User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
They were yakking at you for going 60?

I go 60 all the time, I've never had one guy comment negatively about me going 60. I've been driving for 4 years.
Everytime I run through Chi-town in a construction zone the speed limits are 45 i'm doing 45!!! I hear it all the time on the radio about doing the speed limit. I don't say nothing just wave and smile when they blow my doors off.

I'm not taking a chance with the new laser radar thingy they are starting this month. One mile over the speed limit and your getting a ticket in the mail. $375 for the 1st, $1000 there after.

Even in IN and OH on the turnpike, when theres a construction zone, some speed limits are 45, some are 55. There I will do 5 over and i'm still hearing drivers b#%$^n on the radio. It really get's old real quick!!!!

We are all professionals and should set a standard. The faster trucks go, 4-wheelers want to go faster and that's when accidents happen!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Senior Board Member

I live about 8 miles from that ramp. Unfortunately this kind of thing happens all too often. A few years back a tanker carrying animal fat took that ramp too fast and rolled over on top of a four wheeler killing two people. He walked away. His tanker ruptured spilling the fat on the road. They tried to scrub it off using Tide detergent donated by the nearby P&G plant but it didn't work. They ended up grinding off the top inch of concrete and resurfacing the road. Two million dollars. Driver's company got the bill.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 07-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Senior Board Member

What about the Watermelons!!!!! I had a tear in my eye when I heard that all those watermelons were damaged!!!
Old 07-10-2007, 12:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
I kinda agree with Fozzy. ALL ramps should be considered "dangerous" with the possibility of a rollover. If a "professional driver" doesn't have sense to slow down for 1/4 mile on a ramp, he needs to go back to school!

But, I am dismayed that anyone who CALLS himself a driver, could be so callous as to not CARE when a fellow driver dies in an accident. If you don't care about HIM, then you don't care about anyone but yourself, and I hope I am NEVER near you on the road!

If drivers would CARE a bit more about others doing the same thing, the roads would be alot safer and friendlier! There is no proof that this driver would have survived if he was wearing his seatbelt.

It was a stupid and tragic accident in which a man my own age DIED! He may have had children who will live without him now. Let's have a little RESPECT for the dead driver here!

Anyone who "finds it hard to pity" this dead driver, is exhibiting "antisocial behaviour" and needs to get off the road! You disgrace the profession AND the human race!

If you HAVE kids, the next time you tuck them in at night, I hope they laugh at you and say, "Daddy, if you DIE due to a lack of judgement, I'll say you DESERVED it! And I won't miss you ONE little bit!"
Oh PULEEESE!!! Respect my ear (or your choice)! All I have heard for the entirety of my career is how great these BBR are and how we "lesser" slower driver need to "stay on the porch" and all that crap. It's not that I dont care that someone is or isn't dead. I had about as much control over this driver as all the others who I preach to on almost a daily basis about slowing down and living longer. I'm reminded of some idiot who wants to pet the cute cuddly polar bears at the zoo.... I have the same feeling about them.. you get what you friggen pay for! Then again, i'm just in a crummy mood.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
I kinda agree with Fozzy. ALL ramps should be considered "dangerous" with the possibility of a rollover. If a "professional driver" doesn't have sense to slow down for 1/4 mile on a ramp, he needs to go back to school!

But, I am dismayed that anyone who CALLS himself a driver, could be so callous as to not CARE when a fellow driver dies in an accident. If you don't care about HIM, then you don't care about anyone but yourself, and I hope I am NEVER near you on the road! Wrong, I dont care about anyone who dies by blatant stupidity. The sooner they are off the planet the safer it is for those of use who have the common sense to wear a seatbelt and not speed.

If drivers would CARE a bit more about others doing the same thing, the roads would be alot safer and friendlier! There is no proof that this driver would have survived if he was wearing his seatbelt. His chances were better he would have survived. But apparently the DEAD BBR thought he could cheat death. Oh well...his loss....BFD.

It was a stupid and tragic accident in which a man my own age DIED! He may have had children who will live without him now. Let's have a little RESPECT for the dead driver here! Lets respect stupid people? I guess we have to start respecting those who die from binge drinking and drunk drivers too???

Anyone who "finds it hard to pity" this dead driver, is exhibiting "antisocial behaviour" and needs to get off the road! You disgrace the profession AND the human race! I save my pity for those who deserve it. But tell me why some speeding BBR who thought he could cheat death deserves any pity?

If you HAVE kids, the next time you tuck them in at night, I hope they laugh at you and say, "Daddy, if you DIE due to a lack of judgement, I'll say you DESERVED it! And I won't miss you ONE little bit!"
Why? They'll say that anyway when they become teenagers.
Maybe you would like be a criminal defendant????
Old 07-10-2007, 02:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
They were yakking at you for going 60?

I go 60 all the time, I've never had one guy comment negatively about me going 60. I've been driving for 4 years.
Young Lad..my point here is, That to many Drivers speed, and while they are speeding, they are failing to pay attention to the simplest of things. If you have never had some of these BBR's cursing you on the CB, especially when they get trapped behind you, and you do not speed up, nor move to the shoulder of the road, to allow them to pass....You indeed are lucky.

When I say they are "Yakking on the cell" I do not mean they are yakking at me.

To many times I see driver's leaned over against the drivers door, with their cell phone clamped to their EAR, maybe a cigarette hanging in their other hand. I also see drivers that have their TV's sitting on the jumpseat, with a video playing, I see drivers with their Qualcomm keyboard, on the steering wheel, typing on it while they are moving at speed, and see the same sort of driver's, that have their Laptops open, and are doing whatever on them. Tell me....how can anyone doing such thing's, possibly consider themselves to be driving safely?

It's to bad that the driver in the news story which started this thread died. I for one, cannot change that fact. However there are PLENTY of New Drivers, whom are reading this board, whom can and should take a close and hard look at how THEY handle themselves. There are also PLENTY of Experienced Drivers whom read these threads, whom should also take that HARD look.

I'm not a perfect driver by any means. I take liberty with posted speed limits, just as many do. I only push the limit by 5 mph on Freeways, which I was doing the other evening on I-71. However I do not push speed limits on city streets or 2-lane roads. Especially streets and roads, which I am unfamiliar with. In most situations like that...I'm that dummy you see, that is creeping along like he is lost, and can't find where he needs to be.
In Ohio the speed limit for trucks is 55MPH, while the speed limit for 4-wheelers is 65MPH. I choose to travel at 60, simply due to the fact that most of the 4-wheelers and a majority of the trucks, were hooking along at 70mph +. What I try to do, is limit the rate of closure between my truck and the traffic that I know is flying up behind me. What I cannot do is prevent traffic from getting trapped behind me, when that traffic is failing to pay attention to their driving and to traffic conditions ahead of them.

So yes Allan...I was cursed out on the CB, for dragging my slow a$$ down the road, and not speeding up. I seriously doubt that those whom were cursing me NOTICED OR CARED that I was dragging a tank, that was plaqcarded for Poison & Flammability. I have been doing the HAZMAT deal for enough years (28+) that I do not get intimidated by others. I do not speed up to appease others, nor do I drive on to the shoulder of the road, so the travel lane can clear. Especially on a multi-lane highway. I have no desire to try and explain why my unit is laying in a ditch.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Senior Board Member

I just want to say before I'm tried and convicted about "not caring" about this knuckledheaded accident. I drove tow trucks for 10 years and I saw all manner of carnage and death, caused by people who thought "they can handle the speed, or alcohol, or drugs. etc etc etc" I also saw alot of people that were killed who otherwise would have survived if they had worn a seatbelt.

So yes, I have no pity for anyone who gets killed in a way that could have easily been prevented, had they not been .........stupid.

I care more and have more pity for those that are killed due to the actions of some careless driver.

