User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 01:31 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L
I think more than likely after high school I'm gonna go to the local community college and pursue an associates in business management since that is the closest thing to logistics and transportation that offer in my opinion. I think with the management they include accounting, and all that stuff. Since next year is my last year of high school the courses I'm taking are business technology, accounting, english-(required) and co-op. So I would of been in accounting 3 and 4 instead of 1 and 2 but I couldn't get into the accounting last year cause of schedule conflicts or the class was full or something. But I feel I'm well prepared and I'm gonna do the business management degree online so I can still drive trucks.
Be careful when you look at community colleges. Many of the classes they offer do not transfer to a four year college or university. My daughter lost several of her credits when she transferred.

kc0iv
Old 05-13-2008, 01:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Like I said before in a pm to you GMAN, a high school diploma in today's times is NOTHING!!!!! You will need some type of college and or vocational schooling. I already know I'll be successful, one thing I learned in life is good things come to those who wait and also follow your gut instinct! I tell people who drop out or are going to drop out that they will regret it cause I've seen people who drop out and they are stuck working in fast food and plus alot of places won't hire if they see you have a GED instead of a high school diploma. I knew I always wanted to drive a truck but I didn't get the desire or drive to want to own and operate my own trucking company until I started high school. One of the reasons why I rather do that is the FREEDOM and plus I won't have to put with BS except my own. :lol: But seriously though hopefully I get this job at midwest driving even if it's local cause I can gain experience driving and still go to school. Not sure if the experience even if it's local will help me out insurance wise but atleast I'd have knowledge of what it takes to drive a truck and do it on someone else's dime!
Old 05-13-2008, 01:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Like I said before in a pm to you GMAN, a high school diploma in today's times is NOTHING!!!!!
Not totally true...You have to have a high school diploma to work for Ryder :lol:

Edited: Brandon, I agree that it dont matter a damn 99% of the time if you have a diploma, but sometimes that 1% chance can screw ya, especially when it's a damn good deal.
My dad recently applied there to get on the account I'm on, and they turned him down soon as he turn in the application and the manager looked over it and saw only a 10th grade education. Company policy

Adapt and overcome.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:10 AM
Senior Board Member

And work for peanuts. I don't think so! Damn I'm eating peanuts as we speak so I guess I'm eating y'alls paycheck one peanut at a time! :lol: Humor is a good stress reliever. That is why I use it ALOT! 8)
Old 05-13-2008, 02:32 AM
Senior Board Member

High School Diploma dont mean sh*t in trucking. My oldman has a 8th grade edu. And has been a O/O for over 25years. And had made a very good life for him self. There is a trucking company that the owner dont have a high school edu. and runs around 20 trucks. Im not supporting dropping out in anyway. I did and it was the dumbest thing i did. But i did go back and get my GED. But when it comes to trucking you dont need it.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 05-13-2008, 02:34 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

A college degree offers an individual options. Today you may want to drive a truck. Ten or twenty years from now, you may want to do something else. With only a high school diploma, your options may be limited. If you have a college degree you will have many more avenues to explore. Statistically, those with a college degree will earn considerably more than those with only a high school education.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Yeah your right Mackman and you sure don't need a high school diploma or GED to say "Your total is X amount please pull forward" :lol: Hell don't get me wrong at times I just wish I could graduate and not go to college and just drive a truck but it's not an option so in a way I'm "forced" to go to college to have something to fall back on.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Peanuts...Hardly.
4 day week, 3 days off, home everynight, dedicated run, $1400+/week, good benies.
Let me know when your hiring...If you can match or beat that...

Just FYI, I've been a silent supporter of you in some of your other posts when you've been attacked, but I quickly lose respect for someone who critisizes and puts down others when they have yet to even make step 1, and is only living on pipe dreams.
If I took your post the wrong way, then I appoligize in advance. I have been known to do that, but I take pride in the way I provide for myself and my family, and have a hard time being told I make "peanuts" by a rookie....Errr...Wannabe.

Good luck.

Adapt and overcome.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbpard
Peanuts...Hardly.
4 day week, 3 days off, home everynight, dedicated run, $1400+/week, good benies.
Let me know when your hiring...If you can match or beat that...

Just FYI, I've been a silent supporter of you in some of your other posts when you've been attacked, but I quickly lose respect for someone who critisizes and puts down others when they have yet to even make step 1, and is only living on pipe dreams.
If I took your post the wrong way, then I appoligize in advance. I have been known to do that, but I take pride in the way I provide for myself and my family, and have a hard time being told I make "peanuts" by a rookie....Errr...Wannabe.

Good luck.
I kinda agree with you Jim. Double L i wouldnt jump the gun so much. Just cuz a person doesnt have that pice of paper doesnt make them dumb at all. You keep saying them fast food commets that is what you are applying.

I know alot of oldtimers that know there sh*t and never even made it to high school. When you get out into the real world thats when the real learning begins. Not in some classroom.

BTW jim that is a kickass job.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 05-13-2008, 03:07 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="kc0iv"]
Quote:
[b]

Be careful when you look at community colleges. Many of the classes they offer do not transfer to a four year college or university. My daughter lost several of her credits when she transferred.

kc0iv
Actually this college our high school deals with. We get dual credit through this community college and throughout my high school years I took dual credit classes so I can get my business degree in shorter time than someone who didn't do dual credit and yeah they will transfer to the local university. This community college is the best in the area I think anyway!

P.S. Sorry to those that I offended, hell I can tell ya right now my cousin dropped out of school and now he has a job as a laborer for a company and he is making ALOT of money and gets to travel all over the US. So I was in the wrong for making those comments and I apologize, I was trying to make it "comical" and I stepped over the line. But thanks for pointing that out to me and I respect that. But yeah I'll agree with you that there alot of people who may not have the paper that know what they are talking about and I've been lucky to meet a few of them and know some too. So once again I apologize for the comments made and sorry to the ones I offended!