User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos64030
My truck's speed was turned down to 62 mph like 2 months ago. I still average about 3,300 miles or more per month.
PER MONTH?????? I average that PER WEEK
Old 05-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
I just got pointed to this thread, so let me make one thing clear from a moderator standpoint.

The playground insults are over. I see no problem with bickering and disagreeing, but when the best part of your argument is how best to use the word "retard" or "a-hole", you have already lost.

:roll:

That's the only warning we'll give.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Now, as far as the premise of the post, it's going to boil down to a very simple thing. If you cannot handle truck speeds getting turned down, it's time to get out of the industry.

And no, buying a truck doesn't count because if you do, then you are a hypocrite. Why? Because if you buy a truck, you will do one of two things.

- You will run it at 75 for a month and then be out of business, thereby proving all the "slow" companies right.

- Or you will run it at 60 along with all the "slow" company trucks, because it makes good business sense, again thereby proving all the "slow" companies right.

Again. :roll:

What part of that is hard to understand?

Newsflash for those that haven't gotten it yet. Companies are in business to stay in business. And businesses must change and adapt to adverse conditions and economies. If they don't, they are soon nothing more than a memory. And when they go, so does your job.

Those of you harping about supposedly getting less pay need to realize that before this is all over, every major company will have reduced truck speed and reduced idling. It's part of the changing industry and there's a lot of change on the horizon. You can either deal with it or you can move on. It's really that simple and no amount of whining is going to change it.

Look at it this way. There is no driver shortage...there is a serious driver glut right now. Many companies have either shut down or greatly restricted orientation and hiring of new drivers. The big companies are reducing fleet size by a thousand or more. Many of the big companies are also moving to a "short to medium haul" philosophy because the shorter freight pays a whole lot more than the long haul stuff. Coast to coast stuff is moving more and more to the rails.

A lot of the bigger companies are also reducing pay for incoming drivers. So, ask yourself how well you are going to do by leaving your current company because they reduced truck speed and winding up with a company making a dime less per mile, all to go 2 or 3 MPH more?

Bigger companies are also pushing lease purchase harder than ever because they know they'll find plenty of suckers out there that will be all too happy to jump into a "fast" truck and deliver their freight for a couple of months before they lose their "fast" truck. But no matter, they'll be another "fast" trucker sucker standing in line and ready to jump in the repo'd truck.

Then there are the little companies who are going out of business at the rate of thousands a week because they can't afford the fuel for those 85 MPH trucks that are tricked out with chrome and driver toys.

The industry is changing and it's changing fast. If you can't adapt to change, you might want to start looking through the want ads. Face it, you have no say in it. Right, wrong, or indifferent, you either change or leave. Whining about it is pointless. Making demands of your employer will simply get you a quick boot out the door. And bottom line, there is NO $.35 per mile company out there that is going to switch to paying a driver $30 an hour because the driver demanded it. That was rather funny, though.

So, in the end, it's all about change. The changes coming at this industry are going to be large scale. At first, it'll seem to be on the negative side for drivers: lower speed, shorter hauls, less idling. As things begin to shake out and the surviving companies begin to stablize, you'll probably see more driver perks coming about: more short haul dedicated runs, more salary runs, more bonuses (mileage, idling, etc), more perks like APU systems, etc.

Again, you either role with the changes or you move on. And it's tough out there right now. Not many jobs like trucking where you can get in and have the potential for $40K, $50K, $60K or more and not even have to have a college education. So take a good long hard look at the economy as a whole (not just trucking) and ask yourself just how trivial it is go have to go a few MPH slower?

I think the answer is pretty obvious.
TW... I for one was hoping you'd come in with a voice of reason... As an O/O I fully understand the BENEFITS of NOT driving too fast... I pull Rocky Mountain Doubles along the Alaska Highway... fuel mileage is tough to get at the best of times & with the cost of fuel up the upwards of up to $6/gallon in the Yukon, believe me...a penny saved on fuel is a penny earned!

