User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 02:12 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoe View Post
I was a recruiter for Gordon Trucking from 2003 to 2004 so the information I have on them may be dated.

Gordon's policy was extremely clear. Student driving then the trainer was in the jump seat logging on duty not driving. Period!!

As far as other companies coveting Swift drivers because of their excellent training? When I was at Gordon the recruiting department's policy was to shy away from Swift trained drivers when possible, due to their poor training.

Like OrangeTX, I've driven a commercial vehicle 100's of times through that stretch and it's a curve that requires paying attention but not a high degree of difficulty. It is very sad that the trainee died but if anything positive comes from this it might be that Swift's and other companies training policy are revised.
I talked with my brother this morning. He was about 10 minutes behind the accident, headed to Portland for a load of lube oil. He told me the accident was right at the 105 exit (State ST/Capitol Blvd), before the overpass.. The traffic was getting off the 105 exit, then making the left to get back onto I-5 on the south side of the overpass. So there wasn't even a hard curve. My Bro told me that there was talk on the CB about one of the local gashaulers being NB and seeing the Swift truck hydro-planing through the standing water, which is common through that stretch of road.

He was gonna check over the weekend and get back on what else he could find out. Myself...I'm wondering if the video isn't going to show the Swift truck swerving to avoid an exiting car or 3.

Now...If the truck had rolled down at the 101 interchange....the conditions are more severe, but the curve is still managable. LOL.....some of you don't want to know how fast I would slip through that interchange at midnight, when I was headed south to Centralia or Chehalis.

If the truck had rolled at the 101 though...it would have been over on the right shoulder...not on the center median barrier.

dobry4u, I don't have a problem with the company. It really doesn't matter who the truck belonged to. I simply have a problem with a trainer being in the sleeper, sleeping, when the trainee doesn't have enough driving experience to justify it. It does not matter the company name.

It's pretty cut and dry. A man died whom shouldn't have, on a stetch of road that even in bad weather, isn't that difficult to negotiate. Somewhere along the line, that man's training was extremely lacking.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
Big D wrote:

Then Dobry4u wrote:

Big D wrote: :rofl:

cdswans wrote:

She may be a Swift noob...... but she is a smart Swift noob.

Lesson learned: Don't try to ignore the facts when trying to prove your point. You may get called on it. Then trying to fling out an insult to redirect the focus only makes you look MORE foolish.

Rookie - 1

Super Trucker-0
Classy quote from a so called " Admin ".....:roll:

Are you baiting ????
Old 11-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post

It's pretty cut and dry. A man died whom shouldn't have, on a stetch of road that even in bad weather, isn't that difficult to negotiate. Somewhere along the line, that man's training was extremely lacking.

I know everyone has a stiff appendage for Swift ...but he had driving school /3+ wks on the job training ,so I would think he should be capable of holding the wheel on an easy stretch of highway ...and in your own words ...Orangetxguy WROTE--"on a stetch of road that even in bad weather, isn't that difficult to negotiate." ...I see no negligace infact most likely if the trainer were in the jump seat the incident still would have occoured ,and maybe they both would be dead ...I had a student that was a good driver, but lacked common sense in some situations...like pulling onto the shoulder of I-40 and leaving truck 2.5 ft out into granny lane ...That is just stupid would you do that in a POV no ,so why a truck...lack of sense...the same student drove great ,but in those normal day to day situations requiring basic common sense he would fail ...now the Swift incident with a student nearly through his traning let to drive...well 4-6 wks is hardly enough time to get to know an individual ,and their level of common sense and who knows the student may have been a good cautious driver while the trainer watching him ,but with trainer in sleeper,and student not feeling watched maybe he got carless and caused his wreck...At werner they had students that did fine then they wrecked only to find out the student was narcoleptic...and there are tons of students who will not say they can't see at night ,and then either nearly wreck or do that's the students fault for hiding his medical dispoition...but we are speculating the cause of this wreck and it's debateable if a trainer in the jump seat would have helped ...But in your own words Orangetxuy Wrote-- "on a stetch of road that even in bad weather, isn't that difficult to negotiate."...so with 3+ wks otr job traning/ school I think it reasonable to say he shuld'nt have been over his head on such an easily negotiated road and I'm leaning towards him getting careless when he felt he had free reign with trainer asleep...and this is one of the risks of training a stranger,as you never really know what to expect...But it's all speculation without ...FACTS...
Old 11-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
Classy quote from a so called " Admin ".....:roll:

:zzz: :roll2:

Are you baiting ????

Baiting??? Not at all. Just calling 'em like I see 'em. You tried to make your case based on FALSE information. When called on it you failed to respond. Cdswan did respond and you wound up looking like a fool. I only pointed it out.:lol2:
Old 11-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Senior Board Member

I was a finishing trainer at my last OTR company. When I got a trainee they had been in OUR program already for 2 months. Now if I gopt one I was his last hope yet for the first week til I COULD TRUST THAT PERSON I WAS AWAKE IN THE JUMPSEAT WHEN THEY DROVE. However by week 3 if they made it that far since 80 did not with me I was in the bunk sleeping by then. Yes what happened here was a tradgety and that strecth of road is PISS POOR DESIGNED however by week 3 the trainee should have been able to get through there without an issue. There was something else that happened and has not been reported.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Senior Board Member

You know, that mentor/trainer must be a wreck as well. It is just an awful accident and my heart goes out to the family of the driver as well as the mentor/trainer. :tears:
Old 11-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Senior Board Member

I also wonder if OSHA will get involved it this? In other industries if there is a work related death they are all over it.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Senior Board Member

i'm not to bash swift or anything but when i was in orientation for being a newbie they said for the first three weeks the truck will only operate as solo truck (the truck stops when the mentor goes to sleep).. now for week four through six the truck operated as a team.. my self i wouldn't of like that set up.. like it would suck to ask mentor joe while he's in the bunk sleep "hey joe am i going to 90 degree back this or 45" like if he's sleeping he's no use to me.. i rather be running by myself..

When i trained with the pumpkin i never drove while my mentor was in the bunk sleep.. he might of been in the bunk on his laptop but when ever he felt something wrong or seen something i wasn't doing right he'll jump right back into the passenger seat...
Old 11-08-2008, 05:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
Baiting??? Not at all. Just calling 'em like I see 'em. You tried to make your case based on FALSE information. When called on it you failed to respond. Cdswan did respond and you wound up looking like a fool. I only pointed it out.:lol2:
Pot... kettle... Black...:lol2:
Old 11-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
Still waiting for your answer as to why the so called " trainer " was in the bunk......:roll:

Oh and one other thing..... Swift does not have a reputable training progam either..... Didja ferget that little thing last spring when the Feds raided their school back east ????:thumbsup:

Get your info straight before you post, The raid last year in Memphis was at a Swift school run by TDOT employees. The employees were the ones at fault, Swift was not at fault and was not being investigated.

Sure is funny how people like to post before they even know the truth.