User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
There are some carriers who don't treat their drivers very well. There are also drivers who take advantage of their carriers. I have been on both sides. Frankly, I don't know which is worse.

labor/company battles will go on for ever. with the economy in the shitter now, i give companies the nod.

btw do you have an aircard. Do you ever work?.lol
Old 08-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDarlin
I walked away from a six figure income because I didn't enjoy it anymore.
Strangely, I have found that TOO MANY truck drivers claim to have walked away from incomes at six figures or above.

I wonder why that is?

Some people get burned out from their professions. Others are financially comfortable and decide to drive a truck because that is something that they have always wanted to do. There are some who drive because they can't seem to do anything else which pays as well. For many others it isn't about the money. Many of us are well educated and do this because we enjoy it, not because we have to do it. There are many thousands of people who have changed careers after having another career in a different area. Most people whom I have met who come from other professions simply don't want to deal with all the stress of their former professions. This is a profession where you can earn an above average income and not have someone constantly looking over your shoulder. You don't have to worry about meeting a big payroll. All you need to do is make sure you pick up and deliver your load in a timely manner. You can earn a middle managers income without the added stress. It is also a profession where you can continue working after some companies would have forced you out due to your age. Older drivers are actually a much sought after commodity in this business. Older drivers know how to manage their time and get the job done. You see, some of us do this because we enjoy it.

I have never said that I left my IT career to go trucking. I retired, took 2 years off and then got bored. :shock: Trucking is the family business I grew up with and I can honestly say my father (who is now retired and living in Hawaii) hates that I drive. :twisted:

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
Quote:
There are some carriers who don't treat their drivers very well. There are also drivers who take advantage of their carriers. I have been on both sides. Frankly, I don't know which is worse.

labor/company battles will go on for ever. with the economy in the shitter now, i give companies the nod.

btw do you have an aircard. Do you ever work?.lol

I do have an air card. And yes, I do work, just not as hard as I did. I can post and look for loads at the same time. I have been trying to find someone who will pay me enough to move my truck. If they don't, then I will continue to post and do paperwork. 8)
Old 08-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
BTW I don't have any beef about OTR drivers. I have a beef about OTR companies treating drivers.
As trucking on the road is exempt from most labour laws
Amen.

I'm with my first trucking company OTR. This without a doubt the most screwed up relationship I have ever had with an employer. And I have worked for many family owned places. The disincentive to maintain company property is infuriating. On one hand, this is the company I work for and I want it to be the best including their equipment. On the other hand, why would I work for free? Not even laughably low pay to do it. NOTHING.

I knew to some extent what I was signing up for, now I know even more.
I'm thankful I have a plan to stay in and a plan to get out. So the choice is mine.

I feel real sorry for the guys who are used to getting payed to work,go to truck driving school looking for a better way in the world, fork over a couple thousand and get them selves in a position were they have to "do the job". Some of them won't even avg. minimum wage per hour.What kind of job is that?

When I started looking into the business this forum was the only one that was critical of the industry I found. And the otr "bashers" on here are the minority. But because of them I made sure that if I needed to I could leave the business with only a flesh wound.

I almost signed up for Steven's Transport. :shock:

LEASE, TRAIN, DRIVE and take it.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I walked away from a six figure income because I didn't enjoy it anymore.
Quote:
I have never said that I left my IT career to go trucking. I retired, took 2 years off and then got bored. :shock: Trucking is the family business I grew up with and I can honestly say my father (who is now retired and living in Hawaii) hates that I drive. :twisted:
It seemed as if that is what you were saying in the first post Reb.

As long as you're happy with what you are doing, that's the important thing, and, alas, all that matters. :wink:
Old 08-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by str.whl.hldr
When I started looking into the business this forum was the only one that was critical of the industry I found. And the otr "bashers" on here are the minority. But because of them I made sure that if I needed to I could leave the business with only a flesh wound.
Exactly str.whl.hldr, those that were here when I started did the same favors for me. I walked in to OTR cautiously, and with as little baggage as possible.

It's not hard to see why we are in the minority, is it? Our caveats regarding OTR driving are mostly aimed at the unscrupulous companies out there taking advantage of well intentioned persons. Somehow, this always ends up on a personal level where it does not belong. The fault for that is on both sides of the debate.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:05 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
Somehow, this always ends up on a personal level where it does not belong. The fault for that is on both sides of the debate.
It is interesting to see people defending the indefensible, though.But I know what you mean, I've made a complete jacka$$ of myself on here. And I have no doubt my anonymity is not so anonymous putting me in a bad spot.

But I probably would have started otr trucking even if I knew all the free work it demands anyways. I've always wanted to do it and I'm not joining the "churn" and quiting YET. Not till I can grind da gears in another rig. Besides, last time I drove a car, I'm man enough to admit,I was scared. Too damn low, too damn fast, and couldn't see crap. But if I would have started this gig with a family to support I think I would have already gone postal.

OTR still SUCKs and Life is too short.
And some days I think- let the mexicans have at it, I'm going back to the normal world of the living.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

Some people can handle "change" better than others. It was very difficult for me to adapt to constantly changing sleep schedules, different showers, toilets and basically 4-5 of the same places to eat year round.

I started driving a semi at the end 2006 at the ripe age of thirty something. I was OTR for 15 months it was definitely interesting for the first 6 months.

So many things we take for granted like taking a shower in our own house, being able to sleep in our own bed and cook and eat whenever you are ready. I quikly realized this during my first 3 months OTR.

I guess after spending thirty something years living one kind of way it was difficult for me to adapt to the constantly changing variables thrown at you as an OTR driver. I found a local home daily job after digging franticaly.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Senior Board Member

I carry my Stratocaster (guitar) with me at all times while on the road....

It somehow fits life on the road...been playing alot of blues as of late :lol:

Unless i am sucked through a wormhole into a better dimension

...trucking will be my way till the end
Old 08-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by str.whl.hldr

Amen.

I'm with my first trucking company OTR. This without a doubt the most screwed up relationship I have ever had with an employer. And I have worked for many family owned places. The disincentive to maintain company property is infuriating. On one hand, this is the company I work for and I want it to be the best including their equipment. On the other hand, why would I work for free? Not even laughably low pay to do it. NOTHING.

I knew to some extent what I was signing up for, now I know even more.
I'm thankful I have a plan to stay in and a plan to get out. So the choice is mine.

I feel real sorry for the guys who are used to getting payed to work,go to truck driving school looking for a better way in the world, fork over a couple thousand and get them selves in a position were they have to "do the job". Some of them won't even avg. minimum wage per hour.What kind of job is that?

I almost signed up for Steven's Transport. :shock:

LEASE, TRAIN, DRIVE and take it.
I talk about my job to share information. Thats why we're all here. I dont take joy in bashing OTR. If a guy likes it then thats great. But I do think people need to be told the truth before hand. And I think new drivers and also current drivers would like to know about other options.