User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Logistics and Transportation degree

So my new company offers full tuition reimbersement, and I'm seriously considering getting a degree in something just for the hell of it since they're paying.

What I'm wondering is, does anyone know of any colleges/universities that offer a Logistics/transportation degree that you can take online?

I've checked all the local schools and can't find anything around me that offers a degree in that kind of field.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Adapt and overcome.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:58 PM

I don't think that type of degree exist
Old 05-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Yeah, I have heard of a Logistics and Transportation Degree. I would assume that could get you in the door of an LTL company as a Dock Supervisor, Dispatch and Terminal Management ect....

Use the Google. Plenty of options.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:17 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Logistics and Transportation Degree

Try unf.edu, don't know if it's offered online. BOL
Old 05-13-2008, 12:44 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The University of Tennessee used to have the top Logistics programs in the country. Either Penn State or the University of Pennsylvania had the number 2 program at the time. Both may still be in the top 2 nationally. I doubt that either would be offered online. Still, you may want to check with them. If you want to do online classes many universities offer classes that cover the first couple of years online. The University of Phoenix is one of the largest online universities and offers several degree programs.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
The University of Tennessee used to have the top Logistics programs in the country. Either Penn State or the University of Pennsylvania had the number 2 program at the time. Both may still be in the top 2 nationally. I doubt that either would be offered online. Still, you may want to check with them. If you want to do online classes many universities offer classes that cover the first couple of years online. The University of Phoenix is one of the largest online universities and offers several degree programs.
I've thought about Phoenix and all those others, but I would just think that everybody looks at those as "clown colleges", and basically be worth no more than a piece of paper. Any thoughts?

Adapt and overcome.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:51 AM
Senior Board Member

I think more than likely after high school I'm gonna go to the local community college and pursue an associates in business management since that is the closest thing to logistics and transportation that offer in my opinion. I think with the management they include accounting, and all that stuff. Since next year is my last year of high school the courses I'm taking are business technology, accounting, english-(required) and co-op. So I would of been in accounting 3 and 4 instead of 1 and 2 but I couldn't get into the accounting last year cause of schedule conflicts or the class was full or something. But I feel I'm well prepared and I'm gonna do the business management degree online so I can still drive trucks.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:01 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbpard
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I've thought about Phoenix and all those others, but I would just think that everybody looks at those as "clown colleges", and basically be worth no more than a piece of paper. Any thoughts?

As I recall, the University of Phoenix is accredited and well received. There are others who are also accredited. Before I spent my money and time in any online program I would check their accreditation. Some are not accredited. You could always take classes through any university that offers them. With most of the online programs you need to complete your course requirements within a specific time frame. You communicate with your instructor and members of your class groups online. Taking online classes can be challenging. I have met a few drivers who were taking them as they traveled. I don't recall where you live, but there are state universities and colleges in most states who offer correspondence or online classes. If you can't get all of them, at least you can get part of them without having to attend classes. Most colleges require you to do at least your last 30 hours of study at their school before awarding a degree. There are also some colleges who offer programs specifically for working adults that will allow you to take classes while you continue to work.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member

GMAN, the college I'm going to have a program for working adults BUT the catch is you have to be 19 and have atleast a year of working experience. I would do it but it would take 3 years to do and as much as I'd love to take a year off after high school it wouldn't be in my best interest cause my brain would go to mush and I hear that it would be hard to go back and you'll keep putting it off which I can see to be true. Plus I rather get it done and over with and like I said I'm going for an associates. It'll be good enough for what I plan on doing! If I need to go back for a bachelors I will.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:19 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am glad that you plan on going to college, Double L. You can do a lot with an associates degree. But I don't think your brain will go to mush after a year off from school. There are many who go back after several decades.