User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 04:18 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default GPS should i get one

im thinking about gettng a german c330 gps thinking it would make life easier not having to keep stoping to read a map whats everyone think
Old 05-04-2007, 06:05 AM
Board Regular

I received a GPS for Christmas. I had wanted one for some time but couldn't pull the trigger. Now that I have one, I wouldn't drive another mile without it. If mine broke I would stop somewhere the same day to buy another one. That little stinker has kept me out of trouble many times and has gotten me out of trouble when I thought I know better.

Between my GPS, Google Maps(satellite pics) and Microsoft Streets & Trips I can always find my destinations, no matter how bad the company supplied directions are.

Another great thing about the GPS is I no longer have to drive through every intersection at 10 MPH trying to read street signs when looking for an address. The name of each street is on the screen in front of me. I always know where my turn is.

[email protected]
Old 05-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have never owned a GPS. Personally, I think it would be a distraction having the screen mounted on my dash. On the other hand, there are quite a few who love them. I will stick with my map. I usually just call the shipper or receiver for directions, should I need them. From what I have read, you could get into trouble with an 18 wheeler using GPS. They may sometimes route you on roads you cannot travel.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

They are nice. Went through some heavy fog going over the Alleghany Mountains..and it helped a lot letting me know when the curves were coming up.

They are non-com based maps though. Sometime this summer...Seimens VDO is coming out with a commercial based mapping system, and it will be offered on the Cobra GPS stand alone. It will be much like the PC Miler...offering Truck specific routing.
You will enter your info into the program...like if you are a certain weight class, hazmat, length, etc. (press one for English) :evil: :roll:

PC Miler is now offered on Sprint phones...with commercial mapping.
I posted links to both these stories in another thread.

P.S. I like the Garmin units best too.
When Cobra comes out with the commercial mapping...maybe Garmin will get onboard quickly too.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Senior Board Member

If you use the search you will see lots of discussion on GPS/Co-Pilot.

First, as I have posted before, it is my opinion that routing along the National Network is not trucker software. To qualify, the program needs to understand City Truck Routes. Otherwise, get a Garmin.

All Co-pilot does is route along the National Network and program in the prohibited roads you would find in the front of the Commerical Atlas. That is not trucking software IMHO.

Second, there are two functions in trip planning. One function is the routing plan. What route am I going to take and how long will it take? Co-Pilot does an OK job here. I wrote software to sumplement Co-Piliot for my trip planning the took into account my hours. The second function is getting from the shipper to a main route and subsequntly from the main route to the receiver. This is where a GPS comes into play. The problem? There are places where there are no signs but a 53 foot trailer has no place. Like bridges, tunnels, overpasses, low trees, etc that a truck will not fit. Also there are places with signs that will get you a $1 per rated pound fine. If you exclusively rely on a GPS and do not plan your route, even with the Co-Pilot version, you will find yourself someday in quite a problem. I followed the GPS directions into the historic district of Vancouver one day. ops:

Just like a pilot never relies on one instrument, a GPS is only one tool of many that provides information for maneuvering off the main road. Just because you have a GPS does not mean you do not call Shippers and Receivers.

I used Co-Pilot and a Garmin GPS to confirm what the shippers and recievers told me and to confirm my position. Nothing more and nothing less.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: GPS should i get one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack fan
im thinking about gettng a german c330 gps thinking it would make life easier not having to keep stoping to read a map whats everyone think
Shucks....why bother with a "map" when you can have a device tell you where and when to turn... :shock: even if it turns you the wrong way on a one way street, under a low overpass, or into a tunnel you are not permitted into..... shucks, sounds like the way to go to me... :x :P :x

I don't have one....except for my boat....and while I find it interesting maybe to have one....I think its pretty unnecessary. I've found that I have a pretty good memory and generally know where I am all the time, within a few miles of a certain place, and don't even think much about where I'm going to fuel.

Look at a GPS in the fog.... yeah, it might be nice to know where the curves are ahead....but relying on a manmade electronic map in fog... :? :? Not much chance in that happening in my world. If I can't see the road and its foggy.....the truck goes into "SHUTDOWN/PARKED mode!! I worry less about my skills than the "dumbass" who is going to drive his/her car under my trailer!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Board Icon

Skywalker...you don't have a GPS...but you want to pretend you are an expert on the subject?

