Old 06-21-2007, 11:19 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanhamm
I'll admit the only way I will cheat, is using a calculator. as an example, If I drove 120 miles and it took me 2 and a half hours actually driving it, I will divide the 120 by 62 and log it as 2 hours. It gives you an extra hour or so to drive.
This is, of course, "speed averaging" and IS a form of cheating. However, it allows you to get more miles, and therefore pay, in a day. If it does NOT allow you to drive past the 14 hour limit, I see no reason why the fmcsa or DOT should object. After all.... the purpose of the new HOS rules is to make sure you are not behind the wheel after "working" for more than 14 hours. Of course, there is that pesky 11 hour rule, but I believe you probably took some breaks in there, right? Since they no longer allow us to "extend" our day to compensate for breaks, it is reasonable that we should be allowed to "work" (our work is driving) for as many hours as we feel safe to do within that 14 hour "window."

Of course, this is just my opinion, and is not refelcted in the rules.
FMCSA and D.O.T. says it is a big NO NO.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...ction_toc=1942
Quote:
(c) For each change of duty status (e.g., the place of reporting for work, starting to drive, on duty not driving and where released from work), the name of the city, town or village, with State abbreviation, shall be recorded.

(f)(1) Entries to be current. Drivers shall keep their record of duty status current to the time shown for the last change of duty status.

(h)(3) Driving. A continuous line shall be drawn between the appropriate time markers to record the period(s) of driving time as defined in §395.2.
Quote:

Driving time means all time spent at the driving controls of a commercial motor vehicle in operation.
kc0iv
Old 06-21-2007, 11:32 PM
Senior Board Member

I og it 100% by the book. There is NO exception!
Old 06-22-2007, 03:06 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanhamm
I'll admit the only way I will cheat, is using a calculator. as an example, If I drove 120 miles and it took me 2 and a half hours actually driving it, I will divide the 120 by 62 and log it as 2 hours. It gives you an extra hour or so to drive.
This is, of course, "speed averaging" and IS a form of cheating. However, it allows you to get more miles, and therefore pay, in a day. If it does NOT allow you to drive past the 14 hour limit, I see no reason why the fmcsa or DOT should object. After all.... the purpose of the new HOS rules is to make sure you are not behind the wheel after "working" for more than 14 hours. Of course, there is that pesky 11 hour rule, but I believe you probably took some breaks in there, right? Since they no longer allow us to "extend" our day to compensate for breaks, it is reasonable that we should be allowed to "work" (our work is driving) for as many hours as we feel safe to do within that 14 hour "window."

Of course, this is just my opinion, and is not refelcted in the rules.
FMCSA and D.O.T. says it is a big NO NO.

OOOOOHHHhhh! NOW I'm "skeert!" :lol:

Quote:
(c) For each change of duty status (e.g., the place of reporting for work, starting to drive, on duty not driving and where released from work), the name of the city, town or village, with State abbreviation, shall be recorded.

Meaning WHAT?? I say I stopped at the T/A at mm 277 in N.M ( Santa Rosa) for a 30 minute break. Can you prove I DIDN'T??? This makes up for the time lost on the hills, and now I'm showing I'm at Amarillo at such a time, and I averaged 5 mph below the speed limit to get there!

I still have X number of hours to drive. If I need an hour or less MORE, I'll say I stopped in Amarillor for 45 minutes. Can you prove I DIDN'T??

(f)(1) Entries to be current. Drivers shall keep their record of duty status current to the time shown for the last change of duty status.

I stopped just outside of Amarillo, and "caught up" my logbook so that it is current to the minute I am driving at NOW. But, I showed 2 breaks I might not have taken. Can you prove I didn't?? Since, I am HERE, now, and my book is current, and my times are within the speed limit, can you say I can't drive X more hours?

(h)(3) Driving. A continuous line shall be drawn between the appropriate time markers to record the period(s) of driving time as defined in §395.2.
I KNOW how to draw a straight line. I drew it from the time I SAID I left Santa Rosa to the time I SAID I got to Amarillo! Anything that happened BEFORE now, is "lost" to the DOT, and they have to trust me (for now.)

If I hit some "headwinds" and it takes me 30 mins more to get to O.K. City, I'll SAY I took a 30 min break at the Flying J at exit 20! Were YOU there to check on me?

I'll finish my 600 miles or more for the "day," and shutdown or "switch" drivers at whatever truckstop I intended it to be, and I don't care HOW LONG it took me to get there, as long as I'm not driving past 14 hours of "diriving window."

I WON'T fudge my logs to let me drive past 14 hours, OR to drive sleepy, OR to drive more than I SHOULD have been able to drive in that one day! But, I'll make my logs show that I got where I intended to, within the "regulated" time, if "speed averaging" and break times says I could have DONE so! I won't pull off the road and spend the night on an off ramp (with no food in the cooler, and no toilet paper) just because some WONK in D.C., who's NEVER driven a truck, tells me I HAVE to!

For the record, I don't drive no 60 mph truck! I USED to could do 80, NOW I can do 75. So, if the speed limit is 70-75, and my load drags me down to 65, I'll STILL get 650 miles in a 10 hour period, WITH a "safety break" or two, and I'll SAY I got there in 10 hours if I WANT to say so!

I'll SHOW all the necessary breaks, and "change of duty" statuses that you seem to think are so important, and I'll get my JOB done! I'll match my fueling times or whatever else is necessary, if I NEED to. But, I'll save time against my 70 hour rule, JUST in case I need it when I get home! (they may want me to make an east coast delivery.... after a 10 hour break!)

Quote:

Driving time means all time spent at the driving controls of a commercial motor vehicle in operation.
If I'm sitting at the controls, smoking cigs and listening to rock and roll, and the vehicle is at the dock, I am legally required to log it on line 3 (or at least 4.) NOT gonna HAPPEN!

I "intepret" the rules to allow me to DRIVE for 11 hours a day. Depending on the speed of my truck, I'm gonna DRIVE for those 11 hours, IF I want to... and within the 14 hour window! If I need another 15 minutes to get to my destination (stll within 14 hours) I'm gonna FIND 'em! YOU can stop on the side of the road if you want (and statistics will show that the probability of an "orphaned" PEE BOMB is one of YOURS) But.... you won't find ME there! :lol:

I really wish MORE emphasis was placed on "competency" and cellphone use, than on TIME! But, alas.... this is the governemt we're talking about, and they are the LAST to "get it!"

And YOU seem to be "right behind them."

Just my opinion! :lol:

kc0iv

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:46 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman932003
I og it 100% by the book. There is NO exception!
Really? Say you pulled into a shipper after closing and went to your sleeper. you have to unload and load there. you have to be there to count pallets unloading and unloading. You mean to say you wouldn't fudge a little on the log books as still in the sleeper, because there was a glitch in loading that took an extra 4 hours, and move your on duty time back a little. Just to make sure you could leave in time and make your miles for the day?
Old 06-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

You mean to tell me...yoose guys never understood why they taught you "coloring" in school?

Cripe sake...that was one of the first lessons you were taught in school, to prepare you for life. :shock: :roll:

Color within the lines, but you don't need to use one color.
You can even mix colors and come up with a whole new color.

Long as it looks good...yer gonna pass.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
And YOU seem to be "right behind them."

Just my opinion! :lol: [/b]
golfhobo,

You said "I see no reason why the fmcsa or DOT should object." To which I showed you my reasoning on why I feel the FMCSA and/or the D.O.T. would object. Nothing more nothing less.

I said nothing about how I felt about the rule(s) or how a person can "fudge" the logbook to make it fit. So your statement: "And YOU seem to be "right behind them." is totally uncalled for.

I can assure you I have forget more than you know about how to get around "fudging" logbooks. You just haven't driven long enough to know all the "tricks." As an example if "you" haven't figured out how to get around the "14 hour rule" "you" still have a few things to learn.

The last truck I owned was a triple digit truck that had no problem pulling a full load at 100 plus. In fact I have never driven a truck that wouldn't do over 100. Some pulled better than others but all would do over 90 pulling a full load.

How "you" interpret the rules is your business. I could care less. It don't affect me one way or the other. And I sure don't worry about logging since I'm now retired.

kc0iv
Old 06-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Senior Board Member

I bet there is enough here that play in the gray area on their taxes, but oh no, don’t do it on their logs, I’m a GOOD BOY I don’t have to do that. What a bunch of crap.....lol To the new drivers, don’t do this, your not making any money while you are new so don’t chance it! When you know your as$ from a hole in the ground, then you can let your creative side out to make the system work for YOU!!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Well said SSoutlaw!
Old 06-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
Well said SSoutlaw!
Give it a couple hrs, and someone will tell me Im wrong....lol
Old 06-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
Well said SSoutlaw!
Give it a couple hrs, and someone will tell me Im wrong....lol

:P pfffbbbblltt....great minds think alike...look at my post on page 1. :roll: :?