LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2008, 01:17 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
I don't get paid by the mile, I get paid by the load. That's why I'm now turning down as many crap paying loads as I can and going after the loads that I know pay great.

As far as sitting in the seat longer, I checked on that. I took one of our normal runs that I've probably done 50 of. Even with my truck turned down 5mph, I made that run in the EXACT same amount of time. When I make that run, I stop at the exact same places for the bathroom, coffee, etc. When I arrived, I went through my logs and every run has taken the same amount of time. This is a 428 mile run from northern WV to southern NC.

So saying this formula does not apply to you? : Speed is the rate of motion, or equivalently the rate of change in position, often expressed as distance d traveled per unit of time t.

Speed is a scalar quantity with dimensions distance/time; the equivalent vector quantity to speed is known as velocity. In mathematical notation, it is simply:

V=d
-
t
Note that "v" is the variable for speed

For money reasons only.Tell me if you had a choice to drive a semi or a
jet plane @ 40 cpm which one would you chose and why?
This is why companies are able to get away with turning down the speed. Some drivers can't wrap their head around the fact that reduction of speed means a reduction of potential pay. And if they do it 2 mph here and there over months they don't notice a difference.

Classic frog in the boiling water scenario. We'll see if anyone smartens up before it gets down to 55.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:28 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

[quote="VitoCorleone99"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
You are only getting a "paycut" on paper. A drop of 2 mph is a whopping 22 miles over the course of an 11 hour tour of duty. And even that assumes you are driving 62 mph from the second you start driving until the second you stop driving, and you are driving the full 11 hours every day. Since we both know neither of those things are true, your "paycut" is negligible at best.
They also neglect to account for the one factor that means more than any phony trucker equation that anyone can draw up - The available freight doesn't always match up exactly right with the hours you have available. The only real impact on a driver's pay that could possibly be caused by a slower truck would be due to having fewer hours available under the 70 hour rule. If the same miles take a longer time, then fewer hours would be left under the 70.

I have yet to hear from someone who can say truthfully, "I would have gotten a 500 mile run today, but they gave me a 460 mile run since that last trip took me an extra 45 minutes." The truth is that if a slower truck ever did cost someone a few bucks, which I'm sure it can from time to time, the driver would never know.

I lost 5mph in January and I have seen no reduction at all in my average miles per week. None. I saw more goofy calculations and rationalizations for how I was getting screwed than I care to count. All wrong. In point of fact it's a minor annoyance, nothing more.

evinrude wrote : to me going slower means the following:

1 instead of hot meal i get leftovers.
2. come home to bang my wife, she is sleeping.
3. less time before I got to back to work.
4. getting passed by oj simpson in a white bronco.
5 less home time
Old 05-11-2008, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
I don't get paid by the mile, I get paid by the load. That's why I'm now turning down as many crap paying loads as I can and going after the loads that I know pay great.

As far as sitting in the seat longer, I checked on that. I took one of our normal runs that I've probably done 50 of. Even with my truck turned down 5mph, I made that run in the EXACT same amount of time. When I make that run, I stop at the exact same places for the bathroom, coffee, etc. When I arrived, I went through my logs and every run has taken the same amount of time. This is a 428 mile run from northern WV to southern NC.

So saying this formula does not apply to you? : Speed is the rate of motion, or equivalently the rate of change in position, often expressed as distance d traveled per unit of time t.

Speed is a scalar quantity with dimensions distance/time; the equivalent vector quantity to speed is known as velocity. In mathematical notation, it is simply:

V=d
-
t
Note that "v" is the variable for speed

For money reasons only.Tell me if you had a choice to drive a semi or a
jet plane @ 40 cpm which one would you chose and why?
This is why companies are able to get away with turning down the speed. Some drivers can't wrap their head around the fact that reduction of speed means a reduction of potential pay. And if they do it 2 mph here and there over months they don't notice a difference.

Classic frog in the boiling water scenario. We'll see if anyone smartens up before it gets down to 55.
So you have now gone from saying reduction in pay to saying reduction of "potential" pay. How will ACTUAL pay be affected by reducing truck speeds by 6 or 7 mph (without the childish insults please).

If they "do it 2 mph here and there over months" ,most if not all drivers will notice. The speedometer on the dashboard will reflect this , just like the fuel guage tells how much fuel the truck has,air guages tell how much air is in the tanks, oil pressure guage gives oil pressure & so on. A lot of goobers actually watch the guages on their dashboards , so despite the opinion you expressed earlier about some drivers being a sorry bunch & that truck driving is the right proffesion for them as a result, your "2 mph here & there over months" will not go unnoticed.

As for smartening up before it goes to 55 mph, it has already been stated that drivers have the option of quitting.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:12 AM
Board Icon

evinrude wrote :

Quote:
to me going slower means the following:

5 less home time
Are you saying you get home daily? If so, you don't drive enough miles for even a 5 or 10 mph reduction to cause ANY of that!

