User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Here you go again, BJ...

Attacking something or someone that you know nothing about. You go so far as to tell someone he's lying about his 4-year driving record because he never hit a deer, then Stan comes on and has never hit one in 30.

Nobody can deny there's luck involved here with either hitting two in a year, or not hitting one in 30, but there is ALSO some driving ability there, too!

So, what you really are saying is that you have nothing to add here with the exception of attacking someone who comes on here and knows a lot more about what possibly happened than you do.

Anyway....

What is Swift's policy on training? I know companies, like CR England, expect the trainee to run like a team. Others, like Roehl and Con-Way, insist the trainer be there to instruct, and NOT run as a team. How does Swift do it?
Old 11-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post

What is Swift's policy on training? I know companies, like CR England, expect the trainee to run like a team. Others, like Roehl and Con-Way, insist the trainer be there to instruct, and NOT run as a team. How does Swift do it?
my mentor stayed in the passenger seat while i was driving. there are many out there who operate like a team, which i believe is wrong. then again, i am only a company driver. they won't really listen to me. although i've been asked several times if i wanted to become a mentor, and i don't. i don't want to put my life in the hands of somebody who may be incompetent as ****. plus, i like sleeping in a stationary vehicle. one more thing, i also cannot stand it when others snore. snoring or any other annoying sounds while i'm trying to sleep will result in that person not getting any sleep.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswans View Post
. . or the facts straight. And that's a 4 year rookie, by the way.

. . the trainer required some sleep and all good trainers know sleep is best accomplished in the sleeper.

. . OK. But can I use the "How to respond to the flagrant ignoramous . . " pamphlet instead?

Swift operates lots of trucks and employs lots of Drivers. Sooner or later, anyone in this business will observe a Swift Driver doing something stupid, dangerous and/or potentially fatal. It's a numbers game. If two Drivers witness same, they will fire up the truckernuts and holler on the CB. Now everybody's a witness and they'll swear to it! As would be the case in any large organization, some morons do slip through the cracks. I hope, you hope, we all hope they will find their way out of the business without taking anyone else with them.

Swift has a very respectable training program which has placed thousands of Drivers behind the wheel at hundreds of trucking companies. Other companies like hiring Swift Drivers because of the depth of the training, the work ethic and the diverse freight base Swift Drivers are exposed to.

Run along now . . Oh! Start another thread. Ask people to offer their definition of a "Professional Driver". I'd be curious to learn if a neophyte windbag such as yourself would set some kind of standard.
Still waiting for your answer as to why the so called " trainer " was in the bunk......:roll:

Oh and one other thing..... Swift does not have a reputable training progam either..... Didja ferget that little thing last spring when the Feds raided their school back east ????:thumbsup:
Old 11-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
Here you go again, BJ...

Attacking something or someone that you know nothing about. You go so far as to tell someone he's lying about his 4-year driving record because he never hit a deer, then Stan comes on and has never hit one in 30.

Nobody can deny there's luck involved here with either hitting two in a year, or not hitting one in 30, but there is ALSO some driving ability there, too!

So, what you really are saying is that you have nothing to add here with the exception of attacking someone who comes on here and knows a lot more about what possibly happened than you do.

Anyway....

I never replied to anyone drivin 4yrs or less ...But it seems niether of our posts add any insight or knowledge the thread topic ...

Now if you're a potential rookie looking for a company that does'nt run student/trainer anything like a team...good luck !...Bcause pretty much all companies have identical policy ...and all companies pretty much run you the same...Yes there are a few trainers that run like a solo ...some even straight who just like to teach and share a sleeping space of 6x8 ft lol...but the majority do it to make decent money at these big carriers ,so your chance of getting a selfless saint are slim...after all what really normal guy wants to risk his life and have his privacy invaded for maybe an extra $150wk trainer pay on top of a rookie students solo miles if the company even pays trainer extra...many pay just cpm for all miles rolled and some even drop cpm a cent or 2 ...And finally you can wreck and kill the trainer just fine with trainer sitting in the jump seat training you proper ...what sane individual would bother with that risk for solo rookie student mile pay and maybe an extra $150 wk.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
Still waiting for your answer as to why the so called " trainer " was in the bunk......:roll:

