User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default hello :) another newbie with questions :)

Hello everyone
My name is Jason. I am from Stockton, ca.
I have been with my current job (profesional sales) for 9 years. I was gaining pay and got up to 58k 2 yrs ago and then the economy tanked. Last 2 years i have been making less and less money. In fact last year i pulled in 42k and 2 months ago got work of another 10k a year cut. I have a wife and 2 kids to support now (didnt have this obsticle 2 1/2 years ago) and I cant wait for the economy to get better. This isnt meant to be a sob story because i fully understand alot of people are in the same boat. This is just a summary of why i am looking into this field. My brother in law, a friends son and a couple other people I know have suggested I look into trucking. I actually did a route with my Brother in law last week and grilled him the whole way on the ins and outs of trucking. I even helped unload the trailer (i havnt used a floor jack in almost 8 years. Back in the day i used to work Kmart part time and helped unload the truck and stock the store). I see this as something i can do. Here is part of why.
1. My current schedule is i leave my house at 10 minutes to 9am. i drive to antioch, work my shift, and am home around 10:30pm at night 3-4 days a week. Saturdays Its one hour less and sundays its 2 hours less (this doesnt include the monthly meetings that start at 8am in the bay area so i have to leave the house at 6:30am to get there and afterwards work a 10 hr shift and still get home at 9:30pm at night). I work almost all holidays and weekends. Im used to very long days (i know i may have to re adapt to nights but im sure i can adjust).
2. I have almost always worked at least 30 minutes (as much as an hour regular) each way from my living location. Ive covered shifts around Sacramento, the bay area and all the way down to sand city at one time or another while living in stockton. I have drove all these thousands of miles and still manage to keep a clean driving record (knock on wood). A year or so ago me and a buddy went to San Diego and i drove the whole way there, spent the night, and drove back myself.
3. i deal daily with traffic daily.
4. 3-4 days a week i work solo in the store. I can go a whole day without seeing a single customer. So working on my own is no problem. Im used to it.
5. I know how to drive a stick. yes a truck is alot bigger but i understand the concept. I know i can adjust to a Semi truck.
Basically im the kind of person that if i put my mind to it I will do it. I understand this field is WAY diffrent from what i used too. However from what ive been told unless i screw up major i shouldn't be making almost 1/2 the pay after 9 years in it. I also have my family to think of and that is motivation in itself.

I am aware the first 6 months to year will be hell. I will barely see my kids and family. However the ends justify the means and i know after i get some experiance under my belt i will be able to comfortably support them. :block:

So questions are as follows-
1. I have called Swift. My brother in law recomended them highly as being a place that will train me if i sign a contract. I personaly dont mind signing a contract if they pay for my schooling and keep me working. Now besides swift are there any other companies that do this (my brother in law didnt know of any others)?
2. Swift said there training is in arizona. Fine, if i have to go there then i go. Does anyone know if they board you there or do i need to rent a room (this is of course they let me in)?
3. I need starting pay to be at least 3k a month to cover the mortgage and basic bills. even that is going to be very tight. To be able to breath i need to be making 40k a year starting. I want to get back to 56k as soon as possible (we were living nicely with my income and my wifes. she works too but its just enough to cover half the mortgage, i cover the rest and all bills and medical ect) . Is this do able just starting out or is it unrealistic and starting out is a lot lower then that?

Any and all help and tips on how to get on with a company is appricated guys
this is completely new territory for me.
thank you

Last edited by bluebikerboy1; 04-29-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:10 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebikerboy1 View Post
I am aware the first 6 months to year will be hell. I will barely see my kids and family. However the ends justify the means and i know after i get some experiance under my belt i will be able to comfortably support them.
Running OTR, the first 6 months will likely be the same as the rest of it.

Quote:
So questions are as follows-
1. I have called Swift. My brother in law recomended them highly as being a place that will train me if i sign a contract. I personaly dont mind signing a contract if they pay for my schooling and keep me working. Now besides swift are there any other companies that do this (my brother in law didnt know of any others)?
I believe CR England still trains, but they are just as bad as Swift (yeah, you're brother in law is wrong about them). They'll make you sign a contract, and will not guarantee any sort of pay level. They could very well leave you high and dry (which happens all too much in this economy), and if you leave, they'll hit you with a bill for the schooling. The schooling isn't necessarily transferable to another company - it's hit and miss.

