User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredmb
It's true that most people won't notice any difference at the end of the week, my question is are the computers in the office being cut back, is the spin on the wrench in the shop being cut back,,,,, and so on, why is it up to Drivers to take the cut back by them selves, they did not effect the cost increases in the price of fuel.
If one only had a clue about the workings of a major company, they would not be so prone to gripe about the piddly things! I find that many, not all, could not even manage a small 1, 2, or 10 person business, but yet they think they know what is going on in one with hundreds or even thousands of employees!

Those peoples jobs in the offices and shops depend solely on the production of the drivers that they are responsible for keeping on the road! So what the heck makes one think, that they would penalize the lifelines! Those people have to pay for the same high price fuels, the ever increasing price of food, etc, etc as we behind the wheel of these trucks! They are just as concerned about the number on the paycheck as we are, and in turn, they have to also make sacrifices to save the bottom line!

Quit the d*%& whining, tighten the belt, and do the job you hired on to do, based on the companies policies that your agreed to abide by! If ya don't like it, go to work for McDonalds!

Oh, and while your at it, clean up the foul mouth, trash talking crap on the CB! Crud, now I done got aggrevated about this whining! Grow the H*&^ up people!
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 05-03-2008, 01:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
...But slowing some trucks down scews the rest of us up. Slow truck have a harder time to climb a hill when top out at 55 mpm. And the rest of us make more lane changes to get around these turtles, the time they crest the hill they are doing 35 mph and are causing a back up of a pissed 4 wheelers and truckers make an unsafe environment.

On 65 and 70 mph highways trucks should be able achieve this speed if not find find and alt route.
As a company driver, I depend on the decisions in Corporate to keep my job going strong in a slow economy (didn't say I always agree with those decisions!)

A wise transportation business owner, if he/she has any brains at all, will move heaven and earth to keep the company profitable and keep employees relatively content and secure at their jobs (Granted some business owners could care less about their employees).

As fuel prices increased (and kept increasing), it was only a matter of time before transportation companies started turning down the speed IN ORDER TO REMAIN PROFITABLE for the longer term. After all, you're in business to make money -- not to lose money (As a business owner, you're taking all the risks a business involves. Therefore, you should be well compensated for it).

Although I am no longer OTR, my rig maxes out at a whopping 60 mph -- and a fair amount of my time is spent on the interstate (speed limit = 65 mph). I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I'm paid by the hour -- so CPM doesn't apply to me. In addition, I find going a little slower causes me to enjoy my job a little bit more (going 10-15 miles over the speed limit does bring stress into one's life). On the other hand, every now and then, I am a wee bit concerned about vehicles whizzing past me at 70-80 MPH. And God help the trucker who is passing me in a 61 mph governed truck with a PO'd convoy behind him!

So, although I'm not thoroughly thrilled about poking along and delaying traffic every now and then, I'm not complaining either...until I attempt passing another 60 mph truck! :x (OK, let the flaming begin....) :wink:
Old 05-03-2008, 01:59 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
As a company driver, I depend on the decisions in Corporate to keep my job going strong in a slow economy (didn't say I always agree with those decisions!)

A wise transportation business owner, if he/she has any brains at all, will move heaven and earth to keep the company profitable and keep employees relatively content and secure at their jobs (Granted some business owners could care less about their employees).

As fuel prices increased (and kept increasing), it was only a matter of time before transportation companies started turning down the speed IN ORDER TO REMAIN PROFITABLE for the longer term. After all, you're in business to make money -- not to lose money (As a business owner, you're taking all the risks a business involves. Therefore, you should be well compensated for it).

Although I am no longer OTR, my rig maxes out at a whopping 60 mph -- and a fair amount of my time is spent on the interstate (speed limit = 65 mph). I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I'm paid by the hour -- so CPM doesn't apply to me. In addition, I find going a little slower causes me to enjoy my job a little bit more (going 10-15 miles over the speed limit does bring stress into one's life). On the other hand, every now and then, I am a wee bit concerned about vehicles whizzing past me at 70-80 MPH. And God help the trucker who is passing me in a 61 mph governed truck with a PO'd convoy behind him!

So, although I'm not thoroughly thrilled about poking along and delaying traffic every now and then, I'm not complaining either...until I attempt passing another 60 mph truck! :x (OK, let the flaming begin....) :wink
Naw, you have it all wrong!

It's The Man keeping you down, because all The Man does is screw us working stiffs to make a buck!
:lol:
ain't that right, evinrude?
Old 05-03-2008, 03:10 AM
Board Regular

The best solution is to stop driving for these over the road outfits.

I work for Conway and work both in the city and linehaul. By the hour it's $21 and by the mile it is .50. I do a line run that pays 430 miles and I run 431, the extra mile is driving around the yard.

Now when I work in the city, I am hot, sweaty and dirty at the end of the day, but I get to go home and cleanup in my shower and eat a home cooked meal.