Oh and one other thing..... Swift does not have a reputable training progam either..... Didja ferget that little thing last spring when the Feds raided their school back east ????:thumbsup:

Ah.. we have found the new "Carnac the Magnificent" :clap:...:bow:

and exactly what was the purpose of the raid and what was it's outcome?
Old 11-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Board Regular

how does one train with their eyes closed laying down with the curtain pulled? if he was a trainer at all he would have at LEAST been awake and aware as to what was going on with HIS truck. this so called trainer is responsible for someone dying. had he been doing his job then he MAY have been able to prevent this tragedy. and that goes for any trainer with any company!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Senior Board Member
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
Like I said you stated you can avoid a deer by using the smith system ...keeping your head lights clean/proprly aimed...not over driving your headlights...yeah ok LOL...oh and using your peripheral vision...Well if you can spot deer in the heavy brush at night with your peripheral vision your real good superman...How do you adapt the smith system to an object that comes from the blind shoulder of the road which can't be seen until it runs infront of you at only 100ft which is well within the range of even low beam ...truth is 300ft of headlight view is still going to be a possible collision at 55-65 with a deer since it's not visible like a car with headlights/markers before your headlights illuminate it at 300ft which the basic math on stoppin at 55-65 says you travel almost 300ft before you even physically start to slow down...which is why hitting a deer is considered non preventable even by big companies who report nearly everything to dac...

Now my point is if you want to insist hitting a deer is preventable by paying attention using your prescribed format then why were'nt you able to see the car using same infoulable prescribed format and avoid the incident afterall it's not like the car jumped out of the brush unexpcted and invisible until bounding out infront of you...Hummm

I question you here because you claim driving heavily deer populated roads frequently for years and do not point to the obvious for not htting an animal ...extreme luck...And bascaly say hitting a deer is an act of being careless...But I guess it is hard to hit a deer on the internet superhighway...lol

You know....this is going to be my last comment to you Big.

You started right off calling me a liar in so many words. You can go back through my posts to you in this discussion and cut and paste where I have said hitting a deer was an act of carelessness. I don't believe I did..but if you can point it out...please do.

I have never hit a deer, an elk, or a moose, a cow, a sheep or a horse, while driving my personal vehicle, a farm vehicle or a commercial vehicle. There....that statement goes back to when I was 12 years old and first started driving. I grew up in Southwest Montana. Plenty of all of the described animals on the roads there, year round.
I have seen lot's of animals killed on the roads of this country. I have seen plenty of PEOPLE killed while walking along the roads of this country. I have had friends and even a brother hit animals. Nobody I know has ever killed a Human walking along a road.
My father hit a cow in 1970. He was driving a 1948 farm truck loaded with hay. The cow was standing in the middle of his lane. He hit it at speed, because he was pouring himself a cup of coffee from his thermos and did not see the cow. It was a Black Angus. he got a traffic ticket because he hit the cow. In Montana "Cattle" have the right of way on roadways.

In my accident, I was aware that the car that hit me was on my left side. I was not paying a great deal of attention to that car however, because there was a car that had come onto the roadway back at the Sno-King line, which, instead of speeding off down the road like most cars and pickups do in the Seattle metro area at 2 AM, was pacing me right at my steer axle. Once the car failed to drive away from me, it became the focus of my attention. I was prepared to stop "If" that car made it's way into my lane of travel. When I saw that other car going under my trailer I like to have crapped my shorts, but I did not make a panic manuever, I stayed in my lane, and stopped in a straight line, in my lane. My trailer tore that car up, it was a 1989 Nissan Sentra, then spit it back out from under the trailer, sending it skidding across 4 lanes of I-5, into the center barrier wall, just short of the start of the Express Lanes, which were open to southbound traffic.

Right up until the WSP informed ARCO about what they saw on the traffic tapes, I EXPECTED to be fired for the accident. Until they showed me the movie, I held myself at fault, for not having seen the car headed into my trailer sooner, for not having gotten off the freeway, once the car that was camped on my steer did not clear...for any number of reasons...I held myself at fault.
In 1997 every driver employeed at ARCO, was shown that tape of my accident, to make them aware of the fact that cars and people were out there on the roadway, seeking money by having accidents with trucks. The man driving that Nissan was convicted of Insurance Fraud and Manslaughter. He and his friends had caused accidents, some of which resulted in death, in AZ, CA, NV and WA. The man in the Nissan was incredibly lucky that the trailer simply spit his car back out from under the tank. It could have been much more sever an accident, and the little "Peckerhead" could have...and should have..died.
Some of those accidents in CA and AZ involved Werner, Swift and Knight trucks. Sward trucking was involved in one particularly bad accident...8 people died in it. Sward is a flatbed carrier based in CA. All those accidents were determined to be Insurance Fraud, and were classified as Crimes, not accidents.

Now..Once again...My position on the accident..which Big Diesel started this topic about, IS......

This thread isn't about me...it isn't about you.
A man died in an accident that should not have happened. HE had a TRAINER in the truck. That trainer should have been doing the job he was paid for...training. He should have been awake and in the right seat paying attention, not in the sleeper with his eyes closed.

If there were circumstances that caused Mr. Fay to swerve to avoid another vehicle, then the traffic cameras will show it, and the WSP will act upon it. IF they see another car had beeninvolved with the truck at the scene.....one that was not present when they all arrived at the scene of the accident...the WSP will use City, County and State cameras to track down any car that might have been involved. They are very good at their jobs.

I feel bad for Mr. Fay's family and friends. He should not be dead. Something was going on that the trainer should have indentified, controlled and corrected, from the right seat, where he belonged. THAT IS MY POSITION.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
You know....this is going to be my last comment to you Big.

You started right off calling me a liar in so many words. You can go back through my posts to you in this discussion and cut and paste where I have said hitting a deer was an act of carelessness. I don't believe I did..but if you can point it out...please do.

I have never hit a deer, an elk, or a moose, a cow, a sheep or a horse, while driving my personal vehicle, a farm vehicle or a commercial vehicle. There....that statement goes back to when I was 12 years old and first started driving. I grew up in Southwest Montana. Plenty of all of the described animals on the roads there, year round.
I have seen lot's of animals killed on the roads of this country. I have seen plenty of PEOPLE killed while walking along the roads of this country. I have had friends and even a brother hit animals. Nobody I know has ever killed a Human walking along a road.
My father hit a cow in 1970. He was driving a 1948 farm truck loaded with hay. The cow was standing in the middle of his lane. He hit it at speed, because he was pouring himself a cup of coffee from his thermos and did not see the cow. It was a Black Angus. he got a traffic ticket because he hit the cow. In Montana "Cattle" have the right of way on roadways.

In my accident, I was aware that the car that hit me was on my left side. I was not paying a great deal of attention to that car however, because there was a car that had come onto the roadway back at the Sno-King line, which, instead of speeding off down the road like most cars and pickups do in the Seattle metro area at 2 AM, was pacing me right at my steer axle. Once the car failed to drive away from me, it became the focus of my attention. I was prepared to stop "If" that car made it's way into my lane of travel. When I saw that other car going under my trailer I like to have crapped my shorts, but I did not make a panic manuever, I stayed in my lane, and stopped in a straight line, in my lane. My trailer tore that car up, it was a 1989 Nissan Sentra, then spit it back out from under the trailer, sending it skidding across 4 lanes of I-5, into the center barrier wall, just short of the start of the Express Lanes, which were open to southbound traffic.

Right up until the WSP informed ARCO about what they saw on the traffic tapes, I EXPECTED to be fired for the accident. Until they showed me the movie, I held myself at fault, for not having seen the car headed into my trailer sooner, for not having gotten off the freeway, once the car that was camped on my steer did not clear...for any number of reasons...I held myself at fault.
In 1997 every driver employeed at ARCO, was shown that tape of my accident, to make them aware of the fact that cars and people were out there on the roadway, seeking money by having accidents with trucks. The man driving that Nissan was convicted of Insurance Fraud and Manslaughter. He and his friends had caused accidents, some of which resulted in death, in AZ, CA, NV and WA. The man in the Nissan was incredibly lucky that the trailer simply spit his car back out from under the tank. It could have been much more sever an accident, and the little "Peckerhead" could have...and should have..died.
Some of those accidents in CA and AZ involved Werner, Swift and Knight trucks. Sward trucking was involved in one particularly bad accident...8 people died in it. Sward is a flatbed carrier based in CA. All those accidents were determined to be Insurance Fraud, and were classified as Crimes, not accidents.