Quote:
2. Swift said there training is in arizona. Fine, if i have to go there then i go. Does anyone know if they board you there or do i need to rent a room (this is of course they let me in)?
They put you up in a room, and likely give you one or two meals a day. It's in the cost of the tuition.

Quote:
3. I need starting pay to be at least 3k a month to cover the mortgage and basic bills. even that is going to be very tight. To be able to breath i need to be making 40k a year starting. I want to get back to 56k as soon as possible (we were living nicely with my income and my wifes. she works too but its just enough to cover half the mortgage, i cover the rest and all bills and medical ect) . Is this do able just starting out or is it unrealistic and starting out is a lot lower then that?
40K starting out is unrealistic. 56K is very unrealistic. There are only a very small percentage of company drivers who earn that much. The companies they drive for tend to not have to recruit or advertise, as their turnover rates are extremely low.

But just do the math. If you're earning $0.34 per mile (which is about average, maybe a bit higher), you'd have to run 118,000 miles per year to earn $40K. That's 2450 miles per week, with 4 weeks off per year (which would be scattered throughout the year). You'd have to run almost 165,000 miles a year to earn that $56K. That's 3167 miles a week if you NEVER go home. It's just not likely to happen.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
Running OTR, the first 6 months will likely be the same as the rest of it.

I believe CR England still trains, but they are just as bad as Swift (yeah, you're brother in law is wrong about them). They'll make you sign a contract, and will not guarantee any sort of pay level. They could very well leave you high and dry (which happens all too much in this economy), and if you leave, they'll hit you with a bill for the schooling. The schooling isn't necessarily transferable to another company - it's hit and miss.

They put you up in a room, and likely give you one or two meals a day. It's in the cost of the tuition.

40K starting out is unrealistic. 56K is very unrealistic. There are only a very small percentage of company drivers who earn that much. The companies they drive for tend to not have to recruit or advertise, as their turnover rates are extremely low.

But just do the math. If you're earning $0.34 per mile (which is about average, maybe a bit higher), you'd have to run 118,000 miles per year to earn $40K. That's 2450 miles per week, with 4 weeks off per year (which would be scattered throughout the year). You'd have to run almost 165,000 miles a year to earn that $56K. That's 3167 miles a week if you NEVER go home. It's just not likely to happen.
i should have probobly clarified. i need 36k maybe a hair less just to make the mortgage and basic bills. im sure it will take time to get up to the 56k (2-3 years maybe?). is the 36k (3k a month) still unrealistic starting pay?
thanks
Old 04-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
i should have probobly clarified. i need 36k maybe a hair less just to make the mortgage and basic bills. im sure it will take time to get up to the 56k (2-3 years maybe?).
I was a company driver for the first 8 years of my career as a truck driver, and I never saw $56,000 per year. As I said, the chances of you earning that much EVER are few and far between. Only a handful of drivers are at that level, and you'll likely never know where they are working. They certainly aren't at any company that you're seeing in any sort of trucking magazine.

Quote:
is the 36k (3k a month) still unrealistic starting pay?
thanks
In this economy? At Swift? Probably. Not trying to burst your bubble, just being realistic. Companies are going out of business left and right. It is not a driver's market.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:20 PM

You will make more in your current job than your first year of trucking. I had what people would call a sucessful first year OTR and made an average of $600 a week, some weeks $800 but never more. Don't forget tolls, detention, chasing trailers, waiting for a load, food while on the road, medical insurance, and getting lost. You will be lucky to be at $30,000 if you get there, you will be learning and will make many mistakes that will cost you $$$, I am not saying you should not drive OTR, but I think your expectations are a little high. Most likely you will bring home $300 - $400 a week your first few weeks out. Then you will learn how to trip plan, and make the most of your time so you can drive and make some $$. Also you may be OK with being away from your family, but will they be OK with you being away. It is a very helpless feeling to be 2000 miles away from your children when they need you. You will probably have to fight at first to get TAH, and be so tired when you do get home, all you want to do is sleep the 1st day or so back. If you don't request TAH at the right time you will find yourself out 5-6 weeks at a time with no forseeable way to get home, they do not care if you get home or not, if you don't believe that, you are fooling yourself. But if you make a stand and insist they get you home as planned most times you will get there close to when you want.

When you are OTR you are there to drive for them and pick up and deliver loads. They are not accomidating for any personal needs you may have. There are very strict PU and Del. times and that is the most important thing to the company, your needs or your families needs will have to wait. I am not saying these things to scare you, but just to relay facts of OTR driving, you are a slave to the truck and the load you are under and all else is secondary.

One other thing I forgot to add is that you are responsible for any tickets you may get, I know of one guy who made a very innocent mistake and it cost him more than you would believe. He was over weight because he forgot to move his tandems to the 5th hole when he got to CA, and got pulled into a scale. He was`then given a full DOT inspection and was also ticketed for log violations. It was over $3000 and the Co loaned him the money but he did not get paid for two months. It is very easy to forget something and DOT is not a forgiving bunch.

Last edited by sportster65; 04-29-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster65 View Post
You will make more in your current job than your first year of trucking. I had what people would call a sucessful first year OTR and made an average of $600 a week, some weeks $800 but never more. Don't forget tolls, detention, chasing trailers, waiting for a load, food while on the road, medical insurance, and getting lost. You will be lucky to be at $30,000 if you get there, you will be learning and will make many mistakes that will cost you $$$, I am not saying you should not drive OTR, but I think your expectations are a little high. Most likely you will bring home $300 - $400 a week your first few weeks out. Then you will learn how to trip plan, and make the most of your time so you can drive and make some $$. Also you may be OK with being away from your family, but will they be OK with you being away. It is a very helpless feeling to be 2000 miles away from your children when they need you. You will probably have to fight at first to get TAH, and be so tired when you do get home, all you want to do is sleep the 1st day or so back. If you don't request TAH at the right time you will find yourself out 5-6 weeks at a time with no forseeable way to get home, they do not care if you get home or not, if you don't believe that, you are fooling yourself. But if you make a stand and insist they get you home as planned most times you will get there close to when you want.

When you are OTR you are there to drive for them and pick up and deliver loads. They are not accomidating for any personal needs you may have. There are very strict PU and Del. times and that is the most important thing to the company, your needs or your families needs will have to wait. I am not saying these things to scare you, but just to relay facts of OTR driving, you are a slave to the truck and the load you are under and all else is secondary.
:thumbsup::clap:

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 04-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Rookie

thanks for the input guys.
i got a small bit of good news. countrywide (who we had our mortage. they refused to work with us to remodify to get the payment down. Since im incalifornia like alot of us we are major upside down. countrywide said they would only modify what current market is and we had to cough up the other 100+k) got bought by BOA. BOA apparently allows principle reduction (short refinance). this means there is a good chance i can refinance, lower our mortgage to what is afordable, and i can tell this current job bye bye and afford to work for alot less to start out. this may end up working out afterall

in reply to an above post the wife is the one pushing me to look into this deeper. she works for a trucking company in stockton and cuts the drivers checks. so she sees what they take home and sees it as good money. i know better personally and have tried to explain they have experiance and i dont. She is aware i will be on the road and so i have her support on this. Being away form my 2 babaies is a diffrent story i am struggling with. I only get to see them for like 20 minutes in the morning 5-6 days a week and on my 1-2 days off as it is. But in the long run this career can end up paying off. i can get a local route and be home more (this is what my brother in law does). Im a realist and realize i wont be home every night but still id be home more. but it takes experiance to get to the point of being hired by one of thoes gigs and from what ive read on the boards so far it looks like most want 2 years unless I go food which is ok. Im 26 yrs old in overall good shape (im only 215lbs) and can handle a floor jack.
So besides having to cope with the pay what other tidbits can be suggested? any other companies willing to train? if i go the route of paying for my own school, getting all my tage for doubles, triples, tankers, hazmat, ect (i heard this is a good way to go to get it all done at once since im at the dmv anyways and its one flat fee) how hard will it be to get work if im not with swift or england ect?
thaks again guys

Last edited by bluebikerboy1; 04-30-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
thanks for the input guys.
i got a small bit of good news. countrywide (who we had our mortage. they refused to work with us to remodify to get the payment down. Since im incalifornia like alot of us we are major upside down. countrywide said they would only modify what current market is and we had to cough up the other 100+k) got bought by BOA. BOA apparently allows principle reduction (short refinance). this means there is a good chance i can refinance, lower our mortgage to what is afordable, and i can tell this current job bye bye and afford to work for alot less to start out. this may end up working out afterall