You know what...I use it as a tool only. I don't RELY on anything. So don't make me out to be lame.
The GPS is NOT going to show me the fast approaching taillights.

I'm very happy when people decide to get off the road for any reason. Less trouble for me.
In as far as the fog I described. It was intense for about 5 miles. I am hardly going to wimp out over that....and go tuck my tail at some TS in hopes one day the fog might be cleared away. Same goes for a snow storm, heavy rain...etc. I'm not a daisy Driver....nor do I consider myself a danger to myself or anyone else.

I PLAN my routes. I use customer directions, and my Rand McNally Atlas. I understand there are low bridges...maybe even a road with a Frost Law in effect. I do have commercial based mapping on my laptop...which I sometimes use to PLAN my route. I am the Captain...nothing leads me around by the nose.

As mentioned...the GPS stand alone indicates upcoming road intersections. THAT alone is worth a few bucks! You have no idea how many times I've crept up to an intersection wondering if that is my turn, and it is either dark or stormy and I can not read the road sign...or there is no road sign indicating the name of the road...period.

Recently, I got caught in that big rain storm that flooded much of the East Coast. I saw houses half under water. Off ramps shut down...roads closed. Tell you what...the GPS kept me going. I routed through areas I would have never negotiated through otherwise. I made my delivery, and went and reloaded...where in if it were not for my increased ability to find a way to make it happen...it would not have happened. I was in the Elizabeth, N.J. area. As a Trucker...you must know what I was up against there. Yes it did bring me up to a 12'3" bridge...so I kept going and went around that, too. I kept my eyes open for downed power lines. My GPS would not tell me everything and drive the truck for me. :roll:

Likewise...I have had to reroute on the fly from closures due to road construction. Again...the GPS helps you find your way through detour after detour. No need to be late for any appointment these days with the addition of some simple little techno-gadgets some people seem to have a problem with. They are either afraid they can not figure out how to use it...or they are just ignorant in what they are talking about.

I used a DeLorme laptop system for years with an Earthmate GPS. Now I use a Garmin.
When they come out with a commercial based system...I will upgrade to that. I think these GPS are nice....but yes you can get by without them.

Only thing is...why? So much road construction, or roads closed from accidents...or Highways shut down due to storms...I don't know about you...but I am going to keep rolling. :arrow:
Old 05-04-2007, 03:17 PM

When used all by it's self, it's asking for trouble. for the reasons every one has stated.

When used in conjunction with co directions, atlas, shp/rec directions. It is priceless. Everyone has been there when they were looking for WHATEVER ST. on the left, and no sign, sign is sunbaked etc. Mine has helped as well in bad weather. Even driving 20 mph on a 40+ mph road, still couldn't read the signs due to rain and looked over and saw the street name glowing on my monitor. Sweet :lol:

So get the GPS, just use it with discretion.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Senior Board Member

There are several function on the Garmin Nuvi 660 that aren't covered in the owners manual that I have found just fooling around with it. Once you program your trip you can check it by thumbing through each turn and matching it against your atlas, or you can touch the screen, which gives you a map like an atlas, all the cordianal directions where they are supposed to be, you can hit plus or minus as needed to see your entire route. Just remember it is a small screen so you have to zoom as needed. It will let you set only one waypoint. You can program it or in the above screen you can touch your screen and set any point as a waypoint, meaning you don't need an address. This is helpful in finding stopping points for the night, or routing on a particular route. Much like dragging your route to a different road, though the Garmin doesn't have that function. The other day I had directions with no physical address. I followed the above instructions and the GPS routed me to the exact location.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog
Skywalker...you don't have a GPS...but you want to pretend you are an expert on the subject?
No, I wouldn't call me an "expert".....but I have been using GPS's since Garmin released their first "handheld" commercially for civilian marine use. The thing cost me about $1300.00 back then.... and I am an experienced navigator with both Loran C and GPS. Neither of these instruments are "infallible"

Quote:
You know what...I use it as a tool only. I don't RELY on anything. So don't make me out to be lame.
The GPS is NOT going to show me the fast approaching taillights.
My apologies if you were offended. I was NOT trying to make you appear lame. Hardly. I was just giving a differing viewpoint. Honest... ok?

Quote:
I'm very happy when people decide to get off the road for any reason. Less trouble for me.
In as far as the fog I described. It was intense for about 5 miles. I am hardly going to wimp out over that....and go tuck my tail at some TS in hopes one day the fog might be cleared away. Same goes for a snow storm, heavy rain...etc. I'm not a daisy Driver....nor do I consider myself a danger to myself or anyone else.
You and I probably drive the same and may have the same experience level...I'm over 1,300,000 safe miles..... and while others will leave the roads when I consider it safe to move.... I do tend to get cautious in heavy fog.... especially since I haul a smooth bore tanker.

While you and I may not be bothered by momentary fog, there are people who actually experience "vertigo" when enveloped by fog....and when that happens....bad accidents occur. Also, some people overdrive their skills and that creates accidents. Since this a forum for "new drivers", I am advocating a safer approach to driving for them....rather than encouraging them to play "BBR/Junior Chicken Hauler", then come back here and tell their tale of woe about how a simple little accident in heavy rain/snow/fog that involved 10 to 40 cars and them.... :shock: ended their career.

Quote:
I PLAN my routes. I use customer directions, and my Rand McNally Atlas. I understand there are low bridges...maybe even a road with a Frost Law in effect. I do have commercial based mapping on my laptop...which I sometimes use to PLAN my route. I am the Captain...nothing leads me around by the nose.
And Sir, that is how it is supposed to be. You are doing it the right way! You are using it as a tool!! But go back and look at what the original poster "mack fan" said and you will see the basis of my responses.

Quote:
As mentioned...the GPS stand alone indicates upcoming road intersections. THAT alone is worth a few bucks! You have no idea how many times I've crept up to an intersection wondering if that is my turn, and it is either dark or stormy and I can not read the road sign...or there is no road sign indicating the name of the road...period.
Trust me.... I understand exactly what you are talking about!! If I had a nickel for every missing street name sign I've encountered..... I could buy alot more than a "happy meal".

Quote:
Recently, I got caught in that big rain storm that flooded much of the East Coast. I saw houses half under water. Off ramps shut down...roads closed. Tell you what...the GPS kept me going. I routed through areas I would have never negotiated through otherwise. I made my delivery, and went and reloaded...where in if it were not for my increased ability to find a way to make it happen...it would not have happened. I was in the Elizabeth, N.J. area. As a Trucker...you must know what I was up against there.
Oh yes... I do know, in fact I loaded right down the block from the Super Wally-world there at the first exit off the the 278 by the NJTPK..... and half of that road was blocked to the north of the 278....

Quote:
Likewise...I have had to reroute on the fly from closures due to road construction. Again...the GPS helps you find your way through detour after detour. No need to be late for any appointment these days with the addition of some simple little techno-gadgets some people seem to have a problem with. They are either afraid they can not figure out how to use it...or they are just ignorant in what they are talking about.

I used a DeLorme laptop system for years with an Earthmate GPS. Now I use a Garmin.
When they come out with a commercial based system...I will upgrade to that. I think these GPS are nice....but yes you can get by without them.

Only thing is...why? So much road construction, or roads closed from accidents...or Highways shut down due to storms...I don't know about you...but I am going to keep rolling. :arrow:
I do my darnedest to keep rolling and get my job done... but again, there is a difference between you and I and a few others hereabouts.... we are experienced. We have some pretty heavy intrinsic knowledge of most all of the country, and where we can and cannot go with a truck, and we also have the knowledge to automatically consult several different sources of information "before" we make a move and go off half-cocked down the road. You and I also probably make several enroute "checks" if the route is unfamiliar..... So please understand that my posts are not specifically addressed at you....they are "generic" posts intended to plant a seed of caution in those who have less experience or none at all. You and I both know that a serious "tool" in the hands of the inexperienced is worse than no tool at all.

I would just hate to see neophytes run out and purchase a GPS, that doesn't even have "truck routing" in it and "overuse" it.....and what will happen if DOD ever decides its necessary to engage the "SA" feature?

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.