Now..Once again...My position on the accident..which Big Diesel started this topic about, IS......

This thread isn't about me...it isn't about you.
A man died in an accident that should not have happened. HE had a TRAINER in the truck. That trainer should have been doing the job he was paid for...training. He should have been awake and in the right seat paying attention, not in the sleeper with his eyes closed.

If there were circumstances that caused Mr. Fay to swerve to avoid another vehicle, then the traffic cameras will show it, and the WSP will act upon it. IF they see another car had beeninvolved with the truck at the scene.....one that was not present when they all arrived at the scene of the accident...the WSP will use City, County and State cameras to track down any car that might have been involved. They are very good at their jobs.

I feel bad for Mr. Fay's family and friends. He should not be dead. Something was going on that the trainer should have indentified, controlled and corrected, from the right seat, where he belonged. THAT IS MY POSITION.
Well your a lucky driver nothing more to it...Oh and the new avatar looks like you stoll it off a dollar store t-shirt... you might consider getting the old one back.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Board Regular

i find it amusing that when someone points out the faults in big jeeps logic he is quick with a school yard quip that trys to attack someone. it is lucky that orange never hit a deer, but there is good information in what he said, and anyone with a brain would see that. he simply stated some facts about safe driving techniques, and states that he uses those in his day day to driving. this time of year if you are not looking and anticipating a deer to come out or just be standing in front of you then i will say that you are not a safe driver. if you are a trainer that goes to the bunk and sleeps when your trainee is driving then i would say you are a piece of shit scumbucket that has not right even driving a truck. all that guy in the bunk was doing was making extra money for himself, he had zero interest in teaching that driver any of the things that orange mentioned regarding safe driving. and the only thing that is even close to being as bad about the guy loosing his life, is the fact that, that dumb basturd will probably be training again here shortly.

in regards to the swift training, any company that would allow a trainer to sleep while the 3 week trainee drive is an assbag company that should be removed from this industry one way or another. but all of these so called training companies do this all the time, so lets not just judge swift. there are other piece of shit companies that do this to make money just like all the others. they get team miles out of a solo truck and pay the trainee 300 bucks a week to run a team operation and teach themselves to drive.

so lets here it big jeep, insult the pic of angus or something to try to get a rise out of me. or better yet you better take your ball and go home...you are way outmatched here by people that know far far more than you. and i don't mean myself..guys like orange, tf, big d, etc.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Board Regular

Good post, JD....

Quote:
Now if you're a potential rookie looking for a company that does'nt run student/trainer anything like a team...good luck !...Bcause pretty much all companies have identical policy ...and all companies pretty much run you the same...Yes there are a few trainers that run like a solo ...some even straight who just like to teach and share a sleeping space of 6x8 ft lol...but the majority do it to make decent money at these big carriers ,so your chance of getting a selfless saint are slim...after all what really normal guy wants to risk his life and have his privacy invaded for maybe an extra $150wk trainer pay on top of a rookie students solo miles if the company even pays trainer extra...many pay just cpm for all miles rolled and some even drop cpm a cent or 2 ...And finally you can wreck and kill the trainer just fine with trainer sitting in the jump seat training you proper ...what sane individual would bother with that risk for solo rookie student mile pay and maybe an extra $150 wk.
:thumbsdown:

"pretty much all the companies", huh? Funny how, the only two companies I have EVER worked for driving a truck strictly do NOT PERMIT RUNNING AS A TEAM. CRE is the only big company I know of that makes a policy of it...but I didn't know about most others, such as Swift. That's why I ASKED...and did not ASSume. :moon: