User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default help with speed trap

i am a fairly new driver about nine months under my belt

i got caught in a speed trap leaving adair county in ok the other day

when leaving the town on 69 n there are three progressively increasing spead signs 45/55/65 in between the 45 and 55 i started to accellerate to reach spead and about 10 or 20 ft before the 55mph sign the "nice" leo tagged me at 58 he caught me about a mile out of town and pulled me over

now the ticket kinda low in my opinion was only 120 dollars but like a good mafia member he was nice enough to let me know that for an extra 50 bucks i can defer the ticket and if they don't tag me again for 30 days the ticket goes away and does not go on my record

now i do belong to one of those legal plans for drivers but considering the price of the ticket is it even worth fighting ....and has anyone ever used one of adair or ok deferments do they actually honor them

ps i want to start a boycot of ok whenever possible i will no longer spend money or visit the state in my personal vehicle ...granted i am still a little angry in 12 years of driving this is my first ticket ...but i was craving pasta after the leo left
Old 06-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Which means you were clocked at 58 in a 45... I'd pay the tickets and count your blessings. You weren't trapped and the "mafia" sure wasn't involved
Old 06-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Pay the extra $50 also.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Rookie

You said 10-20 feet before the sign, not sure about ok, but here in Georgia the speed limit begins when you can see the sign, not after you pass it.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Default signs

i questioned the leo about that ok/city of adair states that the speed zone is when you pass the sign
i didnt think to ask .. is that when the tractor passes the sing or does the back of the trailer have to pass the sign?

from what i read online adair gets 97.5 percent of their revenue from speeding tickets...

interesting a town with 300 peeps has six leos.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Here is another handy bit of information about decreasing speed zones in GEORGIA. If your going from say 55 to 45 or 45 to 35..... They can NOT start clocking you within 300 feet of the lower speed limit sign. City or county can only charge you for MORE than 10 mph over the limit. Oh, they can write it but you can beat it like a rented mule, but it is up to you to contest it to the judge. Granted, most LEO's know better than to try to write for less than 11 mph over but they will take liberty with the 300 foot rule. That one is a lot harder for you to prove in court. Please keep in mind that I am refering to CITY and COUNTY here. GSP ( full growns to you and me ) can write you for 1 mph over if they so choose. I don't know any who have, but they must not have met some of the posters ( won't mention any names :wink: ) on the board YET! :P
Old 06-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Here is another handy bit of information about decreasing speed zones in GEORGIA. If your going from say 55 to 45 or 45 to 35..... They can NOT start clocking you within 300 feet of the lower speed limit sign. City or county can only charge you for MORE than 10 mph over the limit. Oh, they can write it but you can beat it like a rented mule, but it is up to you to contest it to the judge. Granted, most LEO's know better than to try to write for less than 11 mph over but they will take liberty with the 300 foot rule. That one is a lot harder for you to prove in court. Please keep in mind that I am refering to CITY and COUNTY here. GSP ( full growns to you and me ) can write you for 1 mph over if they so choose. I don't know any who have, but they must not have met some of the posters ( won't mention any names :wink: ) on the board YET! :P
you forgot to mention that DOT also can also write you for 1 mph over.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: help with speed trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdad7
i am a fairly new driver about nine months under my belt

i got caught in a speed trap leaving adair county in ok the other day

when leaving the town on 69 n there are three progressively increasing spead signs 45/55/65 in between the 45 and 55 i started to accellerate to reach spead and about 10 or 20 ft before the 55mph sign the "nice" leo tagged me at 58 he caught me about a mile out of town and pulled me over

now the ticket kinda low in my opinion was only 120 dollars but like a good mafia member he was nice enough to let me know that for an extra 50 bucks i can defer the ticket and if they don't tag me again for 30 days the ticket goes away and does not go on my record

now i do belong to one of those legal plans for drivers but considering the price of the ticket is it even worth fighting ....and has anyone ever used one of adair or ok deferments do they actually honor them

ps i want to start a boycot of ok whenever possible i will no longer spend money or visit the state in my personal vehicle ...granted i am still a little angry in 12 years of driving this is my first ticket ...but i was craving pasta after the leo left
Now you know why Oklahoma is one big speed trap like Ohio.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Board Regular

Here in Arizona, when going from a 35 to a 45 (or whatever) zone.....the new speed limit starts AT the sign. Your not supposed to be allowed any buildup space before the higher limit starts. Same when coming into a slower zone.....you want to be doing that speed before you hit the sign

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 06-30-2007, 06:25 PM
Default moot point

just a thought but maybe all trafic laws should be somewhat uniform between states ....counties ....cities etc to minimize "misunderstanding" but that might hurt revenue