User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 02:22 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
keep truckin I dont like to get my self involed in BS like that. Next thing you know you might have to end up in court and deal with all that stuff.
I think maybe in a criminal case, your witness testimony might require that, but in civil cases, more likely a lawyer will just take your statement. At least, that is how it was handled in the cases I've been involved in.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:53 AM
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog
Quote:
keep truckin I dont like to get my self involed in BS like that. Next thing you know you might have to end up in court and deal with all that stuff.
I think maybe in a criminal case, your witness testimony might require that, but in civil cases, more likely a lawyer will just take your statement. At least, that is how it was handled in the cases I've been involved in.
Exactly... Preponderance of evidence Vs. reasonable doubt. Chances are the driver will plead out to a lesser sentence or fine. No worries man! Like I said good job.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:17 AM
Senior Board Member

yes we always stop and help if we can.
4 years ago i was at the pilot in newbough, ny. I84 ex 6. had left the dash cam running what i took a nap, when i woke up the cops were talking to the driver that was parked across from me. he had gone in to take a shower and when he came out someone had hit his truck and taken the hood off, NO ONE SAW A THING...! i checked my tape and had a good view of it as it happened drivers face, truck #, tag #, and trailer #, called the cop over and showed it to him then burned a copy to a dvd and gave it to him.

as to going to court i have always given my contact info and only one time have i had to talk to anyone later. and that was just a phone call statement of what happened. 3 cars played tag on the turnpikr and all 3 were at fault.

just remember what goes around comes around.........

i also want to say a big thank you to the 2 drivers that came forword on 1-6-08 when the wife was hit at the flying j in knoxville. if you see this thanks.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:56 AM
Senior Board Member

You all have my respect, the ones that stopped and helped anyway! I think drivers that Windwalker and Kips mentioned shouldn't even be truck drivers. I guess you can say one of my good qualities is helping anyone in need, I would just feel bad if I seen someone in trouble and didn't offer them any help. But at the same time it's a bad quality cause people could try to sue you or something! If I was those two drivers in the accidents, I honestly would of stopped, I know it'll hurt my record but atleast it wouldn't be a felony! Anyway my point is people should stand up and take responsibilities for their actions. But some people are not just man or woman enough to do so!!!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Quote:
So, what if it had been one of your loved one's in the car??
I can say a witness saved my rear. When I was in EMSin Las Vegas, I was driving my ambulance in the far right lane on the Strip going 40 mph. All of a sudden I see a taxi whip by on my left, cut me off with about 2 feet to spare and slam on his brakes. I didn't have enough time to even apply my brakes and slammed into the back of him. Well the cab driver gets out and says nothing until the police arrive. He goes on to tell the cops that he was making a right turn and a pedestrian was in the cross walk and stopped and I came along a rear ended him. BS!!! There was indeed someone in the crosswalk. But he thought he could cut me off and make the right turn without braking.

Luckily for me, there was a witness standing on the sidewalk who saw the whole thing and he stepped up and told the officer what really happened. The cop even told me that if the witness had not come forward then I would have been put at fault and cited. The cop then went over to the cab driver and ripped him a new one for lying and wrote him the ticket and placed him 100% at fault.

So if you witness something like this, stop and give the driver your info. Because you never know when it may happen to you.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Most of us have been in a situation where the helpful and needful act of a stranger made the difference for us. That is why we see the significance in lending a hand.

Mack sorry but you are young but one day you'll see the personal benefit to helping out a complete stranger regardless of your hurry. When you sit on the side of the highway watching someone take their lasts breaths and being thankful you could do that for another human being. Then going to that person's family and giving those priceless words they wouldn't have heard. You will be changed to your core and be glad of it.

Life is priceless, true story: I have fished my son out of pool, he was four, and it haunted me for almost a year the site of my son blue, lifeless, eyes wide open. Thank God for people who stay and help and don't run away.

This isn't a slam I don't care to change your mind, but remember my words because you will change your mind.

TW
Old 01-24-2008, 04:31 AM
Senior Board Member

TW said:
Quote:
Life is priceless, true story: I have fished my son out of pool, he was four, and it haunted me for almost a year the site of my son blue, lifeless, eyes wide open. Thank God for people who stay and help and don't run away.
WOW. That must have scared you to no end...Thank the Lord you had help.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:33 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L
I would just feel bad if I seen someone in trouble and didn't offer them any help. But at the same time it's a bad quality cause people could try to sue you or something!
Double L...

The Good Samaritan Law is there to protect you. It is unlikely you would be in any trouble for trying to help someone in distress, or responding in any way necessary as the situation calls for.

Good Samaritan laws (acts) in the United States and Canada are laws/acts protecting from blame those who choose to aid others who are injured or ill. They are intended to reduce bystanders' hesitation to assist, for fear of being sued or prosecuted for unintentional injury or wrongful death.

In my case, I am a licensed EMT. I am held to higher standards.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L
I would just feel bad if I seen someone in trouble and didn't offer them any help. But at the same time it's a bad quality cause people could try to sue you or something!
Double L...

The Good Samaritan Law is there to protect you. It is unlikely you would be in any trouble for trying to help someone in distress, or responding in any way necessary as the situation calls for.

Good Samaritan laws (acts) in the United States and Canada are laws/acts protecting from blame those who choose to aid others who are injured or ill. They are intended to reduce bystanders' hesitation to assist, for fear of being sued or prosecuted for unintentional injury or wrongful death.

In my case, I am a licensed EMT. I am held to higher standards.
I didn't know that! Thank you for the information Roadhog
Old 01-24-2008, 04:59 AM
Senior Board Member

you did the right thing...and should do it again...and again..

Yeah, I would have done so also-

I just hope you don't loose too many days Pay/Production getting called into court for a disposition or as a live witness at a trial.