Old 11-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
Good post, JD....

:thumbsdown:

"pretty much all the companies", huh? Funny how, the only two companies I have EVER worked for driving a truck strictly do NOT PERMIT RUNNING AS A TEAM. CRE is the only big company I know of that makes a policy of it...but I didn't know about most others, such as Swift. That's why I ASKED...and did not ASSume. :moon:

What are these 2 "BIG" companies ? ...and like I said there is policy and then there's how it is .
Old 11-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd112488 View Post
i find it amusing that when someone points out the faults in big jeeps logic he is quick with a school yard quip that trys to attack someone. it is lucky that orange never hit a deer, but there is good information in what he said, and anyone with a brain would see that. he simply stated some facts about safe driving techniques, and states that he uses those in his day day to driving. this time of year if you are not looking and anticipating a deer to come out or just be standing in front of you then i will say that you are not a safe driver. if you are a trainer that goes to the bunk and sleeps when your trainee is driving then i would say you are a piece of shit scumbucket that has not right even driving a truck. all that guy in the bunk was doing was making extra money for himself, he had zero interest in teaching that driver any of the things that orange mentioned regarding safe driving. and the only thing that is even close to being as bad about the guy loosing his life, is the fact that, that dumb basturd will probably be training again here shortly.

in regards to the swift training, any company that would allow a trainer to sleep while the 3 week trainee drive is an assbag company that should be removed from this industry one way or another. but all of these so called training companies do this all the time, so lets not just judge swift. there are other piece of shit companies that do this to make money just like all the others. they get team miles out of a solo truck and pay the trainee 300 bucks a week to run a team operation and teach themselves to drive.

so lets here it big jeep, insult the pic of angus or something to try to get a rise out of me. or better yet you better take your ball and go home...you are way outmatched here by people that know far far more than you. and i don't mean myself..guys like orange, tf, big d, etc.

This speech from a man who managed to get banned from this very board by arguing with the mods for days over NOTHING even I know when I'm out gunned ...And unlike you I can hold my own with anyone here ...Now that last paragraph really does sound like a feeble attempt at keister kissing those members mentioned...And it already sounds like I already got a rise out of you, and yes I'm glad you got rid of that Richard Simmons Avatar it was kind of suspect ...Oh Jed does the DOT require you to list...HELMET...as a restriction on your license ?

FedEx is how LTL spells Swift...wink

Last edited by BIG JEEP on 44's; 11-07-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobry4u View Post
Ah.. we have found the new "Carnac the Magnificent" :clap:...:bow:

and exactly what was the purpose of the raid and what was it's outcome?
Pearls of wisdom from a Swift noob.......:roll:
Old 11-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
Pearls of wisdom from a Swift noob.......:roll:
Thank you... you may kiss my hand now
Old 11-07-2008, 11:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
Still waiting for your answer as to why the so called " trainer " was in the bunk......:roll:

Oh and one other thing..... Swift does not have a reputable training progam either..... Didja ferget that little thing last spring when the Feds raided their school back east ????:thumbsup:
My original reply implied he was sleeping . . in the sleeper. But who really knows? Making a tuna sandwich, buffing the helmet, organizing the sock drawer . . who knows?

It doesn't matter. 3 weeks into the deal, any student should be able to hold the wheel on an interstate. By my third week, I had driven Cabbage, Snoqualmie, Grant's Pass and the Siskiyous, to name a few, on snow and black ice at night with my trainer sleeping with one eye open in the back. It was almost all heavy haul and it was excellent training. The new guy farked up and now he won't be down for breakfast. This kind of mistake is the type that can be made by any driver. I feel bad for him and for his survivors.

As for the other thing . . it was the cdl issuing authority, either the state or an independent contractor that is/was being investigated. It had no connection to Swift other than they rented space from Swift. Beyond that, Swift runs about 40 terminals and trains out of most of them. They put hundreds of good new drivers out on the road every month. Some wash out because they find it isn't for them, some wash out by paying the big price. The enormous majority work through their commitment. Many stay and many go on to greener pastures.