For those interested this is a Rocky Mountain Double...GVW roughly 123,000 lbs... I AVERAGE 7 mpg at 60 mph!

These are the roads I deal with EVERYDAY!....

Thank you again TW!!!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 05-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Board Regular

Very well said, Twilightflyer...

Unfortunately, I think it's unlikely that many people will listen...I seem to see the "hell with the company, other drivers, and everyone else, it's all about MY paycheck!" attitude out here all along.

These types of people are unlikely to see anything past their own bank account or accelerator pedal, and will continue to whine about it.

Oh well...to each their own... :P
Old 05-07-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Quote:
My truck's speed was turned down to 62 mph like 2 months ago. I still average about 3,300 miles or more per month.

Uhhhhh.... it's already been established that I made a mistake by typing "month" instead of "week".
Old 05-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Quote:

Uhhhhh.... it's already been established that I made a mistake by typing "month" instead of "week".
Last year I averaged about 4000 miles a week, so I almost beat you. :P
Old 05-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Are you serious? You are only running 36,000 miles per year????
Quick, Rev...... rethink your MATH!

Before one of these whiners accuses you of being as "smart" as ME!! :lol: :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
Quote:
There is no goofy calculations.. Its simple. Speed multiplied by CPM equals your rate of pay.
golfhobo wrote:
No, CPM is the only simple part. Speed is a little different... What is the quadratic equation that describes the acceleration curve of your truck? How about my truck? What is the constant that you use to account for traffic jams and the corresponding reduction in average speed? What about mountains? If you lose 10mph going up, do you know how much speed you would need to gain coming back down to get back to your baseline average? What about lines at fuel stops? What about rainy weather, where everybody is slowed down?

Man can you make a mess of something so simple.
Actually, Evinrude..... I didn't say any of THAT! Vito did! Now who's made a mess? :lol:

MOST of the intelligent conversation on this thread was over by the end of the third page, where the Rev accurately portrayed the picture of the 2 worst whiners! (I'm giving YOU a pass, Evinrude. I SAID that I "sort of" saw your point. You should be careful, though, to whose horse you hitch your wagon!)

Now.... as for my "retarded" response concerning Math..... I apologize, and am duly embarrassed. It has bothered me all week! I guess it's just a knee-jerk reaction to my school daze when I got "bullied" for being the smartest kid in class! I don't LIKE having my intelligence questioned! Especially by those who think they can drive 11 hours EVERY day at a certain speed and get PAID for it! :roll: (And have a load waiting for them 1 minute later!)

I believe the posts of the remaining 10 pages supported my claims, and so, I am not as embarrassed for ME as I am for the "goober twins!" :lol:

I DID make a statement "similar" to Vito's about the variances in a day's work that affect your TIME spent covering a dispatched load, so I welcome the compliment! I think those on "my side" of this argument have adequately, and impressively, shown their understanding of the MATH involved in trucking.... in REAL life anyway..... and again I am pleased to be part of an industry with SO MANY smart people! Then, there are the REST of you! :lol:

I REALLY got a "kick" out of the grammatical dispute... and for the record.... their are exceptions to the i before e rule! And then there are typos! I often get in a hurry and transpose the i and e, and have even typed there for their! Don't know why.... it just has something to do with typing (I guess.) And then, there are some on here who just ain't got gud English! So what?? They may be better at math! I can just about guarantee there are FEW O/O's on this board who are bad at math! But, there ARE many company whiners who suck at it! :!:

None here have mistaken the "elementary" math involved in multiplying MAX hours times CPM! But, only a FEW here are concerned with it, because it doesn't happen!

I did something over 5500 miles this week (team) and I actually KNOW whether I met my "average" time on the road or not! But, it didn't really matter! I'll get the SAME paycheck! I'll probably get the SAME "hometime." I didn't max out my 70, but got close enough that I can't take another load until I've reset..... AND until the loads are available!

I have a 75mph truck, but I ran into countless construction zones with reduced speed limits, bad weather, shipper delays, and even took a few naps! I got my load delivered "EARLY" and had good luck at the 3 shippers for the return load! I got out of Salinas about the same time I ALWAYS get out of there, and got home in GOOD time! I'll get the SAME paycheck for the same number of miles as the last time I made this particular run!

I go from point A to B and then C to A. I don't go from A to B to C to D to E, etc.... but, I can't for the life of me see how someone who DOES will get MORE loads (i.e: MILES) regardless of the speed of his truck! (in REALITY) SURE.... it COULD happen.... once in awhile! But, not often enough to make a major difference in a trucker's weekly paycheck! Your DISPATCHER has a bigger effect on your paycheck than the speed of your truck does! :roll:

If I divide my paycheck by EVERY hour not spent on my 10 hour breaks, I STILL made more per hour than I can make at any LOCAL job offered in my area! And I didn't have to "hump" product to DO it! :shock: Or wash out my tank, or get filthy dirty, or even get tired and worn out! You "hourly" guys can HAVE it! You certainly WORK for it!

Hobo

Old 05-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
Quote:
There is no goofy calculations.. Its simple. Speed multiplied by CPM equals your rate of pay.
golfhobo wrote:
No, CPM is the only simple part. Speed is a little different... What is the quadratic equation that describes the acceleration curve of your truck? How about my truck? What is the constant that you use to account for traffic jams and the corresponding reduction in average speed? What about mountains? If you lose 10mph going up, do you know how much speed you would need to gain coming back down to get back to your baseline average? What about lines at fuel stops? What about rainy weather, where everybody is slowed down?

Actually, Evinrude..... I didn't say any of THAT! Vito did! Now who's made a mess? :lol:

MOST of the intelligent conversation on this thread was over by the end of the third page, where the Rev accurately portrayed the picture of the 2 worst whiners! (I'm giving YOU a pass, Evinrude. I SAID that I "sort of" saw your point. You should be careful, though, to whose horse you hitch your wagon!)

Now.... as for my "retarded" response concerning Math..... I apologize, and am duly embarrassed. It has bothered me all week! I guess it's just a knee-jerk reaction to my school daze when I got "bullied" for being the smartest kid in class! I don't LIKE having my intelligence questioned! Especially by those who think they can drive 11 hours EVERY day at a certain speed and get PAID for it! :roll: (And have a load waiting for them 1 minute later!)

I believe the posts of the remaining 10 pages supported my claims, and so, I am not as embarrassed for ME as I am for the "goober twins!" :lol:

I DID make a statement "similar" to Vito's about the variances in a day's work that affect your TIME spent covering a dispatched load, so I welcome the compliment! I think those on "my side" of this argument have adequately, and impressively, shown their understanding of the MATH involved in trucking.... in REAL life anyway..... and again I am pleased to be part of an industry with SO MANY smart people! Then, there are the REST of you! :lol:

I REALLY got a "kick" out of the grammatical dispute... and for the record.... their are exceptions to the i before e rule! And then there are typos! I often get in a hurry and transpose the i and e, and have even typed there for their! Don't know why.... it just has something to do with typing (I guess.) And then, there are some on here who just ain't got gud English! So what?? They may be better at math! I can just about guarantee there are FEW O/O's on this board who are bad at math! But, there ARE many company whiners who suck at it! :!:

None here have mistaken the "elementary" math involved in multiplying MAX hours times CPM! But, only a FEW here are concerned with it, because it doesn't happen!

I did something over 5500 miles this week (team) and I actually KNOW whether I met my "average" time on the road or not! But, it didn't really matter! I'll get the SAME paycheck! I'll probably get the SAME "hometime." I didn't max out my 70, but got close enough that I can't take another load until I've reset..... AND until the loads are available!