Out and back overnighter? Maybe, 600 miles max each way? 5 mph at MAX SPEED would only be 45 mins, but more likely no more than 20 mins difference. Again, I doubt you would miss a hot meal unless it's way past dinner time anyway. As for "banging your wife," with an attitude like that, she's probably pretending to be asleep anyway!

Big time OTR driver? Out 3 weeks? I'd say the same number of loads and miles (therefore same payCHECK,) and let's see..... on that LAST load of say 400 miles to get you home, your buddy's truck which wasn't turned down gets to the consignee near your home (assuming identical loads) maybe 15 mins ahead of you. And to the dock ahead of you. But, his unloader is lazy and it takes him 30 mins longer to get unloaded.... so, guess what??? YOU beat him home! Now your dinner is hotter than his..... but your wife is still P.O'd and you get nothing else! :lol:

Again, this is all based on the NEGLIGIBLE reduction of say 2 or 3 mph that this thread was based on.... not a whopping 10 or 15 mph reduction!

Trust me, any trucker who's ever done a logbook understands the formula for speed. And we ALL "understand" the various scenarios that were given to prove "on paper" a minimal cut in our equivalent HOURLY payrate. But, several very experienced drivers here have given you their PERSONAL testimony as to why it doesn't always work out that way, and why it'll probably have NO effect on your weekly miles or paycheck.

If you want to continue to cry over a few extra minutes here and there, just wait til you have to face the REAL life of a trucker! Better yet.... start practicing your Mickey D's welcome smile! :roll:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:17 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

As for smartening up before it goes to 55 mph, it has already been stated that drivers have the option of quitting.[/quote]

Yes, we have 3 options

1 take what the company unilaterally decides.
2 Quit
3 Get organized
Old 05-11-2008, 02:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Here is a SOLUTION to quit the fighting. EVERYONE SHOULD DO 55 MPH!!! This way everyone is happy.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:30 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L
Here is a SOLUTION to quit the fighting. EVERYONE SHOULD DO 55 MPH!!! This way everyone is happy.

Exactly... and get paid more I may add.... a perfect world.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member

But we all know doing 55 mph and higher pay won't happen!
Old 05-11-2008, 02:46 AM
Board Icon

Whammo:

You seem to think the evil companies are trying to reduce your earning potential. Why would they DO that? For each run YOU make, THEY make a profit. Each mile YOU drive, pays a percentage of their monthly payments on their trucks and OTHER OVERHEAD.

Trust me.... at the point where a reduction in TOP speed of a truck lessens it's earning potential (and thereby yours) it becomes economic suicide for them to continue. If a MINOR reduction will save them money in fuel, they will do it ONLY as long as they can continue to get the maximum number of loaded miles out of that truck per week.

If that happens to take a FEW more hours of your time.... WITHOUT reducing your loaded production for them.... well, that's what you signed on to do! Yes, a fuel bonus would be nice.... and who knows that all these companies that have been mentioned WON'T start paying one!?

With your attitude about the trucking industry, and the drivers particularly, I suggest you find another line of work. I don't think you'll be happy here. I don't think you've got what it takes.... to "git 'er done!"

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:58 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
evinrude wrote :

Quote:
to me going slower means the following:

5 less home time
Are you saying you get home daily? If so, you don't drive enough miles for even a 5 or 10 mph reduction to cause ANY of that!

Out and back overnighter? Maybe, 600 miles max each way? 5 mph at MAX SPEED would only be 45 mins, but more likely no more than 20 mins difference. Again, I doubt you would miss a hot meal unless it's way past dinner time anyway. As for "banging your wife," with an attitude like that, she's probably pretending to be asleep anyway!

Big time OTR driver? Out 3 weeks? I'd say the same number of loads and miles (therefore same payCHECK,) and let's see..... on that LAST load of say 400 miles to get you home, your buddy's truck which wasn't turned down gets to the consignee near your home (assuming identical loads) maybe 15 mins ahead of you. And to the dock ahead of you. But, his unloader is lazy and it takes him 30 mins longer to get unloaded.... so, guess what??? YOU beat him home! Now your dinner is hotter than his..... but your wife is still P.O'd and you get nothing else! :lol:

Again, this is all based on the NEGLIGIBLE reduction of say 2 or 3 mph that this thread was based on.... not a whopping 10 or 15 mph reduction!

Trust me, any trucker who's ever done a logbook understands the formula for speed. And we ALL "understand" the various scenarios that were given to prove "on paper" a minimal cut in our equivalent HOURLY payrate. But, several very experienced drivers here have given you their PERSONAL testimony as to why it doesn't always work out that way, and why it'll probably have NO effect on your weekly miles or paycheck.

If you want to continue to cry over a few extra minutes here and there, just wait til you have to face the REAL life of a trucker! Better yet.... start practicing your Mickey D's welcome smile! :roll:

delete