My final word on this is that, while the system isn't perfect because it can't be perfect for each and every newb who participates, it is still a very good system. I offer my own record as proof. Sync is at the end of two years and I'm pretty sure he'll back me up. dobry4u is a work in progress and I wish her all the best. Only time will tell and you've got to admire her attitude.

Last edited by cdswans; 11-08-2008 at 12:02 AM. Reason: mispelled dobrie4eva
Old 11-08-2008, 12:36 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member

I was a recruiter for Gordon Trucking from 2003 to 2004 so the information I have on them may be dated.

Gordon's policy was extremely clear. Student driving then the trainer was in the jump seat logging on duty not driving. Period!!

As far as other companies coveting Swift drivers because of their excellent training? When I was at Gordon the recruiting department's policy was to shy away from Swift trained drivers when possible, due to their poor training.

Like OrangeTX, I've driven a commercial vehicle 100's of times through that stretch and it's a curve that requires paying attention but not a high degree of difficulty. It is very sad that the trainee died but if anything positive comes from this it might be that Swift's and other companies training policy are revised.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Big D wrote:

Quote:
Oh and one other thing..... Swift does not have a reputable trainingprogam either..... Didja ferget that little thing last spring when theFeds raided their school back east ????:thumbsup:
Then Dobry4u wrote:

Quote:
Ah.. we have found the new "Carnac the Magnificent" :clap:...:bow:

and exactly what was the purpose of the raid and what was it's outcome?
Big D wrote:
Quote:
_________???
:rofl:

cdswans wrote:

Quote:
As for the other thing . . it was the cdl issuing authority, either thestate or an independent contractor that is/was being investigated. Ithad no connection to Swift other than they rented space from Swift.
She may be a Swift noob...... but she is a smart Swift noob.

Lesson learned: Don't try to ignore the facts when trying to prove your point. You may get called on it. Then trying to fling out an insult to redirect the focus only makes you look MORE foolish.

Rookie - 1

Super Trucker-0
Old 11-08-2008, 12:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoe View Post
I was a recruiter for Gordon Trucking from 2003 to 2004 so the information I have on them may be dated.

Gordon's policy was extremely clear. Student driving then the trainer was in the jump seat logging on duty not driving. Period!!

As far as other companies coveting Swift drivers because of their excellent training? When I was at Gordon the recruiting department's policy was to shy away from Swift trained drivers when possible, due to their poor training.

Like OrangeTX, I've driven a commercial vehicle 100's of times through that stretch and it's a curve that requires paying attention but not a high degree of difficulty. It is very sad that the trainee died but if anything positive comes from this it might be that Swift's and other companies training policy are revised.

What I find completely amazing is all this dialog appears to be based on assumption and supported by the mere fact someone was not in the passenger seat. How many other variables are out there that could have contributed to this poor soul's untimely death? The mere fact that Swift was on the trailer gives premise to the argument?
Old 11-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobry4u View Post
What I find completely amazing is all this dialog appears to be based on assumption and supported by the mere fact someone was not in the passenger seat. How many other variables are out there that could have contributed to this poor soul's untimely death? The mere fact that Swift was on the trailer gives premise to the argument?

don't bother trying to argue or debate with some of the *perfect* drivers on this board.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
What I find completely amazing is allthis dialog appears to be based on assumption and supported by the merefact someone was not in the passenger seat. How many other variablesare out there that could have contributed to this poor souls untimelydeath? The mere fact that Swift was on the trailer gives premise to theargument?
I have to agree that this in not just a company problem but an industry problem. It may have changed by now but I did my finishing training with USX. By week 3 or 4 you were EXPECTED to be able to go to a team-like status. If it had been CRST on the trailer then this thread would be bashing CRST.

You were right in a post above: A man lost his life. At his age he most likely had a family too. Let us not loose sight of the fact we lost one of our own . :tears: