User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Whats wrong with trucking??

I been reading these forums and other trucking forums about 4-5 times a week, and i saw a post about this guy saying something about its not for everybody but its a good career if you can hang in there. I dont know if this is me or not but it seems like 69% of the things i read is negative towards trucking. I dont know if these trucking forums are filled with drivers that wine like babies or just not satisfied with their job. I really want to start trucking but sometimes i question that desision about getting into the industry from reading the forums all the time, can someone shed some light on this topic please?
Old 03-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Senior Board Member

dunno about you, but when i was a real young lad, i remember seeing all those truckers that were making the money. it was also, i guess, more prestigious back then, too. fast forward to 2009, more companies complain if a driver wants to take more than 4 days off at a time. companies threaten to fire drivers for idling their trucks in hot temperatures all while providing a stupid oscillating fan. that oscillating fan won't do jack in hot temperatures. they'll also find stupid loopholes to get out of paying drivers what they're owed. too many companies get away with so much inhumane b.s.

if you leave a pet inside of a hot vehicle. you know you could very well go to jail for animal cruelty. if a company decides they want to somehow install something to remotely shut a truck off, that company is somehow not committing a crime. something like that makes an intelligent person scream, "WHAT THE FIZZUCK!?" only a ******ed person will think there's nothing wrong with that picture.

2 years in and i realized some months back that i made a mistake. it was fun, but i'm now at the point of where i'm mentally exhausted and tired of the bullcrap. the crappy pay doesn't justify this garbage. i'm sick of being around a bunch of uneducated rednecks who do this because it's their only option in life. eff that, i wanna get into something white collar after getting my degree. i'm sick of being around smelly, fat slobs with bad mullets, missing teeth, and ones who are convicted felons. there are also a crapload of religious nut jobs out there who make it their goal to convert you if you don't believe they way they do. i'm sick of those born again christains who cannot accept me because i don't believe in what they do. they're a bunch of self-righteous *****s.

y'know, i can see why CFM is the way he is.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:20 PM

Well how I feel about trucking, is simple, it really blows, I flipping hate it, :banghead: While im in the truck I thinking about what im going to do when I get home. But while im at home, im thinking about when im going back out on the road :banghead:

Im waiting for an equipment operator jobs to open back up in this area and im out of the truck again, But I will always miss it :lol:

As far as the cry baby thing, go sit in any truck stop, with a C.B. and listen to all the *****ing and moaning. It is just the way it is, but you will find that a lot of the pissing and moaning is coming from company drivers. Yes O/O's complain, but it is normally about the fuel prices, and such repairs for the truck :lol: Im a company driver, but i have nothing to complain about other then my dispatchers are dumb, and cant figure out how to run me on a route that makes any since.

How well do you deal with stress, that is what is going to make you or break you out there IMO. Traffic, Shippers, DOT, Fuel Stop Cluster fk's, There is a lot of crap to deal with. I get stressed out daily, that just part of the job.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post
they'll also find stupid loopholes to get out of paying drivers what they're owed. too many companies get away with so much inhumane b.s..
The company I work for is not that bad. And my home time is great :thumbsup:

Quote:
i'm mentally exhausted and tired of the bullcrap.
Yes That is why I walked away in '97 and started operating equipment, plus the money with the Union is way better :lol:

Quote:
the crappy pay doesn't justify this garbage. i'm sick of being around a bunch of uneducated rednecks who do this because it's their only option in life. eff that, i'm sick of being around smelly, fat slobs with bad mullets, missing teeth, and ones who are convicted felons. there are also a crapload of religious nut jobs out there who make it their goal to convert you.
AMEN To That Brother:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited by --grande--; 03-19-2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: addition of text
Old 03-20-2009, 12:05 AM
Board Regular

I am just curious why you decided not to join the Army?

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:39 AM
Senior Board Member

New Drivers who get into Trucking who are promised the world by idoit ass recruiters only to find out that its not going to be no where close to that!! Finding out that Cindy or Joe didn't tell them about waiting a day or more inside your truck with nothing to do for a day at a truck stop filled with *****in ass driver's, tricks and johns (locations and conditions may vary) in a hot ass truck wtih no Trip pack...

Trucking isn't that bad...The most of the guys you see crying are OTR irregular route drivers who aren't getting their miles and so on... Happiness in trucking isn't something your going to receive overnight... It takes time, hard work and dedication and also a lot of sucking up.. I'm not happy at my current job but i'm making somewhat decent money and i'm working my way onto a better position.. No need to cry or quit and go to another company, like most other new driver's what of done..

Like Mr. Hobo says.. Trucking Isn't For Wussies!!! So question is are you a wussy??
Old 03-20-2009, 12:59 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Lips View Post
I am just curious why you decided not to join the Army?
well my uncle has been in the army foy 30 yrs and i had the privileg of going on base and talking to some of the soldiers and thats what changed my mind
Old 03-20-2009, 01:45 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gula197 View Post
well my uncle has been in the army foy 30 yrs and i had the privileg of going on base and talking to some of the soldiers and thats what changed my mind
Or, based on your complete lack of grammer, spelling, and punctuation, you could not pass the entrance exam.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gula197 View Post
I think you spoke to the wrong ones.... If your uncle managed 30 years, then it must not be all that bad right?

I did 10 years, two and half of that in Vietnam...and as far as I am concerned... I wish I had stayed another 20. Its a good career, and the pay is far better than it was when I was in.

If I had it to do over again.... I'd do it again, and stay til they threw me out!!

There are a lot of different MOS specialties in the Army, and curiously enough, there are quite a few that don't involve going into combat..... Hmmm, I guess that means I could've stayed out of the jungle?

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:01 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B View Post
Or, based on your complete lack of grammer, spelling, and punctuation, you could not pass the entrance exam.
shut up! i did pass it with a 92 so keep your negative comments to yourself i didnt start this thread for people like you
Old 03-20-2009, 02:09 AM
Senior Board Member

In answer to your original question....simply put: Some companies just SUCK! There are a number of them that fall into the group. But there are good ones out there.

One of the hardest things for new people to do is conform to the requirements. You are told when are where to be and how long you have to get there. Some people mistakenly think that they are in charge of the truck. In a few ways the driver is, but you have to do it on their terms. There are a significant number of people working in this industry, drivers, dispatchers, fleet managers, warehouse people, and others that seem to be psychologically unfit to do much more than live in a cave....and prove it on a daily basis. This is one industry where you can be fat, stupid, ugly and prove it daily and still get hired, and probably even keep your job. Let me repeat this one salient fact: Many people in this industry are fat, stupid, and ugly, and work very hard to prove it every day.

On the other hand, if you can get on with a reasonably good company, and get trained properly, and have a modicum of smarts, common sense, and self discipline.... and can stand to be away from home a couple of weeks at a time.... You might actually manage to cut it. Forget the notion that driving a truck is "romantic"...or that truck drivers are "the last cowboys"....thats all pure "bull****", pure and simple. Its a job, a means to make money, and thats all.

I've been doing it for 15 years, and have found my company and my niche. I'm content, and I get good home time, and I actually can and do run 100% legal and don't worry about much of anything....

Oh, there are also some very good and intelligent people working in the industry, some of them even post on this site..... :smokin:

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.