in reply to an above post the wife is the one pushing me to look into this deeper. she works for a trucking company in stockton and cuts the drivers checks. so she sees what they take home and sees it as good money. i know better personally and have tried to explain they have experiance and i dont. She is aware i will be on the road and so i have her support on this. Being away form my 2 babaies is a diffrent story i am struggling with. I only get to see them for like 20 minutes in the morning 5-6 days a week and on my 1-2 days off as it is. But in the long run this career can end up paying off. i can get a local route and be home more (this is what my brother in law does). Im a realist and realize i wont be home every night but still id be home more. but it takes experiance to get to the point of being hired by one of thoes gigs and from what ive read on the boards so far it looks like most want 2 years unless I go food which is ok. Im 26 yrs old in overall good shape (im only 215lbs) and can handle a floor jack.
So besides having to cope with the pay what other tidbits can be suggested? any other companies willing to train? if i go the route of paying for my own school, getting all my tage for doubles, triples, tankers, hazmat, ect (i heard this is a good way to go to get it all done at once since im at the dmv anyways and its one flat fee) how hard will it be to get work if im not with swift or england ect?
thaks again guys
I think you have already made up your mind about it and really anything else I or anyone else may say is probably not going to help you. You gave your expectations on earnings and were in told in no uncertain terms you would not make that in your first year. Yet you come back and tell us that your wife says she knows what truck drivers make and it sounds like good money. I've given you my experience, and I am certain if 100 others gave you theirs you would still have your mind made up to go OTR. So at this point I don't believe I or any one else can convince you of the truth of what your first year is going to be like. So I will just end this by saying good luck, and I hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster65 View Post
I think you have already made up your mind about it and really anything else I or anyone else may say is probably not going to help you. You gave your expectations on earnings and were in told in no uncertain terms you would not make that in your first year. Yet you come back and tell us that your wife says she knows what truck drivers make and it sounds like good money. I've given you my experience, and I am certain if 100 others gave you theirs you would still have your mind made up to go OTR. So at this point I don't believe I or any one else can convince you of the truth of what your first year is going to be like. So I will just end this by saying good luck, and I hope you find what you are looking for.
well i can spin this a diffrent way to get the point of why im looking to change careers.

has anyone in this industry have this done to you?
you been with an outfit for 9 years. you have been loyal, can count on one hand in the 9 years how many days you have called in sick, worked sick with the flu, colds, actual diagnosed walking pnemonia, ect. Made good numbers in sales your entire career (i wouldnt have lasted this long if i sucked at this job), missed countless family gatherings to cover a shift because it was a mandatory weekend (they call them blackouts here). sacraficed seeing your kids grow up. work in all kinds of stores way out of your normal driving perimeter and not get reimbersed for anything. was told to cover shifts on your days off (sometimes in stores way far from home) so other employees can attend parties, and concerts, and stuff like that, not sell anything thus working for free. then when something comes up and you need a day off am told there is no one to cover so you have to cancel. Get stabbed in the back by your co workers on customers (basicaly they stealing your commission) so you lose even more money.

then you get rewarded for all this by them cuting your pay almost in half over a 2 year period, your hours get increased making it impossible to pick a second job up to make ends meet. Be countlessly denied transfering to a location closer to home stating there is no room (but other training classes go through and thoes rookies are put in the stores close to your home) have your health insurance rates increase due to cut backs, 401k matching taken away, and the constant threat of being fired due to the inability to make there infated sales quotas in this economy.
oh yeah i forgot, i complained that i wanted to change divisions because under the new pay scale id make more money at a comprable store in the other division as i was making now. so they put me in the division.......................in the second slowest store in the company. thus im making less then i was before. then try to spin it off as them doing me a favor for alowing me to work here.
At the latest meeting (which i wasnt paid to go to but was forced to burn my gas and work a 10 hr shift afterwards) the head guy makes a crack saying they can do this new pay system (i.e paycut) because there isnt anything else out there right now.

Im sure you would be sick of the BS and be looking for a diffrent job as well. the pay is beign adressed, we have a savings that can take care of the diffrence for the first 6 months or so till im making decent money on the road. once the mortgage is fixed I wont have to make as much to cover the bills. so money aside and time from the family which will suck yeah i am really considering this. I havnt made up my mind completley and wont till the house thing is finalized (now a few months out acording to the guy i talked too), in the mean time ill do some more looking into all the companies i guess. If this career isnt something that pay will increase with experiance then someone tell me that because form what i can see if i stick to my guns in a few years time ill make decent money. I cant do this job much longer, i need out
Old 04-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
well i can spin this a diffrent way to get the point of why im looking to change careers.

has anyone in this industry have this done to you?
Yup. That sounds like truck driving all right.:thumbsup:

Oh wait - you were saying that is WHY you want to get into truck driving?:hellno: My mistake.