User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimba
My high-flying 64 mph truck is in today for a B service and will come out a 62. That's alright with me as I've never been a speed demon. What does bother me is that I inherited the truck 10 weeks ago at 6.7 mpg and have since brought it up to 7.4. Instead of a bonus, I get a paycut?

You are only getting a "paycut" on paper. A drop of 2 mph is a whopping 22 miles over the course of an 11 hour tour of duty. And even that assumes you are driving 62 mph from the second you start driving until the second you stop driving, and you are driving the full 11 hours every day. Since we both know neither of those things are true, your "paycut" is negligible at best.

A little here and a little there it all adds up over time. Don't forget we are paid by the penny, so every penny counts. Also when oil goes up your pay should too, or poverty will be just around the corner.

But slowing some trucks down scews the rest of us up. Slow truck have a harder time to climb a hill when top out at 55 mpm. And the rest of us make more lane changes to get around these turtles, the time they crest the hill they are doing 35 mph and are causing a back up of a pissed 4 wheelers and truckers make an unsafe environment.

On 65 and 70 mph highways trucks should be able achieve this speed if not find find and alt route.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
I think there is other ways to save money other than on the backs of there drivers. Maybe you don't mind a reduction of a pay, but I am sure some of the drivers think they do enough for free already. Maybe your company should go out of business and leave the freight to other better paying companies that are not squeezing there drivers.
Dude...are you John Edwards?

These big, evil companies taking advantage of all of us working stiffs...this is getting a bit rediculous.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

[quote="TomB985"]
Quote:
I think there is other ways to save money other than on the backs of there drivers. Maybe you don't mind a reduction of a pay, but I am sure some of the drivers think they do enough for free already. Maybe your company should go out of business and leave the freight to other better paying companies that are not squeezing there drivers.
Dude...are you John Edwards?

Man my cover is blown.....lol
Old 05-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Senior Board Member

i just found out last night that we are going to get turned down to 65... next time we are in the shop..... don't think we will be going to the shop for some time if we can help it
Old 05-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
You are only getting a "paycut" on paper. A drop of 2 mph is a whopping 22 miles over the course of an 11 hour tour of duty. And even that assumes you are driving 62 mph from the second you start driving until the second you stop driving, and you are driving the full 11 hours every day. Since we both know neither of those things are true, your "paycut" is negligible at best.
They also neglect to account for the one factor that means more than any phony trucker equation that anyone can draw up - The available freight doesn't always match up exactly right with the hours you have available. The only real impact on a driver's pay that could possibly be caused by a slower truck would be due to having fewer hours available under the 70 hour rule. If the same miles take a longer time, then fewer hours would be left under the 70.

I have yet to hear from someone who can say truthfully, "I would have gotten a 500 mile run today, but they gave me a 460 mile run since that last trip took me an extra 45 minutes." The truth is that if a slower truck ever did cost someone a few bucks, which I'm sure it can from time to time, the driver would never know.

I lost 5mph in January and I have seen no reduction at all in my average miles per week. None. I saw more goofy calculations and rationalizations for how I was getting screwed than I care to count. All wrong. In point of fact it's a minor annoyance, nothing more.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 05-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99
Quote:
They also neglect to account for the one factor that means more than any phony trucker equation that anyone can draw up - The available freight doesn't always match up exactly right with the hours you have available. The only real impact on a driver's pay that could possibly be caused by a slower truck would be due to having fewer hours available under the 70 hour rule. If the same miles take a longer time, then fewer hours would be left under the 70.

I have yet to hear from someone who can say truthfully, "I would have gotten a 500 mile run today, but they gave me a 460 mile run since that last trip took me an extra 45 minutes." The truth is that if a slower truck ever did cost someone a few bucks, which I'm sure it can from time to time, the driver would never know.

I lost 5mph in January and I have seen no reduction at all in my average miles per week. None. I saw more goofy calculations and rationalizations for how I was getting screwed than I care to count. All wrong. In point of fact it's a minor annoyance, nothing more.

What will happen if they keep turning it down after ever 3 more months or so...just a another miner inconvenience?.....

There is no goofy calculations.. Its simple. Speed multiplied by CPM equals your rate of pay. Reduction of either means less money per hour. You may have lost 5 mph and no reduction of miles, but you work longer hours.

That's like getting paid by the hour and the companies reduces your hourly rate, but says don't worry we are going to let you work more hours to make up your losses.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Rookie

It's true that most people won't notice any difference at the end of the week, my question is are the computers in the office being cut back, is the spin on the wrench in the shop being cut back,,,,, and so on, why is it up to Drivers to take the cut back by them selves, they did not effect the cost increases in the price of fuel.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Don't worry yourself about the 62 mph truck! In a few weeks, you will be able to do a whole 2 mph over the new national speed limit!

There are currently 2 known bills on the federal level, to reduce the federal limit to 60 mph! From what I heard, it has lots of support. So the speed limiter issue that they have been debating, will become reality through those new black on white signs!

For those that think cutting the speed limits on the trucks is on the backs of drivers! Get over it! If the company fails, then your back will be on the street without a job!

Everyone survived the 70's at 55 mph, you will survive this! Have cut the speed back on my truck back on purpose with my foot and shift control! MPG up over 1/2 mpg, and I still get my pickups and deliveries done on time!
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 05-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
What will happen if they keep turning it down after ever 3 more months or so...just a another miner inconvenience?.....
At the point that it was more than a minor inconvenience, I would work elsewhere. I do love living in a free country. Free to whine, or free to go elsewhere. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.

Quote:
There is no goofy calculations.. Its simple. Speed multiplied by CPM equals your rate of pay.
No, CPM is the only simple part. Speed is a little different... What is the quadratic equation that describes the acceleration curve of your truck? How about my truck? What is the constant that you use to account for traffic jams and the corresponding reduction in average speed? What about mountains? If you lose 10mph going up, do you know how much speed you would need to gain coming back down to get back to your baseline average? What about lines at fuel stops? What about rainy weather, where everybody is slowed down? Surely your company should raise your CPM in those cases, right?
Quote:
Reduction of either means less money per hour. You may have lost 5 mph and no reduction of miles, but you work longer hours.
No, actually I don't. I've found that my time has been utilized more effectively by the planners in recent months, so I guess I'm just the lucky one who's not being held down by the man. But then again, I've been told all kinds of things on this forum about the hours that I work, so I guess this is nothing new.

Quote:
That's like getting paid by the hour and the companies reduces your hourly rate, but says don't worry we are going to let you work more hours to make up your losses.
Entitlement mentality is a beautiful thing, but I would suggest that it's more like a company saying that you can pitch in and keep your job or you can walk. Again, free country, there's the door, we all make our own choices.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 05-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Senior Board Member

If ya don't like the rules in this playground, go find another! Right! Pretty soon you will run out of playgrounds!
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA