User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by janedean
Let me get this straight... I wear khakis and polos, new leather shoes, shower every day. I'm one of my companies top rated drivers and my boss told me just yesterday that he wished he had a few more of me. But you're telling me that because my hair is spiked and blue and I have a lip ring, that I'm not clean cut and I'm part of the problem. Ya'll need to lighten up...
I think its great that you have a good job and can "express yourself" with blue hair and weird peircings. Hell, in my younger years I was a weirdo punk rocker with a green mohawk. Eventually I grew up and decided dressing professionally was better for me and my income.
If your employer has no problem with you looking that way and you dont have a problem with people treating you different because you look different, then keep your "look".
For the most part what I and others were saying that things like that CAN AND DO limit your job choices and it is very true that if you dress professionally, you will be treated better. Thats just a fact of life. Its human nature to steriotype and it will never change.
Personally, I do think its amazing that I see a lot of people who say things like "I wont change the way I look for any job". To me that is silly.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Unless you are applying for a clown job with a circus. Something I would not ever consider for moral reasons. Not to mention the fact that I would look frightening as a clown.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
I think its great that you have a good job and can "express yourself" with blue hair and weird peircings. Hell, in my younger years I was a weirdo punk rocker with a green mohawk.

My wife was really glad we had a girl - I told her that if we had a boy, I was giving him a 'hawk. Nothing's cute quite like a 3 or 4 year old running around with a good mohawk.

Also, Sheep, if you still dig punk, you should check out my band below. We're what's commonly referred to these days as "Ramones-core".