User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 03:29 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Internet access

Ok I am just starting a career in the trucking industry. one thing I am wondering about is Internet access, From what I have heard (second hand) is that my company pays for idleair, which I guess has satellite, and internet. Also every cell phone company seems to have broadband cards, T-mobile from what I have read only works in starbucks and other certain locations, others from what I have been told work anywhere you phone works. I noticed that idleair doesnt seem to be available in most of the united states so I will need some sort of backup plan. I wont be starting up with alot of money so need to know the best way to go about internet access. I have purchased a laptop with a wireless card, dvd player, and tv card. I would love some opinions on internet access. Do truck stops have wireless internet access??? I have directv at home but I figured it would be too difficult to try to set up a dish everytime I want to watch tv. I am bringing alot of dvd's so I am not overly concerned about tv, but internet access is important, for communication with my wife, plus I do my banking, and pay bills online

let me know what ya think
Mike
Old 09-12-2006, 03:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most of the major truck stops have their own WiFi. The problem with them is that they are only good at the respective truck stops and only while you are on the premises. Flying J WiFi will only work at Flying J. TA will only work at TA, etc., With most of them you can pay by the hour, day, week, month or annually. I know things are tight right now, but I would consider getting an air card when you can. An air card works anywhere there is cell service. Unlimited use runs about $60/month with most of the major providers. WiFi will cost you about $24/month.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:56 AM
Rookie
Default Best company with air card

thanks for your reply. What is the best company to go with for mobile internet service???
Old 09-12-2006, 03:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Most of the major truck stops have their own WiFi. The problem with them is that they are only good at the respective truck stops and only while you are on the premises. Flying J WiFi will only work at Flying J. TA will only work at TA, etc., With most of them you can pay by the hour, day, week, month or annually. I know things are tight right now, but I would consider getting an air card when you can. An air card works anywhere there is cell service. Unlimited use runs about $60/month with most of the major providers. WiFi will cost you about $24/month.
Is WiFi faster than an air card? I have an air card from T-Mobil and it seems to be as slow as dial-up.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Default Re: Best company with air card

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxguy28
thanks for your reply. What is the best company to go with for mobile internet service???

I use Sprint. The main reason I went with them is that I could get a free air card, at the time. Another reason I went with them is because I have my other phones with them. It was just convenient. So far they have done a decent job for me. Verizon, Cingular, and T-Mobile also have air cards. It depends on where you run. I have had service most everywhere I run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
Is WiFi faster than an air card? I have an air card from T-Mobil and it seems to be as slow as dial-up.
It depends on which service you use and whether you have one of the newer air cards. Some are supposed to be about as fast as DSL. My first air card was about as slow as dial up. I haven't used WiFi since I got my air card. As I recall it was very slow. The more people who are on WiFi the slower it will run. The main advantage to having an air card is that you are not limited as to where you can get on line. If you can get a signal, you can get on line. With WiFi, you are limited to the area serviced by the provider. It is usually their parking lot. When you leave the truck stop, you lose the connection. With an air card, you can actually access the internet while driving down the interstate. If funds are tight right now, you may want to go with WiFi. If you can afford an air card, it is much better.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
It depends. If you are sitting inside the building, and not in your truck, then you MIGHT be able to get a good WIFI connection. I personally think that, on average, aircards will beat WIFI, hands down. Most of the WIFI providers CLAIM a 14 mbps connection speed, but the actual transfer rates are FAR BELOW this. I remember when I had WIFI, that I was usually around 14 KBPS, rather than 14 MBPS.

I've gotten speeds of over 1700 kbps on my Verizon air card, when connected to a broadband signal.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:59 PM
Rookie

Hello! I have been working as a truck driver for many years. What a pleasure it is when you drive and cross the roads of different countries. The road and you, everything else is just small details. When the Internet stops working, your favorite music stops playing, colleagues reported problems with data transfer, then such a feeling that all life stops. That's why I started looking for a new provider. I found verizon wireless reviews. I contacted them. Now all communications are available to me.