User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2007, 07:41 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Need routing advice from Chattanooga, TN to Murphy, NC

I was just wandering if some of you might live in the area. The MCA shows hwy 64 to be truck route except for 25-30 miles between Chattanooga and the NC border. Is there low weight bridges in this area or just steep and crooked? I pulled it up on mapquest and I can see that the road has a lot of twists and turns around that lake (can't remember the name of it).

I'll be dragging a flatbed over there tomorrow afternoon/night. Should I drop on down to Dalton, GA and run 76 to 60? If I remember correctly, 60 is not a truck route either?

Thanks for any advice any of you might have!

Arky
Old 06-23-2007, 08:24 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Need routing advice from Chattanooga, TN to Murphy, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky
I was just wandering if some of you might live in the area. The MCA shows hwy 64 to be truck route except for 25-30 miles between Chattanooga and the NC border. Is there low weight bridges in this area or just steep and crooked? I pulled it up on mapquest and I can see that the road has a lot of twists and turns around that lake (can't remember the name of it).

I'll be dragging a flatbed over there tomorrow afternoon/night. Should I drop on down to Dalton, GA and run 76 to 60? If I remember correctly, 60 is not a truck route either?

Thanks for any advice any of you might have!

Arky

I travel that way regularly, I live close to it, there are no bridges and it's not steep BUT Very crooked. you need to have your cb on and announce before you go around the curves, the 25 mph curves are very hard to pass on and the 15 mph curve is impossible to pass, the rule is whoever hollers first tells their direction and which curve they are coming up on and the truck going the other way stops and waits, some truckers stupidly dont use the cb on this road and then you have the rafting busses and motorhomes. just be sure especially around the 15 that you can stop if you meet someone. also the 25s are sharper than they look, many trucks have ended up in the river..its the best way to go from chattanoog ato murphy, just be very careful and try to get behind another truck, who is familiar with the road, he will help you out on the cb. also it's really beautiful through there, so dont get distracted, watch where you're going or you will end up swimming. feel free to pm me if I can help you
Old 06-23-2007, 10:45 PM
Board Regular

Thanks Fredog, that's what I was looking for. With this being in the area that it's in, I didn't wanna take a chance on it without some advice.

The tight curves shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you hear 20 drivers cussing out the Maverick truck for driving half the posted speed limit...yep, that'll be me

Thanks again,

Arky
Old 06-23-2007, 10:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky
Thanks Fredog, that's what I was looking for. With this being in the area that it's in, I didn't wanna take a chance on it without some advice.

The tight curves shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you hear 20 drivers cussing out the Maverick truck for driving half the posted speed limit...yep, that'll be me

Thanks again,

Arky
the only ones going fast will be the log trucks, anyway, if you are going through on the weekend, there will be lots of rafters, they walk in the road and park everywhere, so just take your time and be careful. where are you going in Murphy?
Old 06-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Board Regular

wow...you just had to ask that one didn't ya?

I've got a load of gypsum board (sheetrock). My load book is out in the truck and I can't remember the name of the consignee. I'll be out there a little later, I'll try to remember to look.

It should be probably 8-10 pm before I'm that part of the world, so the weekenders should be passed out and sleeping it off by then ...LOL.

I don't guess there is a chance in heck of Murphy having a truck stop? LOL

Later,

Arky
Old 06-24-2007, 12:11 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Arky, there are a couple of curves in particular which needs special care. That section of hwy 64 is not for the faint of heart. It is a very beautiful part of the Smokies. I have been through that stretch of road with a 53' trailer, once with the tandems all the way back. It was interesting. That lake you are thinking of is part of the Ocoee River. That is where part of the Olympics were held a few years ago. You can make it through, many do. Just be very careful and give yourself plenty of room around the curves. It is still the most direct route from Chattanooga to Murphy. One other note. Once you start into the Smokies, you are committed. There is no place for you to pull over or turn around. Good luck. At night, you can see the lights from oncoming cars which may make it somewhat easier traveling.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:13 AM

Sorry to butt in on this... but does this road have a paper mill on it? I was on a road like this I believe in this area just askin
Old 06-24-2007, 01:18 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think there is a paper mill east of Murphy before getting into Ashville, NC.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:25 AM

It might be the road then, I had my wife with me it was about five years ago so hard to remember I do remember saying I'd hate to meet a truck on one of these curves and sure enough, there he was. We were going pretty slow all was good , she went to the sleeper saying when the road quits curvin I'll come back up there :lol:
Old 06-24-2007, 01:43 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Once you get to Murphy, the road straightens out and is wider. There used to be some apple farms along that stretch of highway East of Murphy. It is a beautiful drive.