Stop complaining about how bad the OTR companies are and get a better job. Now I know that some of you are OTR thru and thru and that is fine, just don't complain about how bad you have it because you know the drill and the only way that you are going to change anything is by changing employers.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:19 AM

I'm very happy to help myself keep this job if it means going slower/saving fuel and trying my best to keep the idle time down. It's still hard to believe that in the company yard that I'm spending the night, there are several trucks idling and the outside temp is 70 here in No. Ca at 9pm. There's no humidity and very comfortable temps and still drivers are wasting the company's money. An article I read said that a 1 cent per gallon increase costs the trucking industry $360m more a year overall. My thought on this is why should they feel it's ok to idle? I guess the next option for the company is to start laying off drivers that can't or won't reform to conserve fuel and start hiring drivers that will.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:15 AM
Board Regular
Default > Imagine my surprise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimba
My high-flying 64 mph truck is in today for a B service and will come out a 62. That's alright with me as I've never been a speed demon. What does bother me is that I inherited the truck 10 weeks ago at 6.7 mpg and have since brought it up to 7.4. Instead of a bonus, I get a paycut?

I'm bettin' this speed reduction won't make much of a difference but we'll see.
My freshly serviced truck wasn't cut! You 62 mph folks can eat my dust!
Old 05-03-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
My high-flying 64 mph truck is in today for a B service and will come out a 62. That's alright with me as I've never been a speed demon. What does bother me is that I inherited the truck 10 weeks ago at 6.7 mpg and have since brought it up to 7.4. Instead of a bonus, I get a paycut?

You are only getting a "paycut" on paper. A drop of 2 mph is a whopping 22 miles over the course of an 11 hour tour of duty. And even that assumes you are driving 62 mph from the second you start driving until the second you stop driving, and you are driving the full 11 hours every day. Since we both know neither of those things are true, your "paycut" is negligible at best.
Ya and 44 miles at 72 and 66 miles at 82,,, in one day, day after day it adds up FAST!

I told my company when they droped my truck to 62 to screw your .35 cents a mile, pay me 30 bucks an hr NOW! They said ok,,, now im making $30.00 an hour for every hour!
Old 05-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hellandback

Ya and 44 miles at 72 and 66 miles at 82,,, in one day, day after day it adds up FAST!

I told my company when they droped my truck to 62 to screw your .35 cents a mile, pay me 30 bucks an hr NOW! They said ok,,, now im making $30.00 an hour for every hour!
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 05-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hellandback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:

You are only getting a "paycut" on paper. A drop of 2 mph is a whopping 22 miles over the course of an 11 hour tour of duty. And even that assumes you are driving 62 mph from the second you start driving until the second you stop driving, and you are driving the full 11 hours every day. Since we both know neither of those things are true, your "paycut" is negligible at best.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Someone open a window in here! No wait!! I must be parked next to a Bullhauler! :shock: :lol:

Rev and Vito have it right! It really doesn't matter much if you get 22 miles less per day! MOST of you don't max out your 11 hours anyway.... and it is STILL the same distance/miles to your consignee! Where you will STILL sit and wait for hours to deliver! I SORTA see Evinrude's point that you may work an extra 1/2 hour a day for the same money.... WHEN you are actually driving..... but, I just don't see the HORROR of it! :roll:

Personally, I HATE the idea of turning down the trucks! Mine still does 75, thank God, but that's because y'all want your produce to be FRESH when you buy it! I hope it stays that way, but I will DEAL with it if it goes lower!

I will STILL make the same paycheck for the same weekly run, and I'll just tell my codriver he can't take an hour or two everytime we switch to eat and clear the fog from his brain! :lol:

Or maybe, instead of getting home at 3 a.m. I'll get home at 5! Big deal.... STILL can't buy beer until 7!!

Like someone said about traffic, mountains, rain, etc. You just can't really SAY if the speed reduction will really affect your working time. Not from week to week or day to day! If you worked at Mickey D's and got BUSY one day and had to work a little FASTER, or stand around a little LESS..... would you expect your pay to be adjusted?

I got an idea!...... maybe, if you REALLY don't want to work longer for less money..... you can learn to get the heck IN and OUT of the truckstop or fuel island a little FASTER!! That would make MY day better! Or how about learning to PARK in something less than 20 pullups! :shock: :lol:

Bunch of WUSSES driving trucks these days! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
...But slowing some trucks down scews the rest of us up. Slow truck have a harder time to climb a hill when top out at 55 mpm. And the rest of us make more lane changes to get around these turtles, the time they crest the hill they are doing 35 mph and are causing a back up of a pissed 4 wheelers and truckers make an unsafe environment.

On 65 and 70 mph highways trucks should be able achieve this speed if not find find and alt route.

So, although I'm not thoroughly thrilled about poking along and delaying traffic every now and then, I'm not complaining either...until I attempt passing another 60 mph truck! :x (OK, let the flaming begin....) :wink:

Unfortunately I get paid by speed, the faster I go the more I get paid. If got paid by the hour I would drive 5 mph under the limit or what ever my company wants.