User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeTURBO View Post
And, a bad chamber would mean no parking brake on that wheel. It would also mean that BIG JEEP on 44's, by only setting the tractor brake, would only have one wheel holding the tractor and trailer. :eek2::eek2::eek2:
Naaaah, CAN'T BE! I mean...after all...everybody's doing it!

Right BJ?:lol2:
Old 11-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
Naaaah, CAN'T BE! I mean...after all...everybody's doing it!

Right BJ?:lol2:

Well nearly every driver I ever ran into ...And when drivers park you can tell if they set the trailer brakes just by the sound ,and I rarely hear the sound of trailer air dumping ...But that's just what I hear ,but I'm sure internet trucking is different .
Old 11-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
Well nearly every driver I ever ran into ...And when drivers park you can tell if they set the trailer brakes just by the sound ,and I rarely hear the sound of trailer air dumping ...But that's just what I hear ,but I'm sure internet trucking is different .
Are you talking about the sudden, loud whoosh of the reserve air? Or the long, low hiss of the air-bags deflating? Not all trailers release the air from the air-bags when you set the trailer brakes.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Board Icon

Not every trailer dumps its air when the trailer brakes are set. The trailer I'm pulling right now doesn't.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
Not every trailer dumps its air when the trailer brakes are set. The trailer I'm pulling right now doesn't.

Most big companies like Swift,Werner,Schneider,and USX have air ride trailers that make a very distinct sound when that air is released from pulling that red knob...And most new model air ride trailers by Wabash,Dane,And Stoughton all have a very auidible sound when red knob pulled and air dumped...Now take a trailer count of trailers at any large T/S that DO NOT fit this description ,and you have just a few ,and you will also have 99% of the lot parked with just the yellow knob pulled ...That's real world fact not 48/internet or do you only run...INTRANET ...EH HOSER ?
Old 11-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
That's real world fact
Nope, it's not. Most carriers use trailers from several different manufacturers, as well as trailers with different production years. Every one of the trailers I pull is an air ride trailer, yet I've only pulled one that dumped the air when the red knob was pulled. In fact, some trailers have a seperate valve by the trailer tandems that must be pulled to release the air from the bags.

Couple that with the fact that I seriously doubt you are spending your time checking whether Swift, Werner, Schneider and USX trucks have released their trailer brakes when parked at a truck stop.

But beyond even that, we aren't discussing whether drivers are releasing their trailer brakes at a truck stop. We are discussing the impact of not releasing trailer brakes when being loaded or unloaded. Parking at a truck stop is not the same as being loaded or unloaded.

Now I know (by your own admission) that you are simply trying to create an argument from a nonsensical point of view, but you are simply crapping all over what is a very good discussion. If you'd like, I can direct you to some other trucking message boards that might suit you better for this.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
Nope, it's not. Most carriers use trailers from several different manufacturers, as well as trailers with different production years. Every one of the trailers I pull is an air ride trailer, yet I've only pulled one that dumped the air when the red knob was pulled. In fact, some trailers have a seperate valve by the trailer tandems that must be pulled to release the air from the bags.

Couple that with the fact that I seriously doubt you are spending your time checking whether Swift, Werner, Schneider and USX trucks have released their trailer brakes when parked at a truck stop.

But beyond even that, we aren't discussing whether drivers are releasing their trailer brakes at a truck stop. We are discussing the impact of not releasing trailer brakes when being loaded or unloaded. Parking at a truck stop is not the same as being loaded or unloaded.

Now I know (by your own admission) that you are simply trying to create an argument from a nonsensical point of view, but you are simply crapping all over what is a very good discussion. If you'd like, I can direct you to some other trucking message boards that might suit you better for this.

Actually I'm dead serious on that last post ,and the manufacturers I listed most of the time are what those companies are pulling...that's fact...and I can hear the release when one pops the red knob and if I dont hear it then those trailer brakes are not set ,well I amost never hear it at docks or T/S so they are not set...infact I should next week at work take a quick poll of REAL drivers while they sit at the docks of just who has trailer breaks set ...I guarantee not many if any ,and then just on down the way a bit is the wheatridge T/A ,and I thnk I need a moutain city skillet for breakfast ,so I might get a questionare of drivers there that are parkd with trailer breaks set ,and if they set them normally while getting loaded or emptied...Heck many drivers have laptops and love the internet ,so maybe they would get a kick out of those who seem to be contradicting the way most drivers park ...
Old 11-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Yes many older trucks only have spring brakes on one axle. This can be extremely dangerous, if one spring brakes, now you only have one brake holding the truck!

As far as pulling the yellow button while moving, this will absolutely NOT damage brakes. However, there is an exception, and it's called compounding. Using the emergency brakes and service brakes at the same time will definitely cause damage. Some trucks have anti-compounding valves, but they do not provide 100% protection. If you make a 100 psi service application, then pull the yellow valve, the anti-compounding valve will not help that situation. It only helps the opposite(yellow button out, THEN service brake application).

There are situations where it's a good idea to pull out the yellow or red while moving. One would be going down a hill, and your emergency line ruptures. You might as well pull the red button now, before both valves pop. At least if you pull it, you have control over your tractor brakes.

As far as spring chambers, I was replacing one every 6 months. Then I stopped buying cheap spring chambers. Haldex Lifeseal only, completely sealed and they've lasted about 4 years now.

The spring corrodes, breaks, then punctures the diaphragm. Now you have a huge leak. It may take a few weeks/months for the diaphragm to puncture, but in the mean time you have no parking on that one brake.

Whenever greasing the truck, bang the spring chambers. If they rattle, they're shot.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Board Regular

we leave our trailer brakes released when bulk loading so the air scales will work. most times i got no problem with setting the trailer brakes when getting out. im sure any accident investigator would ask why not set them and i would not advocate not setting the trailer brakes to a new driver.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Senior Board Member

both brake knobs on my truck are black and silver so I don't know what to do!!