Whether the person is in the same profession as me, is totally irrelevent.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Board Regular

I agree with Inmate. I have a friend who was involved in a head on about 6 yrs ago. The other driver crossed the center line on a two lane highway and created the collision. My friend was wearing his seatbelt and survived with a broken leg, a couple of ribs and he bit through his bottom lip. The other driver was not wearing his seatbelt and went through the windshield and ended up about 150 yards from his vehicle. The other drivers family was as expected very distraught, to the point of telling my friend that he should be dead also. The point being that accidents happen all the time for whatever reasons, but it is hard to feel sorry for someone who does not take the precautions that are available to protect themselves. Who knows, the other driver may not have survived but he would have had a lot better chance it half his skull had not been torn off by the windshield.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
I am dismayed that anyone who CALLS himself a driver, could be so callous as to not CARE when a fellow driver dies in an accident. If you don't care about HIM, then you don't care about anyone but yourself, and I hope I am NEVER near you on the road!

Wrong, I dont care about anyone who dies by blatant stupidity. The sooner they are off the planet the safer it is for those of use who have the common sense to wear a seatbelt and not speed.
There are alot of stupid people on the planet, even quite a few wearing a U.S. Military uniform. They stick their heads up when they shouldn't and bang! They're dead! I guess we're better off without them on the planet?

Quote:
If drivers would CARE a bit more about others doing the same thing, the roads would be alot safer and friendlier! There is no proof that this driver would have survived if he was wearing his seatbelt.

His chances were better he would have survived. But apparently the DEAD BBR thought he could cheat death. Oh well...his loss....BFD.
Oh, you KNEW the guy? How ELSE could you be so SURE he was a BBR? At 49 yrs old, he may have 30 years of experience and all you know is that he took this one ramp too fast, and wasn't wearing his seatbelt.

Quote:
It was a stupid and tragic accident in which a man my own age DIED! He may have had children who will live without him now. Let's have a little RESPECT for the dead driver here!

Lets respect stupid people? I guess we have to start respecting those who die from binge drinking and drunk drivers too???
NO.... of COURSE not! And while we're AT it.... let's not respect those 6 foolish highschool girls that died in that fiery crash last week in NY!! What could THEY ever have contributed to YOUR life or anyone else's??

Quote:
Anyone who "finds it hard to pity" this dead driver, is exhibiting "antisocial behaviour" and needs to get off the road! You disgrace the profession AND the human race!

I save my pity for those who deserve it. But tell me why some speeding BBR who thought he could cheat death deserves any pity?
Oh, I don't know.... maybe he once pulled a family from a sinking car? Maybe, he was a Vet and saved 6 of his buddies in the war? Who knows? Even IF he was nothing more than you say, he surely had SOME redeeming qualities. Who appointed YOU the judge and jury?

Quote:

Why? They'll say that anyway when they become teenagers.

Maybe, but they'll just be being "stupid." Oh well, a couple MORE people we needn't respect!

Quote:
Maybe you would like be a criminal defendant????
NO, I would be "like" trying to be a little less judgemental as I grow older and mature.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Board Icon

Inmate:

For what it's worth, I'm not trying to "convict" you! Looks like someone allready DID that! :lol:

Your feelings are not that uncommon. Heck, I'm "guilty" of the same feelings at times. I just like to sometimes make "social commentary" to help us ALL retain our perspective.

There's an old saying that, "We teach BEST - what we MOST need to learn!" I am not without fault, and I am often "preaching" to myself as well as others!

Likewise, I know that people say things on here that they don't necessarily mean or believe. I'm guilty of THAT, too, at times! :shock:

I get mad at "stupid" drivers, too! But, I'm not HAPPY when they die.... and I don't believe YOU are, either!

Like someone once said, "It's JUST the Internet." None of us are probably the "cartoons" we use as avatars, or the SUM of all we say here.

I try to "respect" even those here who are diametrically opposed to my beliefs, but I don't mind getting into a mud fight now and then. I don't know you from Adam, so I'm NOT really "judging" you, regardless of how it sounds.

I've been known to apologize when I was wrong. But, THAT wasn't one. :lol: So, like I said.... take it for what it's worth. :wink:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.