User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default yellow~red

If I set both how will my truck idle more than 3-minutes while I run into C-store?
Old 11-19-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
These photos offer no real evidence other than a wrecked tractor is on a TMC flatbed...Bcause it's unknown if the photos were taken without having tampered with evidence b4 photos were taken...And I don't see 1 photo of the tractor ...wonder why, is there tell tale signs these bumpkins pushed it with set breaks ?
Do you honestly think that a picture was taken of the wheel tracks because they think the brakes were set? The only reason that picture is there is to show that the truck rolled freely from the dock. Why else would I have posted this?

Oh, big cat wheel loader. Lemme guess it considerably outweighs this tractor, and is directly pushing a truck, ok i see that now. But this tractor indirectly pushing a truck away from the dock with brakes set.

Do you think tractors have been unloaded from this dock before, with a step deck trailer, w/o any hiccup?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorlee View Post
Do you honestly think that a picture was taken of the wheel tracks because they think the brakes were set? The only reason that picture is there is to show that the truck rolled freely from the dock. Why else would I have posted this?

Oh, big cat wheel loader. Lemme guess it considerably outweighs this tractor, and is directly pushing a truck, ok i see that now. But this tractor indirectly pushing a truck away from the dock with brakes set.

Do you think tractors have been unloaded from this dock before, with a step deck trailer, w/o any hiccup?

Yes it outweighs this tractor...But it were not talking about shoving 78k lbs for 30ft withease and no leverage ..w.e're talking moving a few feet and with leverage on what I'm sure is far lighter than 78k lbs.

Also the dock is a hazard ,and it does'nt matter if they used it 1000x it still represents a hazard one they have had 1000x to correct ,but have'nt ...Just because it's been used in an unsafe manner without incidence many times does'nt make it unsafe .
Old 11-19-2008, 11:19 PM

:argue: :surrender:
Old 11-20-2008, 12:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorlee View Post
:argue: :surrender:
Do you feel like you've been banging yer head against that concrete dock there Jorlee???
Old 11-20-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Do you feel like you've been banging yer head against that concrete dock there Jorlee???
:banghead: Not really. I feel like: A. I'm too smart for my own good. B. I have too much common sense. and C. I question my current knowlege.

Ya, that sounds really good.

I should have just went and drove my uncles truck, and stayed off the farm for a bit.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
only pull the red one when dropping my trailer...If the tractor breaks are set...yellow knob pulled...you should''nt go anyhere when being loaded or emptied ,and if you do it's the fault of who is loading or unloading you because if they can push the tk/trlr with all 3 tractor axles set they're going to move you with the trailer breaks set ...

I've been pushed by loaders b4 getting hay loaded in a dry van first shove I thought it was immagination 2nd I realized I was sliding ,so i set trlr breaks...And it made no differece...I had amost a full load of hay when that front end loader was packing the last few bails ,so he was pushing about 70k lbs ...I've had guys push me from dock with a regular lift getting loaded with loose dirt under me with the first pallet on b/c I was on loose sand and no weight in the trailer yet for grip,And the loader thought he was at Talladega ...
Think you may want to have a little chat with the shop about your brakes.

Things may have changed over the last few years, but not all that long ago, when you set the tractor brakes, you ONLY SET ONE AXLE. If you have the diffs locked, those spring brakes will affect two drive axles, but the steers have no spring brakes. It is not possible for you to set 3 tractor axles, unless you have a way of locking the brake peddle down.

Like I said, you might want to confirm this with your shop.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeTURBO View Post
Think you may want to have a little chat with the shop about your brakes.

Things may have changed over the last few years, but not all that long ago, when you set the tractor brakes, you ONLY SET ONE AXLE. If you have the diffs locked, those spring brakes will affect two drive axles, but the steers have no spring brakes. It is not possible for you to set 3 tractor axles, unless you have a way of locking the brake peddle down.

Like I said, you might want to confirm this with your shop.

Well then I never thought of that
and no I normally don't lock the diff in so just 1 axle...But this changes little because I've never been pushed by normal unloading ,and never had the truck roll on steep grade with 46k lb loads held back by just that 1 set of breaks ...And you can't use the service breaks when parking break is applied because the valving will not allow it , as to prevent compounding ...So like I said if this driver set his tractor breaks, and they did'nt ask then I see him doing no wrong...And with an air ride trailer and that dock I see them not asking or wanting him to set the breaks ,because it would drop the trailer even lower .
Old 11-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Board Regular

BJ, if you are implying that one braking axle is just as good as three, you are out of your mind. If you don't believe me, try it for yourself!

Get a nice, heavy load, at 5 MPH in a parking lot, and pull JUST the yellow button...and see how powerful that ONE axle is. Then, try again, pulling BOTH buttons, setting both trailer axles and tractor axle.

Not sure why ANYONE would ever do that! It's not like it takes more than a second or two to release your trailer brakes...Just setting the tractor brakes because you THINK it's good enough is RECKLESS.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Senior Board Member
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
BJ, if you are implying that one braking axle is just as good as three, you are out of your mind. If you don't believe me, try it for yourself!

Get a nice, heavy load, at 5 MPH in a parking lot, and pull JUST the yellow button...and see how powerful that ONE axle is. Then, try again, pulling BOTH buttons, setting both trailer axles and tractor axle.

Just setting the tractor brakes because you THINK it's good enough is RECKLESS.
Doing that to a truck's brake system is reckless. The system is designed to be activated AFTER the equipment has come to a complete stop, using the service brakes. This is a good way to damage hardware components.