User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 03:24 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

gula197. I have been on o/o for over 10 years. trucking has worked out extremely well for me. It has been rough the last few months. but the way I look at it ... no one forced me to get into the trucking business & no one forces me to stay in. my life's circumstances are because of decisions I made, & only I change change them. so I dont complain much, or blame anyone. truck drivers are not the only ones hurting right now. you may just notice it more if your on boards like this. I am sure there are lots of other industries that it's workers are also complaining, like the auto industry, from the factory worker to the sales man on the dealer lot & so much more. I think times are bad for most every body, so you will hear more complaining. some are legit some are just whinners & some have self inflicted problems. just my humble opinion on this issue..
Old 03-20-2009, 07:49 AM
Senior Board Member

I like trucking and I love my job, if I had it all to do over again, would I? Yes but I would have stayed in the army for 20 then started trucking, that would really help even out those lean checks when your starting or when things are slow. Think about it, 20 years really isn't that long when you look back on it!
Old 03-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
I like trucking and I love my job, if I had it all to do over again, would I? Yes but I would have stayed in the army for 20 then started trucking, that would really help even out those lean checks when your starting or when things are slow. Think about it, 20 years really isn't that long when you look back on it!
20 years is only a quarter of your life

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 03-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There are good companies and bad companies just as there are good and bad drivers. Much of the problems some drivers have could be resolved by communicating with their dispatchers or driver managers. Some would prefer complaining than trying to solve their differences. There are some drivers who want everything their way and when that doesn't happen the get in a huff and quit. There are also dispatchers who have never driven a truck and don't have a clue as to how this business works and what a driver deals with on a daily basis. A lot of problems could be solved on both sides by sitting down and discussing their differences in a calm manner.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

A lot of people get into this with unrealistic expectations. The "job" is not adventurous, romantic, exciting, fun etc etc. Although it can be fun at times, especially in the beginning, it is a "job". You don't get to run when you want, where you want. You go where the freight is, when there is freight. You run when you're tired, when you're hungry, when you're sick. You are trapped in a six by six foot box for days or weeks at a time. Your time is abused by shippers, receivers, and dispatchers. The amount of uncompensated free time is incredible. It further feeds your frustration level. You waste your whole day (unpaid) getting loaded or empty because of everyone else's inefficiency and then you have to drive mad, tired, and generally pissed off all night long to make up for it. You make well thought out plans to be home on a certain day and as that day gets closer and closer you find yourself getting farther and farther from home because there just isn't any freight going in the right direction. Dispatch can't or won't help you and frustration grows out of control once again. You sleep a couple hours here or there when you can. Try to squeeze in a shower, meal or laundry when you can. You piss in Gatorade bottles. You apologize to family members who are pissed off at you because you can't get home to honor your promises but they just don't understand. When there is no freight you sit for hours or days (unpaid) waiting for the cell phone to ring or the qcomm to go off. You don't get to watch your favorite TV show or sports game because there's no time to stop. I could go on forever. Bottom line is that its a "job". A job that is not physically hard or mentally hard. But one that requires an unbelievable "time" commitment. You are rarely off duty. You rarely get to do what you want to do. It's that commitment that wears you down physically and mentally. Your mind goes numb from lack of use. Every highway looks the same. You lose contact with family and friends. Some days all you want is a home cooked meal and a real bed. When you do get home your so exhausted all you want to do is veg out and relax. But you have your chores to do. Your significant other gets ignored. For all this you earn 35-55k a year. For some its worth it but for many its just not enough money. It's not always like this. Some days are good. A gorgeous sunrise or beautiful landscape. A perfect high paying run with no complications. Good music on the radio. It happens occasionally. Some folks love the lifestyle. To them it's not about the money. For me it's just a job. I have a boss. I do what the company wants when they want. I drive local. When the job is done I go home. My time is my time. I could never do the OTR thing for a living. But it's a job that for the most part I enjoy while waiting for my winning lottery ticket.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:37 PM

Well said, Snowman7, well said.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Rookie
Smile

I've asked myself this very question several times over the years.

I drove for about 8 years, went through a divorce, ended up managing a very busy bowling center and getting married again along the way. Great job, hated the baby-sitting, didn't see eye-to-eye with corporate. So, on the advice of my now-wife, I returned to the road.

I've been back out 18 months. And just a week ago, my wife and I were on the way to see the grandbaby when she asked me "What did you want to be when you were a kid?".

I replied that I wanted to be a DJ. I did that for 13 years. I also remembered being in love with the sound and smells of that big yellow diesel-powered school bus going up and down the hills near our home in CA. Even then I noticed the different operators driving styles, notably that some used the clutch and some didn't.

So, having answered her question, I realized that I really enjoy what I do. Not every aspect of it, but most of it. However, I don't see myself doing the OTR gig for more than another 5 to 7 years or so (I'm 48 now). Still have to get two step-children thorough college and the ex has to sell the house I'm still legally obligated to. THEN I'll think about leaving OTR work until the next financial calamity arrives.

Skywalker made a great point. He found the right company and the right niche for himself. In essence, you have to find out what makes you content and happy, at least for the moment. But never lose sight of your goals. I think people in all walks of life tend to get bogged down in "day to day life" and forget about "living". It's particularly easy in this line of work, IMO.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7 View Post
A lot of people get into this with unrealistic expectations. The "job" is not adventurous, romantic, exciting, fun etc etc. Although it can be fun at times, especially in the beginning, it is a "job". You don't get to run when you want, where you want. You go where the freight is, when there is freight. You run when you're tired, when you're hungry, when you're sick. You are trapped in a six by six foot box for days or weeks at a time. Your time is abused by shippers, receivers, and dispatchers. The amount of uncompensated free time is incredible. It further feeds your frustration level. You waste your whole day (unpaid) getting loaded or empty because of everyone else's inefficiency and then you have to drive mad, tired, and generally pissed off all night long to make up for it. You make well thought out plans to be home on a certain day and as that day gets closer and closer you find yourself getting farther and farther from home because there just isn't any freight going in the right direction. Dispatch can't or won't help you and frustration grows out of control once again. You sleep a couple hours here or there when you can. Try to squeeze in a shower, meal or laundry when you can. You piss in Gatorade bottles. You apologize to family members who are pissed off at you because you can't get home to honor your promises but they just don't understand. When there is no freight you sit for hours or days (unpaid) waiting for the cell phone to ring or the qcomm to go off. You don't get to watch your favorite TV show or sports game because there's no time to stop. I could go on forever. Bottom line is that its a "job". A job that is not physically hard or mentally hard. But one that requires an unbelievable "time" commitment. You are rarely off duty. You rarely get to do what you want to do. It's that commitment that wears you down physically and mentally. Your mind goes numb from lack of use. Every highway looks the same. You lose contact with family and friends. Some days all you want is a home cooked meal and a real bed. When you do get home your so exhausted all you want to do is veg out and relax. But you have your chores to do. Your significant other gets ignored. For all this you earn 35-55k a year. For some its worth it but for many its just not enough money. It's not always like this. Some days are good. A gorgeous sunrise or beautiful landscape. A perfect high paying run with no complications. Good music on the radio. It happens occasionally. Some folks love the lifestyle. To them it's not about the money. For me it's just a job. I have a boss. I do what the company wants when they want. I drive local. When the job is done I go home. My time is my time. I could never do the OTR thing for a living. But it's a job that for the most part I enjoy while waiting for my winning lottery ticket.
Belpre or Lebron?? what have you done to our beloved snowman?? Bring him back!!
Old 03-21-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7 View Post

Would you mind if I printed out a copy of that to give to all my dispatchers.

None of them have ever been in a truck, wait one has been. The others have no clue.issedoff:

Great Read :thumbsup:
Old 03-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by --grande-- View Post
Would you mind if I printed out a copy of that to give to all my dispatchers.

None of them have ever been in a truck, wait one has been. The others have no clue.issedoff:

Great Read :thumbsup:

That will cost you $20.00 a copy. :lol::lol::smokin:

Someone's gotta make money here!!