User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 01:57 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Trucking to BEAT depression.

I think there is absolutely something to this. I can go on and on here.

But for now, does anyone have any stories (perhaps inspiring) for the rest of us involving trucking and how it can treat depression and who knows what other mood problems???
Old 02-07-2008, 02:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Uhhhhhhhhhh......NO.

Let's see. Long periods without meaningful personal contact. Traffic. Away from family. Traffic. Horrible food. Traffic. Sleeping in a truck. Traffic. Lot lizards banging on your window at 2am. Traffic. Unpredictable sleep schedule. Did I mention traffic? :lol:

Old 02-07-2008, 02:36 AM
Senior Board Member

No kidding Greg.....doing local work in Los Angeles sucks big time.......
Old 02-07-2008, 03:28 AM

Not to mention having 11 hours of driving to think about all your problems. That alone is enough to screw you up. Not to mention all the things the others said.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Senior Board Member

It depends. Most people with depression also suffer from social anixiety. Being alone more in that situation helps. I know it helps me out. Working local jobs where I deal with people pretty much constantly drives me nuts. The longest I've ever been able to hold down a local job was 9 months, and that was because I was mowing a cemetary and we would only have me there 90% of the time.

I used to take meds for my depression, but when I found that most companies don't want a medicated driver I had my doctor ween me off of them. I haven't taken any meds now for almost 8 years and am doing much better.

Be sure to have a cell phone so that you can call people when you're feeling down. Also, it's pretty easy to get a conversation going on the CB to take your mind off of things.

It's not easy, but it can be done.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:22 PM

[quote="greg3564"]Uhhhhhhhhhh......NO.

Let's see. Long periods without meaningful personal contact. Traffic. Away from family. Traffic. Horrible food. Traffic. Sleeping in a truck. Traffic. Lot lizards banging on your window at 2am. Traffic. Unpredictable sleep schedule. Did I mention traffic? :lol:[/qu

you are on the money. The worst feeling for me is getting lost while on a 2 lane country road or having to drive 30 miles or more before you can get turned around.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:31 AM
Board Regular

this is a real good question,the wife and i drive for Fed Ex CC the both of us have been off the road for right at 3 months now due to personel reasons.While sitting here at home taking care of bizness and get things back in order.The both of us are climbing the walls and bored to death.

Told the wife just today give me a load to NYC or bronx anyehere hell i would even take downtown L.A. Traffic doesn't bother me one bit i found when it chaotic, tight and hectic just set back and enjoy the ride thats the trouble ppl. rush the crap i dont get no hurry the frieght will get there just as fast my way.

BTW when it comes to the depression issues i leave that sh!t at home when i get out on the road i have the freedom and solitude i dont read up on the news ands crap that makes a person depressed.the wife and are out there to enjoy what we do.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Uhhhhhhhhhh......NO.

Let's see. Long periods without meaningful personal contact. Traffic. Away from family. Traffic. Horrible food. Traffic. Sleeping in a truck. Traffic. Lot lizards banging on your window at 2am. Traffic. Unpredictable sleep schedule. Did I mention traffic? :lol:

LOL ... sorry man I could just see the responses comming ...

I am TOLD ...some people just love this lifestyle ...I mean to be a bit philosophical ( more than experianced ) as a newb to the industry whos still got both feet on the ground ( no Job or training yet ) ...heres what I think ...

For me ...Im outa work ...cant find a job in my own profession as construction has wained somewhat ...and truth is after 20 years I am burned out ...so someone sayin " okay Kid common ...lets roll " would cheer the livid sillyness out of me ...

I like to drive ....really I do ...my basic nature for some reason ...I know there are fools and dangerous ego driven morons out there ...whom I can only assume have unusually small members and thus need to prove something ( Ohhh and women speeding what is up with that ??? is this recent or has it always been that way and I am wayyy too wrapped up in myself to notice ??? ) ...i do its like a ...challenge i guess ...and I like the Idea of surviving where others do not ( Yes I am a romantic fool as it were ) ...

Then Again Like these men and women I dont do it every day ...day in day out ...maile after neverending mile ...now i hope to ...but havent yet ..

I think "rolling my way to double Mortguage payments " and Having money hit the accounts I EARNED ... now THAT would go a long way to decrasing MY OWN PERSONAL anxiety ( SHe a Psych Nurse and Makes good money ...She would never disrespect me like that ...course she doesnt have to ...I do it to myself ...maybe its a concionce ...i dunno )

I dont think you meant it THIS WAY ...but if you are suggesting that it could somehow replace meds ???? ...uhhh no ...that would make you unstable with up to 80,000 lbs of weapon .... sorry just had to throw that one in ...

Lastly ...Drivers Arm ...drivers like farmers have a notorious "tanning " pattern ....left arm constantly in the sun ....Sunshine does stimulate the production of Vitamin "D" in the human body ...and that does relieve certain symptoms of depression ...

Hope that helps

Shawn ( Ogre )
Old 02-09-2008, 01:05 PM

woops sorry I quoted the wrong statement ...DOH!
Old 02-09-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Uhhhhhhhhhh......NO.

hey ...side question about lot lizzards ... Ummm look I hate to talk bad about the working girls ...in my youth abroad i certainly kept company there ...and hell i respect making a living with whatever talents you have ...okay that out of the way ...I'm not Interested theese days ... I do frequently get insomnia at home ...so when I do get some sound sleep...man I hate getting rousted ...so My question is ... DO those NO LOUNGE LIZZARD stickers work at all ????

Firgive my ignorance ...but i have wondered that from the get go ...