LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 05:06 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L
I would just feel bad if I seen someone in trouble and didn't offer them any help. But at the same time it's a bad quality cause people could try to sue you or something!
Double L...

The Good Samaritan Law is there to protect you. It is unlikely you would be in any trouble for trying to help someone in distress, or responding in any way necessary as the situation calls for.

Good Samaritan laws (acts) in the United States and Canada are laws/acts protecting from blame those who choose to aid others who are injured or ill. They are intended to reduce bystanders' hesitation to assist, for fear of being sued or prosecuted for unintentional injury or wrongful death.

In my case, I am a licensed EMT. I am held to higher standards.

Hate to post this but… Tort Law: Tort Liability Negligent Undertaking; case study numbers in the thousands of settled and contested losses. Research it some time – un-F’ing Believable. :evil:

I have always tried to do what was right and will continue in spite of Tort law. I help those who I can, to the very best of my ability.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
keep truckin I dont like to get my self involed in BS like that. Next thing you know you might have to end up in court and deal with all that stuff.
That one little sentence sure says alot about you....
Old 01-24-2008, 05:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
keep truckin I dont like to get my self involed in BS like that. Next thing you know you might have to end up in court and deal with all that stuff.
That one little sentence sure says alot about you....
I'm gonna have to agree, like someone else said what if it was your family member, wouldn't you want someone to help? I remember when CX Robinson of Champaign, Illinois was still in business. There was this story of this female trucker who helped lady cause she lost control of her car. The lady of the car hated homosexuals and truck drivers! Here comes the tragic part of the story, the lady truck driver tried everything in her power to save her sons life but he passed away. The officer asked the truck driver to tell the lady her son didn't make it so she did. Anyway the lady and the truck driver talked after that and got along great and the lady that lost her son had a new found respect for truck drivers!

I use to read it alot and just reading it made me thankful and respect truck drivers much more, even though it runs in my family it's still a joy to hear good stories about truck drivers!
Old 01-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
The Good Samaritan Law is there to protect you. It is unlikely you would be in any trouble for trying to help someone in distress, or responding in any way necessary as the situation calls for.
Quoting from: http://firstaid.about.com/od/medical...qt/goodsam.htm "In some states, good Samaritan laws only cover medically trained rescuers, while other states extend protection to the general public. The good Samaritan concept is commonly applied in the courts, which means a case going that far may still be ruled in favor of the rescuer who was trying to help. What good Samaritan laws do for rescuers is provide a get-out-of-court-free card. In other words, unpaid rescuers may prevail in court with or without a good Samaritan law, but it's a lot cheaper if they have the protection.

The best way to protect yourself from possible liability when helping others is to always act on behalf of the victim. That may sound obvious, but if your motivation is to be a hero and not to help out a fellow human, then you risk making the types of mistakes not covered by good Samaritan laws.
"

kc0iv
Old 01-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Board Regular

I have to agree with almost everyone here, doing the right thing is ALWAYS worth the time.

I got lucky in the accident I had back in December, although I was mad as heck at the time. The other driver who had hit me drove away, and I was by myself on the side of the road explaining it to the MD state police. They wrote it up as a hit and run, and it all worked out, but I thought for a minute....what if he had stopped and offered "his version" of the story....his word against my word....

with no witnesses, this could have worked out very, very bad for me, especially since I've only been driving for a few months, and this UPS driver has obviously been driving longer.....
Old 01-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

kcOiv
....what is your point? What is with all the red ink? Are you trying to scare someone from helping someone out for fear of liability, even prosecution?
Did you read the article you posted a link to? Did you comprehend what it said?

There are always types who will stand and watch someone in need and do nothing. There are others whose conscience will not permit that. There are also many vultures called lawyers who will seek to profit, at any length. They have construed many laws to make that possible.

You decide what kind of a person you need to be. You are the one who has to look at yourself in the mirror.

You know... I am reminded of a Scripture in the Bible, I can't quote it, but it says how the hearts of man in the end times will become cold. It describes how people will even step over a dying man on the street.

Sadly, I must admit, I would even help a lawyer, if they were in any need.
But if I know that person is a lawyer, I will certainly make sure I have their consent to help them. :lol:

Old 01-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trukrswyfe
Most of us have been in a situation where the helpful and needful act of a stranger made the difference for us. That is why we see the significance in lending a hand.

Mack sorry but you are young but one day you'll see the personal benefit to helping out a complete stranger regardless of your hurry. When you sit on the side of the highway watching someone take their lasts breaths and being thankful you could do that for another human being. Then going to that person's family and giving those priceless words they wouldn't have heard. You will be changed to your core and be glad of it.

Life is priceless, true story: I have fished my son out of pool, he was four, and it haunted me for almost a year the site of my son blue, lifeless, eyes wide open. Thank God for people who stay and help and don't run away. This isn't a slam I don't care to change your mind, but remember my words because you will change your mind.

TW
TW,

I'm so thankful that your son was being watched over. The loss of a child, or the immediate danger of losing a child is one cross that I've never had to bear. I constantly pray that I never have to. Quite honestly, the strength needed to bear that cross is strength that I do not possess.

Peace & Blessings.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
kcOiv
....what is your point? What is with all the red ink? Are you trying to scare someone from helping someone out for fear of liability, even prosecution?
Did you read the article you posted a link to? Did you comprehend what it said?

There are always types who will stand and watch someone in need and do nothing. There are others whose conscience will not permit that. There are also many vultures called lawyers who will seek to profit, at any length. They have construed many laws to make that possible.

You decide what kind of a person you need to be. You are the one who has to look at yourself in the mirror.

You know... I am reminded of a Scripture in the Bible, I can't quote it, but it says how the hearts of man in the end times will become cold. It describes how people will even step over a dying man on the street.

Sadly, I must admit, I would even help a lawyer, if they were in any need.
But if I know that person is a lawyer, I will certainly make sure I have their consent to help them. :lol:
What my point? Very simply. Some states do not have a Samaritan laws or as the article said other ONLY protect medically trained rescuers. Try doing a Google search on "Samaritan laws." I did BEFORE I made the post in question.

You on the other hand made a blanket statement that the Samaritan law would protect someone who provided aid.

Now what I do? I'd perform ALL aid I know how to do and worry about any lawsuit latter.

As to the scriptures -- They can be found in Matt:24:5-24-51and Rev: 11:3-11:12. None of which speak of stepping "over a dying man on the street." However, to help you look at Luk 30-10:37.

kc0iv
Old 01-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Board Icon

kcOiv,
You have a comprehension problem.
Knock yourself out proving whatever point you must make.
I see your motivation is to find fault however you possibly can. :lol:

Thump that Bible all you feel you need to. Maybe you will find what you need, but you are not going to preach down to me.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:19 PM
Silly Goose
Senior Board Member

We usually get accidents after it rains because people think they can still do 80mph when it's pouring. I have stopped and helped people on the highway, even just to ask if they are okay. After they had passed me speeding and then hitting the barrier :roll: .

One day someone crossed the median and hit a lady. There was no one around yet, so I made the call to 911. The woman was shaken up and upset. I wouldn't move her from her car because she was badly hurt. She was also much bigger than me so moving her was impossible. Also had the baby in the car so I had to keep an eye on both. I was there until help arrived. Sometimes you just being there and being calm, even if the situation looks grave, is enough to comfort someone. They had to airlift her and I later learned she died.

And in turn, strangers have helped me when I needed it. So what goes around comes around, even if it is years later.