User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Truck stop parking during home time?

What are the truck stop policies for parking and leaving the truck for a few days? I'm having a heck of a time finding some place to park when home and was wondering if a truck stop would be an option. What do you guys think about this? Has anyone ever done this? How flexible are the folks at truck stops if someone wanted to do this? Thanks for the responses!
Old 05-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Truck stop parking during home time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJim
What are the truck stop policies for parking and leaving the truck for a few days? I'm having a heck of a time finding some place to park when home and was wondering if a truck stop would be an option. What do you guys think about this? Has anyone ever done this? How flexible are the folks at truck stops if someone wanted to do this? Thanks!

Jim

You can park for up to 2 weeks at most truckstops. I would just check on it periodically if you are gonna take more than a week off and if it is Ok with your company.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Rookie

I've got the same problem. I've asked at about 20 different places and they all look at me like look at me like I got a booger hangin' out my nose or something. One guy wanted to charge me 200 bucks a month to park in his lot out in the middle of nowhere! I didn't think a truck stop would let you park there like that. How safe would that actually be?Would there be any parts left on it when I came back to check on it or head out on my run? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Senior Board Member

If you are only going to be home for a few days, 2-3, then there should not be any problem as long as you park the tractor and trailer there.

If it is going to be more than a few days, or if you a thinking about dropping a trailer at the truck stop then be sure to talk to the manager first and get the OK.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:28 PM
Senior Board Member

We have switched to leaving my husbands truck at a truck stop anytime he's home. We had to do some calling around here before we found one that would allow an unattended tractor/trailor for more than 24 hours.
We figured after a broken into trailer, and 3 flat tires when he was leaving from hometime it was time for the truck to be somewhere else.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:45 PM

Jim, cant you find anywhere around there thats semi-deserted or vacant to park? Seems there would be an oddball street or something of that nature around there that is halfway secure. Isnt there some canning places that you could ask? Its been awhile I cant remember. The truck stop would be quite a drive for you.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:05 AM

I can't believe it, are you guys saying your fellow truck drivers are vandalizing and stealing off one another? And we wonder why people degrade us. Pretty bad when you can't trust your peers. Seriously though, I have pretty good luck parking out in the back forty of the local mall. I leave a note taped to the inside of my window with my contact info on it and just a simple, "If there is a problem please call xxxxxx".
Old 05-18-2007, 12:34 AM
Senior Board Member

A truckstop is the last place I would leave a truck. As many accidents as I have seen in them.... :evil: And don't think the guy that rips your hood off or caves in the side of the cab is going to leave you his name and address :evil: He'll just drive off....and you'll come back and find whats left of your truck.

Have you tried talking to any of the local trucking companies in your area? I did that where I live in FL....and they let me park there free of charge. I think they hoped I'd get tired of OTR and go to work for them. :lol: :lol: But it was a place to park.

You can find a place to park...just get creative and think outside of the box. Maybe an RV storage place or a company that ships/receives. :? I also did an RV storage place for a while....nice and fenced in and secure... $30 a month until Hurricane Charlie tore the place up.... :x How about a farmer?

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by madii'swife
We have switched to leaving my husbands truck at a truck stop anytime he's home. We had to do some calling around here before we found one that would allow an unattended tractor/trailor for more than 24 hours.
We figured after a broken into trailer, and 3 flat tires when he was leaving from hometime it was time for the truck to be somewhere else.
Yeah, our city has a stupid law about parking your truck at your house for more than 24 hours. You cant do that, but there are old junky cars that just sit, and rot in front of houses all over town. I like living here, but our city comes up with the dumbest ideas.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 05-19-2007, 02:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
Yeah, our city has a stupid law about parking your truck at your house for more than 24 hours. You cant do that,
TRANSLATION: Some hard working truck driver bought a nice house in a nice neighborhood, and had the audacity to park his filthy evil truck in front of his house, driving down all the property values for everyone, because no one wants anything to do with those evil, wretched, horrible, nasty things. The NERVE of that son of a bitch!

(On the other hand, one of my neighbors drives a dump truck, and his house is a total dump. Weeds up to the windows, bare dirt out front with a big dump truck parked in the yard. I need to take a picture of it for Jeff Foxworthy. It makes me a little nauseous to go by his skanky scuzz bucket of a place, but OTOH, it's none of my damn business either, and I like it that we DON'T have any stupid laws or stupid rules around here preventing a man from wallowing in filth if he wants to. He pays his taxes same as I do, and my place looks like a fricking emerald in comparison too.)