I have a 75mph truck, but I ran into countless construction zones with reduced speed limits, bad weather, shipper delays, and even took a few naps! I got my load delivered "EARLY" and had good luck at the 3 shippers for the return load! I got out of Salinas about the same time I ALWAYS get out of there, and got home in GOOD time! I'll get the SAME paycheck for the same number of miles as the last time I made this particular run!

I go from point A to B and then C to A. I don't go from A to B to C to D to E, etc.... but, I can't for the life of me see how someone who DOES will get MORE loads (i.e: MILES) regardless of the speed of his truck! (in REALITY) SURE.... it COULD happen.... once in awhile! But, not often enough to make a major difference in a trucker's weekly paycheck! Your DISPATCHER has a bigger effect on your paycheck than the speed of your truck does! :roll:

If I divide my paycheck by EVERY hour not spent on my 10 hour breaks, I STILL made more per hour than I can make at any LOCAL job offered in my area! And I didn't have to "hump" product to DO it! :shock: Or wash out my tank, or get filthy dirty, or even get tired and worn out! You "hourly" guys can HAVE it! You certainly WORK for it!

Hobo

Sorry mixed up the qoute thing. Btw the don't loose any sleep on my posts our anybody else's ....Most stuff is lies and Bull...
Old 05-09-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
Quote:
golfhobo wrote:

Hobo
I find it interesting that you keep insisting that someone actually thought anyone could drive pedal to the metal 11 hours per day. Nobody thinks that and it was slowly explained to you several times.

Slowing down truck speeds caps potential earnings. There is not the slightest doubt. If you make the same money it is because you either drive longer or never drove over the cap speed before the cap was in place, ever.

No matter how you slice it, the math is understandable by a 9 year old. The Dick and Jane "11 hours driving petal to the metal" scenario was to demonstrate for the goobers how the math works.

Please don't make me repeat this a fourth time.

Now that doesn't mean I don't grasp why the companies are doing it, or that I am saying the companies are wrong to turn down the speeds, or that everyone will lose a lot of money. Depending on how some people drive they may only need to drive an extra 10 minutes to stay equal.

And of course if you're paid by the load it doesn't effect you.

And of course if you are an o/o it is in your best interest to slow things down, when practical.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Board Icon

Whammo said:

Quote:
I find it interesting that you keep insisting that someone actually thought anyone could drive pedal to the metal 11 hours per day. Nobody thinks that and it was slowly explained to you several times.
They didn't?? Well, let's look at this quote which you wholeheartedly supported:

Quote:
Whammo said:

2hellandback wrote:

Quote:
Based on .35 cents per mile and an 11 hour drive day

Pay at 62 miles per hour 238.70 x 5 days = 1193.50 per week

Pay at 72 miles per hour 277.20 x 5 days = $1386.00 per week

Pay at 62 miles per hour = $4774.00 per month

Pay at 72 miles per hour = $5544.00 per month

Difference in pay 62mph VS. 72 mph = $770.00 per month

SCREW 62,,, I WANT AN EXTRA $770.00 A MONTH OR $9240.00 PER YEAR
These goobers that think you don't lose money when the companies roll back the governors are incapable of 5th grade math.

If you are making the same money it is because you are driving more hours, plain and simple. Get a clue.
Not ONLY does your "idol" quote figures based ENTIRELY on maintaining "cap speed" for an entire 11 hours a day, but he ALSO upped the ante from the 2mph discrepancy suggested by the O.P. to a TEN MILE per hour reduction in truck speed, which I'm pretty sure most of us would agree would have MORE than just a negligible affect on weekly pay.

But, have you heard the term "within the margin of error" as used in polling? Well, due to all the circumstances many of US have tried to explain MORE than 4 times to YOU, a 2mph cut is within that margin of error.... and though, "on paper," it may look like a pay RATE cut.... it most likely will NOT result in a payCHECK reduction! And I hope THAT will be the last time I have to explain THAT to YOU! :roll:

Furthermore, your "idol" stops at 5 days in his calculations. Why doesn't he max out his 70 and WHINE about an even LARGER "immaginary" loss of wages?? I'll tell you why..... because HE... like YOU.... knows nothing about trucking and probably hasn't driven a MILE yet!

Let's look at ANOTHER of his quotes:

When the REV said:

Quote:
You are only getting a "paycut" on paper. A drop of 2 mph is a whopping 22 miles over the course of an 11 hour tour of duty. And even that assumes you are driving 62 mph from the second you start driving until the second you stop driving, and you are driving the full 11 hours every day. Since we both know neither of those things are true, your "paycut" is negligible at best.
YOUR favorite SuperTrucker* said:

Quote:
Ya and 44 miles at 72 and 66 miles at 82,,, in one day, day after day it adds up FAST!
Do I need to break this error in 5th grade math down for you..... or can you figure it out on your own? (now that I've pointed it out to you!) :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
Slowing down truck speeds caps potential earnings. There is not the slightest doubt. If you make the same money it is because you either drive longer or never drove over the cap speed before the cap was in place, ever.
Or, because on any given day, you may "average" less than you did the day before! Or higher! More construction, more traffic, more pottystops! :roll:

Quote:
No matter how you slice it, the math is understandable by a 9 year old. The Dick and Jane "11 hours driving petal to the metal" scenario was to demonstrate for the goobers how the math works.
Okay, let's LOOK at Dick and Jane!...

Whammo said:

Quote:
And to make it even easier for you goobers to make the connection:

If Dick drives 11 hours @ 55mph making 50cpm he takes home $302.50

If Jane drives 11 hours @ 65mph making 50cpm she takes home $357.50
AGAIN you have adopted the 10mph difference! No one ELSE on here was addressing such a "rollback." And AGAIN YOU are assuming "pedal to the metal" standards, not to mention INFLATED cpm's JUST to be able to show a mere $55 difference in pay. And, that would be GROSS PAY.... not "take home" as you suggest! You may SAY this example was just to show us "goobers" how to do the math..... but it is STILL a "pedal to the metal" scenario..... one you say NO ONE PRESENTED! :roll:

Quote:
Please don't make me repeat this a fourth time.
No need! I'm about DONE with you and your math wizard friend! :roll: :lol:

Quote:
Now that doesn't mean I don't grasp why the companies are doing it, or that I am saying the companies are wrong to turn down the speeds, or that everyone will lose a lot of money. Depending on how some people drive they may only need to drive an extra 10 minutes to stay equal.
NOW you are starting to get the picture that WE have all been trying to paint! A NEGLIGIBLE difference in time OR payrate, for a FEW mph rollback!

I understand that YOU and your friend are all about every penny per hour you can make..... but, I've been trying to tell you that if you drive OTR, you just CAN'T calculate it that way! It VARIES from day to day REGARDLESS of your truck speed!

Quote:
And of course if you're paid by the load it doesn't effect you.
Why WOULDN'T it?? If someone is paid a percentage of the load, but because of a few mph rollback on his truck, it takes him LONGER to deliver that load, it would STILL result in less money per hour..... now, wouldn't it?? [Boy, you're a mathematical GENIUS!]

My point, exactly, is that most of us figure our workweek by the LOAD....or the MILES... and what it takes to get it delivered so we can sit and WAIT for the next one!

Quote:
And of course if you are an o/o it is in your best interest to slow things down, when practical.
But, doesn't that reduce THEIR hourly rate as well?? (Or, at least, the number of loads they can haul in a week/month?) This "sucking up" to the O/O's PROVES that it is not ALL ABOUT the hourly rate! There ARE things more important..... and as a company driver, that "thing" might be your JOB! :shock: :lol:

Well..... this has been FUN! Can't say it was much of a challenge to my goober mind, though! :wink:

* term used in place of one that may have gotten this thread locked! :lol: