LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Inmate:

For what it's worth, I'm not trying to "convict" you! Looks like someone allready DID that! :lol:

Your feelings are not that uncommon. Heck, I'm "guilty" of the same feelings at times. I just like to sometimes make "social commentary" to help us ALL retain our perspective.

There's an old saying that, "We teach BEST - what we MOST need to learn!" I am not without fault, and I am often "preaching" to myself as well as others!

Likewise, I know that people say things on here that they don't necessarily mean or believe. I'm guilty of THAT, too, at times! :shock:

I get mad at "stupid" drivers, too! But, I'm not HAPPY when they die.... and I don't believe YOU are, either!

Like someone once said, "It's JUST the Internet." None of us are probably the "cartoons" we use as avatars, or the SUM of all we say here.

I try to "respect" even those here who are diametrically opposed to my beliefs, but I don't mind getting into a mud fight now and then. I don't know you from Adam, so I'm NOT really "judging" you, regardless of how it sounds.

I've been known to apologize when I was wrong. But, THAT wasn't one. :lol: So, like I said.... take it for what it's worth. :wink:
Whoa
I never said "I was happy that he's dead" what I'm saying based on MY experience is that there is no reason I should have any pity on a driver or motorcyclist who dies out of an act of stupidity just because he shares the same profession or passion/hobby that I do. I've seen too much in my experience to give a flying hoot about people who die out of absolute stupidity. Now you can cite combat , but that is a totally seperate situation in the sense that this driver wasnt being shot at. This is someone who is supposed to be a professional and I defy anyone to tell me any reason why they shouldnt speed or wear a seatbelt.

As I've said before I have more pity for those that these idiots kill. Maybe those who are backing this dumbass up would like to be on hand for fatatlity accident involving innocent children? Ever had to clean up an accident scene where someone was decapitated because of the stupidity of someone else? I've had to respond to these messes cause by stupid people. So sorry if I dont give a rats behind about some BBR who couldnt even take the simplest of precautions.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577
I just want to say before I'm tried and convicted about "not caring" about this knuckledheaded accident. I drove tow trucks for 10 years and I saw all manner of carnage and death, caused by people who thought "they can handle the speed, or alcohol, or drugs. etc etc etc" I also saw alot of people that were killed who otherwise would have survived if they had worn a seatbelt.

So yes, I have no pity for anyone who gets killed in a way that could have easily been prevented, had they not been .........stupid.

I care more and have more pity for those that are killed due to the actions of some careless driver.

Whether the person is in the same profession as me, is totally irrelevent.
I agree 1000% I too have seen WAY TOO MUCH death due to people being impatient and stupid. There is no excuse in my book! Even when I was in the fire service we did the speed limit going to and from emergency scenes. As we used to tell "Probies" a dead rescuer rescues no one!
Old 07-11-2007, 01:41 AM

Hobo,
I can honestly say I agree with you 100% on a post now :shock: ....and the part about tuckin the kids in, well bullseye..... To the others.....Where in the article did it say he was driving too fast ?? I didnt read anything in that article that said anything about speed, how does one know that the load didnt shift, not from speed but from change of direction or bumps, or an animal or anything ,YOU DON'T. You dont know but it could have been anyone of us in that article.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarke1268
Hobo,
I can honestly say I agree with you 100% on a post now :shock: ....and the part about tuckin the kids in, well bullseye..... To the others.....Where in the article did it say he was driving too fast ?? I didnt read anything in that article that said anything about speed, how does one know that the load didnt shift, not from speed but from change of direction or bumps, or an animal or anything ,YOU DON'T. You dont know but it could have been anyone of us in that article.
CC......The article doesn't say that the Driver involved in this accident was traveling to fast. The picture of the accident scene however, screams it out.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...1&ID=307050024

Open up that link, and take note of just a couple of the indicators that I see, which relate to how fast this truck was moving.

1; The doors to the trailer, in realtion to the roof debris. The doors are to the left of and parallel to the roof. In addition, the roof and side walls are compacted, with no visability of either the floor of the van or the trailer axles.

I've been driving quite a while. It has been a long time since I have seen a trailer...especially a Van trailer, so completely destroyed. The last one I saw that bad, had left the road on US 50 west of Ely NV. That particular truck was a good 300 yards off the road, which in that stretch was fairly flat and level.

2; The Guardrail. While it is entirely possible that the guardrail damage had been done in a previous accident, the position of the trailer tells me No, as does the article. If you notice, the right side-wall of the trailer appears to be part of the roof. That alone is an indication of the momentum the unit had, going into that curve.

It is sad that the man died. However...there are just to many indicators in that picture alone, that say he was traveling to fast for road conditions.
Was he sleepy? That is entirely possible.
IF Mr. Sawley was running "Over Logged" all of that will be coming out in the wash during the course of the next few weeks. Ohio is one of those states, where trucking companies hate for bad things to happen. Ohio tends to be fairly thorough in investigating accidents like this, and you can be sure that Gray Wolf records have already been seized by the DOT back in Idaho.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Poor watermelons!
Old 07-11-2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarke1268
Hobo,
CC......The article doesn't say that the Driver involved in this accident was traveling to fast. The picture of the accident scene however, screams it out.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...1&ID=307050024

Open up that link, and take note of just a couple of the indicators that I see, which relate to how fast this truck was moving.

1; The doors to the trailer, in realtion to the roof debris. The doors are to the left of and parallel to the roof. In addition, the roof and side walls are compacted, with no visability of either the floor of the van or the trailer axles.

I've been driving quite a while. It has been a long time since I have seen a trailer...especially a Van trailer, so completely destroyed. The last one I saw that bad, had left the road on US 50 west of Ely NV. That particular truck was a good 300 yards off the road, which in that stretch was fairly flat and level.

2; The Guardrail. While it is entirely possible that the guardrail damage had been done in a previous accident, the position of the trailer tells me No, as does the article. If you notice, the right side-wall of the trailer appears to be part of the roof. That alone is an indication of the momentum the unit had, going into that curve.

It is sad that the man died. However...there are just to many indicators in that picture alone, that say he was traveling to fast for road conditions.
Was he sleepy? That is entirely possible.
IF Mr. Sawley was running "Over Logged" all of that will be coming out in the wash during the course of the next few weeks. Ohio is one of those states, where trucking companies hate for bad things to happen. Ohio tends to be fairly thorough in investigating accidents like this, and you can be sure that Gray Wolf records have already been seized by the DOT back in Idaho.
I wouldnt have posted if I hadnt looked at the article and read it and looked at the pic,(in zoom) so why you reposted and put another link to the same article :roll: . taken from the article...... quote " Police said he lost control, striking the guardrail and an overhead bridge support off the right side of the roadway. The tractor-trailer rolled onto its side." I guess hitting a concrete pillars not gonna stop that truck and trl on a dime and anything and everthing is gonna go flying. and there really aint as much holdin those tandems on there as ya think. but im no accident investigator either just think its sad when someone dies and other people say in so many words he had it comming. Btw a bus crash by my home a few year back hit a bridge pillar without turning over mind you and it looked like a bomb went off and acording to the eobr it said the last known speed at impact was around 45-48 mph
Old 07-11-2007, 03:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I wouldnt have posted if I hadnt looked at the article and read it and looked at the pic,(in zoom) so why you reposted and put another link to the same article Rolling Eyes . taken from the article...... quote " Police said he lost control, striking the guardrail and an overhead bridge support off the right side of the roadway. The tractor-trailer rolled onto its side." I guess hitting a concrete pillars not gonna stop that truck and trl on a dime and anything and everthing is gonna go flying. and there really aint as much holdin those tandems on there as ya think. but im no accident investigator either just think its sad when someone dies and other people say in so many words he had it comming. Btw a bus crash by my home a few year back hit a bridge pillar without turning over mind you and it looked like a bomb went off and acording to the eobr it said the last known speed at impact was around 45-48 mph
Well, I can tell you from nearly 15 yrs in the fire service and have worked MANY accidents involving T/T, That was a crash brought on by speed. But, lets pretend that it wasn't speed and he did just lose control of it. He is still at fault because he was not paying attention to his rig and therefore lost control. Just my 2 cents
Old 07-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Board Regular

Granted he wasn't wearing a seatbelt. It only takes a second to have your skull crushed for whatever reason. How does anyone really know what the facts were prior to impact?? He may have had a medical problem that contributed, like heart attack,stroke, seizure,fatigue,choking on food etc... Too many good people die on our highways. Whatever the reason, Truth is we will never really know. Was anybody in the cab with him?
Old 07-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurbski
Granted he wasn't wearing a seatbelt. It only takes a second to have your skull crushed for whatever reason. How does anyone really know what the facts were prior to impact?? He may have had a medical problem that contributed, like heart attack,stroke, seizure,fatigue,choking on food etc... Too many good people die on our highways. Whatever the reason, Truth is we will never really know. Was anybody in the cab with him?
Then again, he could have just been an idiot. I tend to go with the idiot theory. Not wearing a seatbelt is already a clear sign that if you have no regard for your life, you have no regard for anyone else's life either.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurbski
Kurb...This is an excellent point. If the driver did experience any type of Medical emergency in the moments leading up to this accident, then by now they know that. The only thing that an autopsy would not show, would be fatigue, which is something the driver could have and should have, controlled. The article didn't mention a co-driver/passenger.

Given the amount of damage that single picture show's, I doubt he would have survived if wearing the seatbelt. Maybe he would have.