User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 04:29 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: Logistics and Transportation degree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbpard
So my new company offers full tuition reimbersement, and I'm seriously considering getting a degree in something just for the hell of it since they're paying.

What I'm wondering is, does anyone know of any colleges/universities that offer a Logistics/transportation degree that you can take online?

I've checked all the local schools and can't find anything around me that offers a degree in that kind of field.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
There aren't many colleges offering logistics/transportation degrees anymore. Reason being is that l/t is a more narrow specialization within a broader field called "supply chain managment". I'm fairly certain the University of Phoenix offers this degree as it's been all the rage these past 10-15 years or so.

If a career as an ops manager, dispatch, safety, etc for a transportation company or 3PL is what floats your boat, then a run-of-the mill business degree will get your foot in the door. No need to get fancy.

BTW, I have a 4-year degree in supply chain management and I'm drivin' truck. Still have friends at RPS (FedEx Ground) who are pulling down $75,000 - $120,000 as terminal managers. That's no chicken feed! In trucking, the higher ups get the gold mine and we drivers get the shaft...ain' that the truth!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
A college degree offers an individual options. Today you may want to drive a truck. Ten or twenty years from now, you may want to do something else. With only a high school diploma, your options may be limited. If you have a college degree you will have many more avenues to explore. Statistically, those with a college degree will earn considerably more than those with only a high school education.

I can't agree more GMAN.

To those that say you don't need a education to drive a truck I'd agree. But, what happens if you can't drive anymore? What form of employment will you be able to find? Will it pay anywhere near your present income?

I thought I would be able to drive for another 5-7 years. But, I couldn't drive anymore due to a stroke. And let's face it the lifestyle of truck driving can do damage on your health.

Now what would have happen if I'd been say 30? How would I been able to make a living? With a college degree I'd be able to find another form of employment that paid around what I made driving a truck. Without that degree my options would have been limited.

In my case I was able to retire.

kc0iv
Old 05-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Silly Goose
Senior Board Member

Jim-

If your company is offer to pay for school, I would jump at the opportunity. It doesn't matter what you take as long as they pay. College tuition is through the roof today.

A friend of mine is getting her masters online now. She told me that it takes a lot of discipline and time management. You have to make the time, a few hours a day, to read the assignment and then do them. I think the prof. also assigns discussion time and the class has to get online to "discuss" projects or topics.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:30 PM

Jimbpard, try American Public University. They offer a degree in Transportation, are accredited and are totally online.

Navy Corpsman: Long haired, loud mouthed Sailor who would crash through the gates of Hell to get to a wounded Marine!

Born to kill, trained to heal!
Old 05-13-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
High School Diploma dont mean sh*t in trucking. My oldman has a 8th grade edu. And has been a O/O for over 25years. And had made a very good life for him self. There is a trucking company that the owner dont have a high school edu. and runs around 20 trucks. Im not supporting dropping out in anyway. I did and it was the dumbest thing i did. But i did go back and get my GED. But when it comes to trucking you dont need it.
You may not need a high school diploma to drive a truck, but you do to get hired by many companies.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Rookie

Jimbpard:

If your local community college offers online courses, you should investigate the Associates (two-year programs) which will allow you to transfer to a four-year program when you are done.

Many universities have specific matriculation agreements with community colleges and can tell you which courses at the CC or online can be substituted for their courses. These will be the basic English and Math courses which may only equate to a “general studies” AS degree after two years; but, if you plan to roll it over into a four-year degree, it doesn’t really matter.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Senior Board Member

I went to CC before I transferred. They follow the "IAI" (Illinois articulation initiative) which guaranteed all credits transfer and have an equivalency at any state school. My Buddy went there for a semester and got fed up when it would take 2 years. he went to Westwood College and paid 28,000 bucks for a 2 year degree in 13 months or so.

I went off to college and had a blast. he came to visit and got crazy dunk, eating cheap pizza, and flirting with girls. He wanted to come down. When his transcript came through at the college they pretty much laughed at him because nothing transferred. hell, they let him write a 750 word essay to make up for a class he never took just to push him through graduation. His essay wasn't even 500. be careful of schools that advertise on TV.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Senior Board Member

As of right now I'm looking more into Penn Foster. They are a distant learning school where you learn it all at home. They send you the material, you study it and do the exams at YOUR OWN PACE. I plan doing the small business and the diesel mechanics. They say it'll take 9 months to complete the diesel and 6 months to complete the small business. Also with the diesel they prepare you for the ASE test as well. The small business and diesel mechanics are career diplomas through them. They are an accredited school by the DOE and one of the largest distant learning schools in the country! I was skeptical at first of it but it's interesting cause the material is for that degree. You don't need to do general studies and waste all that time! The cost is like $600 for each program and they have all kinds of degrees and stuff you can get. To me this seems a less stressful route for me and here are the links to each degree: http://www.pennfoster.edu/smallbus/index.html and http://www.pennfoster.edu/diesel/index.html
Old 05-16-2008, 06:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Double L, general studies are not a waste of time. Its kinda like going to trucking school and not learning or practicing blindsiding, sliding tandems, AND parallel parking. But hey, you got the CDL!

I don't think there is a degree that leaves out general studies classes. I know "certificates" like diesel tech don't require general studies.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L
As of right now I'm looking more into Penn Foster. They are a distant learning school where you learn it all at home. They send you the material, you study it and do the exams at YOUR OWN PACE. I plan doing the small business and the diesel mechanics. They say it'll take 9 months to complete the diesel and 6 months to complete the small business. Also with the diesel they prepare you for the ASE test as well. The small business and diesel mechanics are career diplomas through them. They are an accredited school by the DOE and one of the largest distant learning schools in the country! I was skeptical at first of it but it's interesting cause the material is for that degree. You don't need to do general studies and waste all that time! The cost is like $600 for each program and they have all kinds of degrees and stuff you can get. To me this seems a less stressful route for me and here are the links to each degree: http://www.pennfoster.edu/smallbus/index.html and http://www.pennfoster.edu/diesel/index.html
Double L,

If all you are wanting is basic knowledge on small business you can go to the library and read some books and save your money. There is no way a school can teach you everything you need to know in six months. The would be hard pressed to do it in 2 years.

Now about diesel mechanics. While you can learn the basic out of book you will need to have hands-on-training to get any type of employment. Again, if all you want is how diesel works you can get that information from the library.

As BanditsCousin said "general studies are not a waste of time."

kc0iv