Old 11-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
Originally Posted by YankeeTURBO
:bow::bow::bow::clap::clap::clap::lol2::lol2::lol2 ::jump::bigthumbsup:

This from a person who thinks an open carrier puts twist to both axle shafts on anything but dry pavement with fairly level surface ... spelling has and always will be the last resort of an unkowledgable party when they know they're wrong , but lack technical knowledge to argue further on the subject ,and resort to grammar in a post ,which has little to do with the post ...unless this has become a spelling B contest , but they don't allow spell check in the spelling B ...not even the ones that give you
alternate spellings ,so you are sure to use the correct spellng ...But then again spelling is very important when internet trucking ,so I should'nt over look it's importance when typing to folk who only drive a desk...wink
First of all, I did not attack your spelling. I can leave that to others, and applaud them for the fine job they do.

Second, you might consider a few lessions in PHYSICS, and a good source would be MIT/opencourseware. You don't have to pay any tuition, just buy the books.

The fact is that it does put twist, or torque, on both axle shafts. And, in our cases, all four of them. It is the wheel that breaks loose that robs that torque from the rest. However...
fftopic:
Please explain what this has to do with setting all the brakes in a loading dock?

Old 11-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You haven't figured out what his Modus Operandi is yet? He's simply trying to confuse everyone by randomly throwing various subjects into the thread, thereby taking a giant dump on the thread itself. He is then getting off on everyone chasing him around.

He's trolling.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Senior Board Member

This thread is so off track....I doubt jorlee is even looking at it.

Last edited by Orangetxguy; 11-24-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeTURBO View Post
First of all, I did not attack your spelling. I can leave that to others, and applaud them for the fine job they do.

Second, you might consider a few lessions in PHYSICS, and a good source would be MIT/opencourseware. You don't have to pay any tuition, just buy the books.

The fact is that it does put twist, or torque, on both axle shafts. And, in our cases, all four of them. It is the wheel that breaks loose that robs that torque from the rest. However...
fftopic:
Please explain what this has to do with setting all the brakes in a loading dock?

Nope with an open carrier the wheel with most traction will be the 1 sitting still when you're stuck and torque will bias to the wheel with the least grip...This should be obvious to anyone who has ever been stuck and seen that only 1 wheel was spinning...this is because torque just like water or electricity will follow the path that offers the least resistance...so once a tire on an unlocked axle experiences traction loss it becomes the only wheel receiving torque...you might want to choose another topic to argue with on besides this ,as there is no difference between how this stuff works on a big truck axle than any other car ,which I 'm positive my knowledge vastly exceeds yours having been buiding 4x4 vehicles for 1.5 decades which if you're telling me an open diff puts equal torque to both axle shafts when 1 tire loses grip you are what I would consider a complete noob when it comes drivtrain tech ,and should do some reading....Infact head on over to pirate4x4.com and discuss your knowledge of how an open carrier works...but please wait until Tuesday,as that's dumb phuck day .

Tom, I bet you could'nt knock a hole in wet paper bag with a fist full of hammers there son .

Last edited by BIG JEEP on 44's; 11-24-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
You haven't figured out what his Modus Operandi is yet? He's simply trying to confuse everyone by randomly throwing various subjects into the thread, thereby taking a giant dump on the thread itself. He is then getting off on everyone chasing him around.

He's trolling.

You're the undisputed godfather of this ,no one can hijack a thread like you .
Old 11-24-2008, 11:47 PM
Board Regular

Hrmm...gotta love it. I even posted the definition of differential, which includes the statement that torque is always equal...

Now, I KNOW you can read...maybe you think you know more than the engineers that designed it? :clap:

I'm done with this thread. :zzz: It's been discussed over and over again, with the consensus being that it's a wise move to set ALL brakes when at a loading dock. With few exceptions, NOBODY ever explained to me whey drivers feel they have to park with only tractor brakes when there's no threat of freezing.

Great job, BJ...I think your credibility is about as high as Steve Booth's was before he left.:rofl:
Old 11-25-2008, 02:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
Hrmm...gotta love it. I even posted the definition of differential, which includes the statement that torque is always equal...

Now, I KNOW you can read...maybe you think you know more than the engineers that designed it? :clap:

I'm done with this thread. :zzz: It's been discussed over and over again, with the consensus being that it's a wise move to set ALL brakes when at a loading dock. With few exceptions, NOBODY ever explained to me whey drivers feel they have to park with only tractor brakes when there's no threat of freezing.

Great job, BJ...I think your credibility is about as high as Steve Booth's was before he left.:rofl:

Last edited by BIG JEEP on 44's; 11-25-2008 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post

Ok the problem in our discussion is that I'm using the wrong terminology with you on this ,which is my fault B/C in my hobby we just call things wrong sometimes and use popular slang/terminology but know what everyonev means...for example we call an entire axle assembly a differential...when that's really just 1 part inside the axle housing...And we just say torque when discussing differentials which is wrong term...but the correct term is rotational force ,which is not equal on an open differential in situations where 1 tire on an axle loses substantial traction ...But the outcome is just a I outlined ...Now please go out with your open diff and try to obtain equal tracion to a locked diff ,and tell me how it plays out .
Old 11-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Board Icon

Okay - the subject is setting brakes when being loaded or unloaded. Let's get it back on topic.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
Ok the problem in our discussion is that I'm using the wrong terminology with you on this ,which is my fault B/C in my hobby we just call things wrong sometimes and use popular slang/terminology but know what everyonev means...for example we call an entire axle assembly a differential...when that's really just 1 part inside the axle housing...And we just say torque when discussing differentials which is wrong term...but the correct term is rotational force ,which is not equal on an open differential in situations where 1 tire on an axle loses substantial traction ...But the outcome is just a I outlined ...Now please go out with your open diff and try to obtain equal tracion to a locked diff ,and tell me how it plays out .
No. The problem with out discussion is...
The only differential that may have any effect on setting the brakes is the inter-axle differential. That would allow braking action to effect both drive axles if it is locked. However, the amount of braking can vary, depending on the condition of the springs inside the chambers, which you can not see. Springs that are weakened by... Corrosion, perhaps, will not hold as much load as new ones. And, locking the axles only distributes that amount of braking to two more drive wheels.

The more brakes you apply, they better your chances of not rolling away from the dock. And, that means two more axles on the trailer.