User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Lips View Post
WOW , what a depressing post! Seriously, are you okay? Not trying to be a dick or anything, but maybe you should see about some sort of deppresion meds.
Medicine doesn't help anyone and most doctors are quacks anyway, you probably own stock in a drug company though so that's understandable.

If I am depressed, maybe it's just because the thought of dealing with school(something I hate) is bringing it on.
School may make other people happy, but as I said before, after high school was finished I didn't want to see another 10 page assignment again.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Medicine doesn't help anyone and most doctors are quacks anyway, you probably own stock in a drug company though so that's understandable.

If I am depressed, maybe it's just because the thought of dealing with school(something I hate) is bringing it on.
School may make other people happy, but as I said before, after high school was finished I didn't want to see another 10 page assignment again.
The most successful people in life demand only the best, reguardless of how much they actually want it, and they don't let anything stop them, including bordem!

There is nothing wrong with being content with the simple needs being met, but without a hope for something better, even if it is only a slight hope, life will be meaningless and empty for you.

As an optimist, I have to agree with Biscuit, that post looked like something Marvin the robot from Hitchikers guide to the galaxy would write

I do understand though that school can be boring.

Growing up my dream was always to be a computer programmer, and you know what, that dream consumed my life up until I was 21 and I achieved that goal and became a professional one. I had a good job, making enough money to live pretty comfortably.

However that dream was conflicting with my desire for travel and a sense of adventure. I could of stayed in that profession until I saved up my money, and I retired and could of bought an RV and did that. However Sitting in my office in a warehouse off of I81 in PA and looking out the window and watching all the rigs drive by on the mountain in Wilkes Barre, that traveling dream started to consume me more and more.

I could of been content and stayed in that profession. But I strived to achieve something better for myself in life. I know some out there would say staying in that profession would of been better for me, and in reality it would most certainly be a more stable industry to work in. But the reality is that the money is pretty much the same (It wasn't about the money anyway), and it was a way to get paid to travel America and sometimes Canada.

I think I could of done much better then to go with Swift, and looking back at my start in my career, I wish I had started differently. But I don't regret how I started either. Once I had that accident with swift and they let me go, I had done the OTR thing for 7 months. I knew it was the lifestyle that I really liked, that I really fit into, and that I wanted to continue doing. It surely wasn't my childhood dream, but I already did my childhood dream and realized it wasn't everything I thought it would be. But I was trully happy living in the rig and traveling the country.

It took me a year to get back to driving after Swift let me go, everyone knows how tough this industry is, espially if you get a blow such as a rear ender with a following too close ticket, it is pretty much a career ender in this industry. For nearly 6 months I applied to nearly every single large company, I sent emails to every single trucking company in 6 different states! (That is literally over 20,000 companies I emailed). After 6 months I got burnt from sending emails, putting in apps, and being told no. But I certainly did not give up. I refused to not be able to get back into a truck, and every single possible lead I followed. Eventually one of those leads put me right back into a truck, it just took me a year to do it.

I learned from my mistake, the biggest lesson I learned is that you never let yourself get comfortable with your rig! The moment you get comfortable, is the moment you screw up.

But the whole point is, you do what you must to get by, but at the same time you do what you can to achieve the goals you have, and strive for your dreams and aspirations. You can do anything and achieve anything if you work at it.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 03-24-2009, 06:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Well, I did put in 13 months with Swift, then after 8 months I was able to get with this O/O in June of '08.
Stayed with them until January of this year when expenses caused the guy to shut the trucks down and put myself out of work.
So now, I'm just wondering if that 7 months of post-accident driving will be worth anything, along with the 13 I put in with Swift.

After driving a truck for that amount of time, I felt more comfortable working by myself, as opposed to being surrounded by associates all the time.
And as far as my opposition to school, I just don't want to become some office worker employed in some fast-moving city like most people my age aspire to be.

Now, as far as my life feeling empty, not at this moment.
Sure, no trucking job right now and I'm not in law-enforcement or emergency services.
I'm just glad I don't have a wife or kids to bother with right now, hell, not being held back by those types of burdens makes me feel better about myself all the time.

If anything, I should just thrust that thought to the front of my head whenever a truck rolls by.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Some of the bigger companies will hire you as long as you have atleast 6 months clean driving

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt