User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008, 01:36 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I was the one who said the guy sat home just before Verizon came around. No jonp, it was not personal other than for his own safety. He wanted to work but because he was union, he wasn't supposed to due to the strike his union was on against Bell Atlantic. He tried working once before during a union strike and regretted it due to how his buddies from work treated him afterwards. Try reading my post carefully before speaking like a fool next time. Here is what I said:
Quote:
I had a buddy who's dad was in a union for Bell Atlantic. They went on strike one year and he decided the heck with the union after a month of striking. He went back to work because he was nearly out of money to feed his family. It took his work friends a long time to forgive him over crossing the line and some never did forgive him even though he did it for his families sake. The next time they went on strike, just before the Verizon take over, he sat at home for all but one day of it. He walked only one day just to make it so his buddies didn't think he was crossing again.
Double R, doesn't matter whether they were sold, taken over or merged, that's not the question here.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:09 AM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Double R, doesn't matter whether they were sold, taken over or merged, that's not the question here.
Your right it's not but my father worked for Bell Telephone for 34 years before he retired at 55(as a UNION member), so it would be nice if people would get their facts right before making fools out of themselves.

By the way, that is some support that your "friend's" dad showed towards his "Brothers and Sisters".

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 08-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
I was the one who said the guy sat home just before Verizon came around. No jonp, it was not personal other than for his own safety. He wanted to work but because he was union, he wasn't supposed to due to the strike his union was on against Bell Atlantic. He tried working once before during a union strike and regretted it due to how his buddies from work treated him afterwards. Try reading my post carefully before speaking like a fool next time. Here is what I said:
Quote:
I had a buddy who's dad was in a union for Bell Atlantic. They went on strike one year and he decided the heck with the union after a month of striking. He went back to work because he was nearly out of money to feed his family. It took his work friends a long time to forgive him over crossing the line and some never did forgive him even though he did it for his families sake. The next time they went on strike, just before the Verizon take over, he sat at home for all but one day of it. He walked only one day just to make it so his buddies didn't think he was crossing again.
No, my friend, I am not a fool. You may wish to re-read MY post before you comment further. My reference was not to the persons crossing the picket line but was to the lost jobs at Verizon. I own several hundred shares of Verizon and am well aware of the goings on at that company.
I should have made it clear that my comments were towards union pickets in general. If the person in question made a decision to join a union and his union was affiliated with the strikers in some way then he should honor his membership and not cross the line. If he chooses to do so he does so at his own peril and I would suggest that he resign from the union immediatly. If he did not belong to the union then my original comment stands: no union is going to tell me, as a non-union worker, when I can and cannot work. Short of threatened violence I would honor my commitment to my employer and do the job for which I am getting paid. One of the reasons that I did not take a job at UPS was because it was union. I objected to having to pay the union $600 to get hired then get forced into paying dues whether I wanted to or not. I just thanked the man for his time, shook his hand and left. If you choose to pay this fee for a job then by all means go right ahead and do so.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R
Quote:
One of the first posts on this subject mentioned that a worker sat home before the company was sold to Verizon.Gee...think that might have had something to do with it?
Nope. Verizon is still union.

That poster might want to double-check thier facts:

Quote:
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE: VZ) is an American broadband and telecommunications company and a component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average. It was formed in 2000 when Bell Atlantic, one of the Regional Bell Operating Companies, merged with GTE. Prior to its transformation into Verizon, Bell Atlantic had merged with another Regional Bell Operating Company, NYNEX, in 1997.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon
I did not comment on whether or not Verizon was a union shop. What I was saying is that the company may have merged with verizon in part due to high labor costs driving them into unprofitability.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Quote:
Hi Ford95, read my comment below. If you are union then I think that you should honor the line and not cross it. I do commend you for that. If people join a group then they should either be loyal to that group or have some extenuating circumstances that are dire before breaking that commitment. Having to feed my family is one of them. My first and foremost commitment is to my family and thier safety and well-being.
In crossing the line, I think that the person should seriously think about resigning from the union. I can see the hard feelings from the other union members over someone doing that. They think that they are doing the sacrifice and hard work while someone else is reaping the benefits. However, the union should also have enough compassion to look at why that person is doing so and cut them a little slack.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp
One of the reasons jobs are going overseas is because of the unions and the wage/benefit demands that make the cost of doing business here prohibitive.
True thats one of the reasons. Another is the company owners are greedy and have to find a way to make even more money. Dont forget those high wages support our own economy. We are a nation of consumers. without high wages there are no consumers.

Quote:
If I'm so unhappy with my job that I would strike then I would quit and find a new job.
Also true, to a degree. Strikes are usually about compensation, not happy or unhappy. You sound young and idealistic, not a bad thing, just saying you havent been on the short end of the stick yet. I'm guessing you never spent 20 years at the same job.

Quote:
Personaly If I owned a company and someone came in to "organize" the place I would call a big company meeting with all of the workers and make it plain: "I put my money at stake in this business, Its my good name and credit at stake here and I'm taking all of the financial risk. Before I let someone come in and tell me how to run my own business I will shut this place down, move it overseas and you can find a job elsewhere." Now feel free to vote anyway that you choose.
I agree 100%. But I dont own the business. I'm a worker. I worry me not the owners. I guarantee you they dont worry about me. Nothing personal, just business. They would pay me peanuts if I let them. They wouldnt care if I drive a crappy car and live in a dump. They figure if I'm still here then I must like it. They will never pay one dime more than what you ask for. They like big boats and expensive vacations and so do the share holders they are trying to please. Sooner or later you will be on one side or the other.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Senior Board Member

I'd cross a picket line. Their dilemma doesn't change the fact that I still have a job to do. The union's going to look out for their best interests, and theirs alone, and I have to do the same.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:55 AM
Senior Board Member

It's not too hard to understand a majority of drivers would cross a picket line.
Being that a group of union workers are standing up for theirs, their families and workers up and coming to have a better way of living.
This means a sacrifice to those on the line (no work, no paycheck!)
Lost wages are lost wages and you won't get them back!
If those and more drivers would stand together to better the world of trucking, drivers would not have to put up with the crap that they do.
Hauling cheap freight, running illegal amd not being compensated for work performed are just a few!
But drivers can't or won't unite so things never change, just more of the same! Rhymes with kitchen and starts with a "b"
Management or union? I don't place my trust a 100% percent with either of them, but I do know the union would favor me more then management, so yes, I'm looking out for me and my family!
It is a free country so do what you gotta do!
Old 08-05-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird
It's not too hard to understand a majority of drivers would cross a picket line.
Being that a group of union workers are standing up for theirs, their families and workers up and coming to have a better way of living.
This means a sacrifice to those on the line (no work, no paycheck!)
Lost wages are lost wages and you won't get them back!
If those and more drivers would stand together to better the world of trucking, drivers would not have to put up with the crap that they do.
Hauling cheap freight, running illegal amd not being compensated for work performed are just a few!
But drivers can't or won't unite so things never change, just more of the same! Rhymes with kitchen and starts with a "b"
Management or union? I don't place my trust a 100% percent with either of them, but I do know the union would favor me more then management, so yes, I'm looking out for me and my family!
It is a free country so do what you gotta do!
I don't trust unions. Many are run by crooks.

Workers should be protected by law, not by unions.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classB
I don't trust unions. Many are run by crooks.

Workers should be protected by law, not by unions.
I don't trust cars, many are driven by drunks. :roll: