User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2007, 01:55 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky
wow...you just had to ask that one didn't ya?

I've got a load of gypsum board (sheetrock). My load book is out in the truck and I can't remember the name of the consignee. I'll be out there a little later, I'll try to remember to look.

It should be probably 8-10 pm before I'm that part of the world, so the weekenders should be passed out and sleeping it off by then ...LOL.

I don't guess there is a chance in heck of Murphy having a truck stop? LOL

Later,

Arky

there are a few pull overs on the river road if you need them. there are no truckstops, but at the first light in NC, there is grizzly bear store on the left. there is a dirt lot next to it with room to park. I would guess that maybe you are going to Ace Hardware? if so, its on the left not too far after the grizzly bear
Old 06-24-2007, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Arky, there are a couple of curves in particular which needs special care. That section of hwy 64 is not for the faint of heart. It is a very beautiful part of the Smokies. I have been through that stretch of road with a 53' trailer, once with the tandems all the way back. It was interesting. That lake you are thinking of is part of the Ocoee River. That is where part of the Olympics were held a few years ago. You can make it through, many do. Just be very careful and give yourself plenty of room around the curves. It is still the most direct route from Chattanooga to Murphy. One other note. Once you start into the Smokies, you are committed. There is no place for you to pull over or turn around. Good luck. At night, you can see the lights from oncoming cars which may make it somewhat easier traveling.
the road is restricted against 53 footers but it's not enforced,. one of our drivers hit a 6 wheeler on the 15 mph curve, there were 2 witnesses that said the 6 wheeler was speeding and on the wrong side, cop said, sorry, I cant help you, you arent supposed to be on here with a 53 footer, driver told him our yard is in Blue Ridge and that is the shortest way to go, cop said he understood and they dont enforce it, but it is restricted, we confirmed it by checking the atlas, so you can run it with a 53 but be extra careful
Old 06-24-2007, 02:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarke1268
Sorry to butt in on this... but does this road have a paper mill on it? I was on a road like this I believe in this area just askin
the paper mill is in Canton N.C you probably went through Nantahala forest on 74, another beautiful mountain river road. of course if you go the road we are talking about and just keep trucking east, you would get to experience both roads
Old 06-24-2007, 02:10 AM
Senior Board Member
Default keep your eye on the road

these are some of the views you will have, try to keep your eyes on the road

Old 06-24-2007, 04:34 AM
Board Regular

Hey, thanks alot guys!

I pm'd the name of the reciever to ya Fredog and Gman. I don't see why it would matter, but Maverick might not want me putting the name on the board.

I haven't decided yet whether I'll try to go on to Murphy tomorrow night or stay somewhere around Chattanooga, then go over early Mon morning. I like the idea of getting through the curves at night when i can see the oncoming headlights. But then again, if I wait till Mon., i would stand a better chance of following a local truck through there.

I've been on some pretty crooked roads since I started driving, so maybe I won't be too nervous. Most of the time, it seems like there is 8-9 % grade associated with them too. That was the first thing that went through my mind when I zoomed the route up on mapquest..lol.

That is definitely some beautiful scenery there fredog. I'll just have to remind myself that my rig does not float...in air or water! LOL

All bets are off if I see a pack of bikinis

Arky
Old 06-24-2007, 06:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Oh snap.

I've run that road once. Coming from eastern GA. But I don't recall all the particulars, other than it was raining and the road was narrow once I was in TN.

From I-85, I think I took State 11 in SC, up to State 76, then onto State 64. What a horrible decision. :P

That had to be it. Nothing else looks reasonable.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:32 AM
Board Regular

You should have seen the look on my face when I finally found Murphy on the map and the stretch of non STAA road. I wasn't thinking good thoughts! LOL

I've learned to like the trip through the gorge on I-40 and down into the carolina's. It's these little side roads that I've learned to watch out for.

It's all in a days work I suppose. If the roads were all straight and flat I'd have to drink a gallon of coffee a day!

I'm gonna take along some scuba gear just in case! :shock:
Old 06-24-2007, 10:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky
You should have seen the look on my face when I finally found Murphy on the map and the stretch of non STAA road. I wasn't thinking good thoughts! LOL

I've learned to like the trip through the gorge on I-40 and down into the carolina's. It's these little side roads that I've learned to watch out for.

It's all in a days work I suppose. If the roads were all straight and flat I'd have to drink a gallon of coffee a day!

I'm gonna take along some scuba gear just in case! :shock:

I just pm-d you some directions.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
Oh snap.

I've run that road once. Coming from eastern GA. But I don't recall all the particulars, other than it was raining and the road was narrow once I was in TN.

From I-85, I think I took State 11 in SC, up to State 76, then onto State 64. What a horrible decision. :P

That had to be it. Nothing else looks reasonable.
that is on the other end of where we are talking about, its become routine to me, but I remember the first time. thinking oh S+++ dont know how long since you ran it but in the last year they straightened the worst curves and its a lot better, still not for the faint of heart though, where our yard is located, thats really the only choice we have except to go through Atlanta and I would rather tackle the steepest mountain than go through there.

this is the road you were on
Old 06-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Sorry for the Hi-Jack here but this is a VERY special place to me. You see, I met my wife on a rafting trip on the Nantahala River in 1986 and our first date ( one week later ) was a rafting trip down the Ocoee. We have been together 21 years now. Actually it was 21 years on June 13th. I still remember the day I first saw and met her.

Enjoy your trip thru. I sure did. :wink:

Ridge