had much more experience than your web browsing and dock talks.

So feel sorry for me, but I am home riding my bike, 4 wheeling my jeep, going to school at my leisure, and not knocking myself out for a few pennies per mile.

Last edited by sportster65; 05-04-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:30 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
I did not claim to have "vast" amounts of knowledge or be a "grizzled veteran" your words not mine. But I, unlike you did spend just over a year in this profession, and yes that does give me much more experience than you. I have talked to countless drivers at the docks, t/s, OC, and just about everywhere that drivers may congregate. So in that aspect I still have much more insider knowledge than you. I have heard the stories of driver burnout, being homesick, failed marriages, low pay, sitting for hours without pay, fighting to pickup or make a delivery, fighting for a load, wondering where the miles are, living in a box, swealtering in the summer, freezing in the winter, constantly having to fight with the company over layover pay, TAH, detention pay, and so on. So yes I do not have "vast" amounts of experience, but I do have much more than you have now, which is none, and yes I did drive mile after mile in the rain, snow wind, heat, road construction, which at this point is light years above and beyond any time you have had on the road in a truck. So you are right in one aspect, I learned quick that driving is not condusive to my families need fo me to be there with them. But even with that my "vast" "grizzled veteran" knowledge is at least from experience on the road, yours is from an internet forum and a few conversations from drivers at the docks you frequent. Until you have even minimal experience, you should not be critical of us that have had much more experience than your web browsing and dock talks.

So feel sorry for me, but I am home riding my bike, 4 wheeling my jeep, going to school at my leisure, and not knocking myself out for a few pennies per mile.
Not going to continue arguing with you.

For those in the cheep seats...

If your "vast" years experience OTR has totally robbed you of your sense of humor, and has thinned your skin to the point where you feel the need to respond to my post thusly - I feel SORRY FOR YOU...

Rick
Old 05-05-2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
Not going to continue arguing with you.

For those in the cheep seats...

If your "vast" years experience OTR has totally robbed you of your sense of humor, and has thinned your skin to the point where you feel the need to respond to my post thusly - I feel SORRY FOR YOU...

Rick
Your sentiment has been duly noted, and disregarded.

***Note: cheep is spelled c-h-e-a-p***

Last edited by sportster65; 05-05-2009 at 06:04 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Your sentiment has been duly noted, and disregarded.

***Note: cheep is spelled c-h-e-a-p***

I'm impressed officer...

I'm not critical of "us that have more experience". Just YOU!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grammarpolice.jpg (18.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 05-05-2009, 07:28 PM

OK really, I think we need to get some things straight. Lets see, you want to get into the trucking industry, right? Well, I hate to break this to you, but by your own admission you are going to have a tough time geting a job, why? Simple, you are going to sign a piece of paper where you give the potential company you apply to permission to do a backgraound check on you, including criminal, and a consumer credit check. Now having a foreclosure and a BK, are not a good thing to have on your credit report. Just because you file for BK, does not relieve you of your obligations to repay the debts you agreed to pay in the first place. A foreclosure is about the worst thing to have on your credit report. How does that affect your potential employment? Easy the reason an employer checks these things is to see how responsible of a person you are, and those who do not pay their obligations in good faith are considered poor risks. You by your admission worked a year for very little money knowing you had an obligation to pay off debts that you incurred. When you go to get a job you will have two strikes against you, 1. no experience, 2. irresponsibility in managing your personal debt. If you cannot be responsible in your personal life, how are you going to be responsible for a multimillion dollar load entrusted to you? Think companies don't take that into consideration, think again.

Happy job hunting,