LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbpard
Amen MidnightLighting!

If your a union employee, thats all fine and peachy (usually), but again, a union is why it cost you $40-$50k to buy a new pickup truck, because the unions are forcing companies to pay some low skilled worker $40/hr to push a button.

They can call me a scab, hemerhoid, or anything else they want, but sorry, I gotta go to work! I work to make money. Not friends.
I've seen a lot of demonizing of auto workers at this site and always wondered what they really make. Since that is a union site, they are likely lying, though.

In 2006 a typical UAW-represented assembler at GM earned $27.81 per hour of straight-time labor. A typical UAW-represented skilled-trades worker at GM earned $32.32 per hour of straight-time labor. Between 2003 and 2006, the wages of a typical UAW assembler have grown at about the same rate as wages in the private sector as a whole – roughly 9 percent. Part of that growth is due to cost-of-living adjustments that have helped prevent inflation from eroding the purchasing power of workers’ wages.

So a 9% raise twice would be $33.04 and $38.39 for this year. Less than $1200 a week gross. I'm not sure what cost of living is like where the plants are located. If houses are less than $175k, they could probably afford it.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Default Re: Crossing a picket line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymist
What would you do if you're faced with a situation where the company that you work for "strongly urges" you to cross a picket line to deliver a load, but you feel uncomfortable doing so ( for whatever reason ) ? What options does one have in such a scenario ?
Do your job. Don't get involved with another worksites politics.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Senior Board Member

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-31-2008, 01:49 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Are you guys getting cost-of-living adjustments with your penny raises? Oh that's right. You can just run more miles. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
If your a union employee, thats all fine and peachy (usually), but again, a union is why it cost you $40-$50k to buy a new pickup truck, because the unions are forcing companies to pay some low skilled worker $40/hr to push a button.
Would it matter if the auto workers made $20.00/hr? $15.00/hr? $10.00/hr? No because the auto companies can pay a Mexican worker a few pesos per day plus one meal and no overtime. In addition, the maquiladoras (cross border assembly plants) can dump pollutants into the air and water to their heart's content.

What's happening now is that wages are going nowhere while inflation is rising. So people are cutting back on spending because they have less disposable income. Less spending = less loads to pull...remember you have a job because someone spent some money somewhere. About 65% of our economy is consumer spending.

Quote:
Well i have a family to support and i will no union or line tell me when i can and can not work sorry guys.
Go ahead and cross that picket line and watch what happens when you break the union. First thing that usually goes is overtime. Next you start paying high premiums for worthless health insurance. Then maybe a week of vacation gets lopped off. Then seniority starts getting messed with...the newer guys making less money get more work while the top-rate men get starved out. Then they start hiring part-timers. Then the "accessories" start getting chipped away like delay pay, hourly pay, etc.

And then you're back to square one...nothing but a c00lie. Oh, but you're feeding your family...on rice and beans.

Remember, if employers paid their workers well and treated them fairly then there would be no need for unions. Unions are often a necessary evil and in a perfect world they wouldn't exist. But this isn't a perfect world and never will be.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James
...Remember, if employers paid their workers well and treated them fairly then there would be no need for unions. Unions are often a necessary evil and in a perfect world they wouldn't exist. But this isn't a perfect world and never will be.
Very true.

Although I'm non-union, I'm very grateful to the union guys out there. If it weren't for them, my wages would be a lot lower. 8)
Old 07-31-2008, 01:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbpard
Amen MidnightLighting!

They can call me a scab, hemerhoid, or anything else they want, but sorry, I gotta go to work! I work to make money. Not friends.
I've seen a lot of demonizing of auto workers at this site and always wondered what they really make. Since that is a union site, they are likely lying, though.

In 2006 a typical UAW-represented assembler at GM earned $27.81 per hour of straight-time labor. A typical UAW-represented skilled-trades worker at GM earned $32.32 per hour of straight-time labor. Between 2003 and 2006, the wages of a typical UAW assembler have grown at about the same rate as wages in the private sector as a whole – roughly 9 percent. Part of that growth is due to cost-of-living adjustments that have helped prevent inflation from eroding the purchasing power of workers’ wages.

So a 9% raise twice would be $33.04 and $38.39 for this year. Less than $1200 a week gross. I'm not sure what cost of living is like where the plants are located. If houses are less than $175k, they could probably afford it.
From the same article:
Quote:
Why is the figure cited as hourly labor costs by the companies so much higher than the wage rates?

In addition to regular hourly pay, the labor cost figures cited by the companies include other expenses associated with having a person on payroll. This includes overtime, shift premiums and the costs of negotiated benefits such as holidays, vacations, health care, pensions and education and training. It also includes statutory costs, which employers are required to pay by law, such as federal contributions for Social Security and Medicare, and state payments to workers’ compensation and unemployment insurance funds. The highest figures sometimes cited also include the benefit costs of retirees who are no longer on the payroll.
kc0iv
Old 07-31-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Are you guys getting cost-of-living adjustments with your penny raises? Oh that's right. You can just run more miles. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
Would it matter if the auto workers made $20.00/hr? $15.00/hr? $10.00/hr? No because the auto companies can pay a Mexican worker a few pesos per day plus one meal and no overtime. In addition, the maquiladoras (cross border assembly plants) can dump pollutants into the air and water to their heart's content.

What's happening now is that wages are going nowhere while inflation is rising. So people are cutting back on spending because they have less disposable income. Less spending = less loads to pull...remember you have a job because someone spent some money somewhere. About 65% of our economy is consumer spending.

Quote:
Well i have a family to support and i will no union or line tell me when i can and can not work sorry guys.
Go ahead and cross that picket line and watch what happens when you break the union. First thing that usually goes is overtime. Next you start paying high premiums for worthless health insurance. Then maybe a week of vacation gets lopped off. Then seniority starts getting messed with...the newer guys making less money get more work while the top-rate men get starved out. Then they start hiring part-timers. Then the "accessories" start getting chipped away like delay pay, hourly pay, etc.

And then you're back to square one...nothing but a c00lie. Oh, but you're feeding your family...on rice and beans.

Remember, if employers paid their workers well and treated them fairly then there would be no need for unions. Unions are often a necessary evil and in a perfect world they wouldn't exist. But this isn't a perfect world and never will be.
+ 1

That's the best I've heard it said so far.

I am not the biggest fan of unions, I am in one and do not like alot of things they do or their policies. But they are there because if they weren't, they would pay us like the "coolie carriers" pay their help.

I am not high maintenance, but at the same time I am NOT going to work for insultingly low pay. If others want to work for nothing or for free, fine.

It's been my experience that those who flat-out poo-poo the unions every chance they get have never been in one. All they know is what some other schmuck had said about how unions suck. Plus, these same people evidently enjoying working for low wages, and their jealousy at what union workers make is glaringly obvious.

Unions have broken some companies, and I understand the company signs my paycheck, not the union...but at the same time if it weren't for collective bargaining some of these same companies would have folded anyway, due to mismanagement, not union pressure.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:

Kinda like what's taken place in trucking over the last 30 years. :shock:
Weren't all truckers teamsters years ago? I mean all, including OTR guys? It was considered a good job 30-40 years ago.

To HWD, Teamster here too and I couldn't agree with you more. :wink:
Old 08-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Board Regular

I'll not cross a union line. Ever. I'm not in a union and have never been in one but I respect people who are willing to fight for what's right.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymist
What makes it tricky is the part that I forgot to mention in the original post...I belong to a union myself !!
I'm a former Teamster and I cannot stand the Union. But, if you joined. You DO NOT cross the picket line.