User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I guess this is a question only you can answer. I will tell you this; my dad suffers from depression and he always wanted to quit his accounting job and become a truck driver. He grew up on a ranch and had to drive trucks from time to time to move cattle and always liked it. Whenever his depression got bad he would always go out and take long drives. This always seemed to cheer him up for some reason.

He got help for his depression and is doing really well now, but I know he would have preferred a job with less social contact, and no boss hanging over him.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:44 PM

"DO those NO LOUNGE LIZZARD stickers work at all ????"

Sometimes the "No LOT lizzard" stickers work and sometimes the girls knock anyway. If they don't ask, they don't get.

That aside, I found long solo hours on the road to be therapeutic. I solved many of my own problems and I solved the world's problems
(well, maybe not). I mean, you're free to think your own thoughts, laugh, cry, whatever, and say anything you want to--out loud. Who's going to know?

There's nothing like a long drive to get your mind right. But some people suffer from depression no matter where they are and whether they're alone or not and they need clinical help. I think it's two different things.

Solitude on the road is vastly under-rated. I'd quit if I had to run team.

OP: Just being alone to think things through has worked for me.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:21 PM

:lol: Lounge Lizzard ...lol ..okay I gomered ...so there really arent cheezzy off vegas singing acts crawling through truck stops willing to croon you to sleep for 20 bucks ??? damn ...okay forget it ...I quit ... LOL

Thanks for the correction .... LOL ... sorry funny image

Shawn (Ogre)
Old 02-09-2008, 06:44 PM

"there really arent cheezzy off vegas singing acts crawling through truck stops willing to croon you to sleep for 20 bucks . . ."

Don't quit! Enjoy! The show's just starting!

Seriously, just park at a big truck stop, get some popcorn, and turn on your CB. There's always some driver who thinks he can sing--he's wrong.

Actually, "lounge lizzard" sounds better.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:06 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre999
...so when I do get some sound sleep...man I hate getting rousted ...so My question is ... DO those NO LOUNGE LIZZARD stickers work at all ????
I drove a couple of trucks that had those stickers from previous drivers in the windows. Didn't seem to make any difference. But what I did have that worked was a ball cap... That said "INDIANA STATE POLICE". At night, I would put it on the dash so that you could read it from outside the truck. The girls did not knock on my sleeper... :lol: 8)

But then I had the guys from either side of my truck knocking on my sleeper and telling me to take the "DAMNED THING" out of my window so that they could get the girls to come to their trucks. :shock:

Old 02-10-2008, 02:58 AM
Board Regular

its kind of sad really, but in 20 years I've only had 3 Lot (lounge :lol: ) Lizzards bang on my door. One didn't want to take no for an answer so I popped back into the sleeper and pulled out a flare gun. He ran like hell.....and I have NEVER stayed at the Flying J in Springville, Ut ever again. BTW, a flaregun is a safety device, but it will sure will kill a person and this was back in 99 when they were finding drivers dead in their sleepers along I-15.

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 02-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Rookie

Yes, you could relieve your depression by driving. Taking any action could relieve the depression, especially if the action is something you have wanted to do for a while.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:46 AM

I am no doctor, but also agree that it seems a lot of depression can be brought on by a reluctance to socialize and interact. Solo OTR trucking may not be the right way to deal with it, but it could give the sufferer a chance to see life in a light he has not seen, and possibly can slowly come out of the problem, and get better, once he realizes who he is, and that it is ok to be different, and not around people all the time.

Didn't Christ take to solitude for 40 days wandering in the desert alone when the people around him go to be too much?

The only thing I can guarantee you is that you will either love it, or hate it, there seems to be few in-betweeners in this business.

If your hear the open road calling you, you should at least try it, and see. You will never know, and life is very short.

Wish you well whatever you decide, and sorry to hear you are dealing with depression.

One last thought. Years ago, I lost a very dear friend to suicide. I was very depressed over it, and thought of joining her. A very wise old man that I knew saw what I was going thru. He reminded it is ok and normal to feel sad, and that when we do, we are actually closer to the truth of seeing life for what it really is, than when we are all drunk and slap happy. That stuck with me, and not advocating you wear sadness as a badge of being enlightened, but it is not anything to be ashamed of.

Regards, and at least try trucking. It may be your calling. You can always quit, if not.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:47 AM

double post, sorry
Old 02-13-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre999
...so when I do get some sound sleep...man I hate getting rousted ...so My question is ... DO those NO LOUNGE LIZZARD stickers work at all ????
I drove a couple of trucks that had those stickers from previous drivers in the windows. Didn't seem to make any difference. But what I did have that worked was a ball cap... That said "INDIANA STATE POLICE". At night, I would put it on the dash so that you could read it from outside the truck. The girls did not knock on my sleeper... :lol: 8)

But then I had the guys from either side of my truck knocking on my sleeper and telling me to take the "DAMNED THING" out of my window so that they could get the girls to come to their trucks. :shock:
LOL ...like that say ...you can please some of the people ...some of the time ....you'll never please all of the people all of the time ...lol ...verry Shneaky ....maybe if I park at the outter edge or something ... Or I could walk around singing to the tune of old Tony Orlando " Knock three times " ...Knock three times ...and Ill shot you through the seeper hatch "...ehhh no thats kinda much ...I'm sure if i can ever get out there I'll work it out ...maybe just toss em a five to leave me alone ...

thanks for the Laugh ....

Shawn(Ogre)