LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2007, 11:25 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
. I will stick with my map.
From what I have read, you could get into trouble with an 18 wheeler using GPS. They may sometimes route you on roads you cannot travel.
And maps tell you what roads are truck,weight, or hieght restricted.
just my $0.02
Old 05-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilici
Thankfully though I don't need to learn a lesson since one of my biggest fears is taking a curve too fast, I tend to take them rather slow.
You can take a curve "too slow" everytime,but you can only take it "too fast" once.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:32 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack fan
im thinking about gettng a german c330 gps thinking it would make life easier not having to keep stoping to read a map whats everyone think
Going back to the original question.
I think having a GPS is a valuable tool, when used for planned navigation. This means, yes you won't need to stop and read the map, if you have the route already laid out and have advanced knowledge of where you are going.
You must have your destination address, and call the customer for "their directions." They have local knowledge of the paths to take that are Truck friendly, what possible route are closed or detoured, etc. Many times the address given on your BOL is a mailing address, or an office location, and not the location they even want you to arrive at. They will also give you other useful information, like what gate to pull into, or staging area, etc.

Now...be forewarned...I have had customers lead me into trouble. Telling me to make a left at the second traffic light...when it should have been the first traffic light. YOU CAN NOT RELY ON ANY ONE SOURCE.
For some odd reason unknown to all mankind....59.7% of all directions given by a woman...are going to be the worst directions even GOD ALMIGHTY would get lost with. Not to mention...they do not give directions with "names of roads" but rather...turn at the Yellow House with the white flower boxes, then when you see a Church on your left, you've gone too far...so look for a blue mailbox...bla bla bla bla bla, etc. etc. etc. and after 3 minutes you feel like an idiot for even trying to write her crap down.

Plan your route with a good Road Atlas...like a Motor Carrier Rand McNally. I also use a laptop mapping system called PC Miler. These will give you the best street level layouts. Invaluable when you try negotiating Cities.

Finally, write your planned route down on ...say a stick'em and paste it to your dash. Good quick reference. My method is a clip I have mounted to the left windshield column next to my steering wheel. I clip a small piece of paper with my route, and I can easily glance at it to remind myself of upcoming turns.

Now if you have a GPS laptop system, or a stand alone...either will call out turns for you, and/or provide other handy reference.
Some people seem to think that if you have a GPS system...it is suppose to led you around by the nose. Ironic how the GPS is also showing ignorance. :roll: It's not even part of it's programing. :lol:

Here is the deal...some might be surprised to learn. It has an on/off switch. :? You really only use it when you want to or feel you need to...like we have been saying ...a tool.
For the most part...I never even need mine for many of my destinations. The routes are so simple and direct. Couple turns off the interstate...and I'm at my destination. So...why bother with the obvious.

It comes in handy...in many situations, and there are times, when it saves your butt just that one time...you feel it was well worth the $400. You don't need it even then...but by God it can make you breathe easy, and not stress out...and save money on Prilosec.

Overall...my own planned routes are far superior to the current GPS routing. For one thing...these are non-com based. I've tested mine out a number of times in a challenge to see who plans the better route...and I win every time. PERIOD.
But my GPS wins hands down when my route gets unexpected changes, and I do not wish to pull out the maps and make phone calls, or fire up my laptop.
For one thing...I never use mine between Cities. Why bother?...unless I am in a serious storm with poor visibility. As I mentioned earlier...these things can give you some aid. Ask anyone that has one...not the guy's who don't own one and just wanna blow hard with a puffed chest.

These units will get more and more intelligent and accurate, as the market grows. More and more companies are making these things and competing for your business. This summer Seimens VDO is coming out with a commercial based mapping system for truckers and offering it on the Cobra GPS stand alone. You can also upgrade your own system with a computer, and add your own stops, waypoints, TS's, and pertinent info, as you wish.

Buy a little stand alone GPS, to get started. One that gives voice commands is going to cost at least $350. Get a Rand McNally Motor Carrier Road Atlas. You can buy last years issue at any Truck Stop for under $20...or at places like Sam's Club.
I like the Garmin best.
When Cobra comes out with the Trucker mapping...Garmin and all the others will be quickly following in behind.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:03 AM
Senior Board Member

I just got the Garmin C340 (step up from the 330). I love it! Love it! Love it! (I can't say it enough).

Especially in HHG, where its hard finding the house, and the shipper usually doesn't know how to get me in. Mapuest is a joke. As far as a distraction, its not. It speakes to you and tells you when to turn and what lane to be in, ect. These are the greatest things since sliced bread. My Dad, driving 30 years, just got one and loves it like Pamela Andersons twin sister. I figured he'd tell me "those are for idiots that can't read a map!" but I was shocked he went and got one.

"Turn righ on main street in .7 miles"
"Proceed 1.3 miles to park street then take a left"

It goes on and on.....best $400 I spent in a while..... :wink:
Old 05-06-2007, 01:36 AM

The company I'll be driving for in the next few weeks, will have them in every company truck -standard-. but I agree with the point of not knowing "low bridges" or "truck routes" But every little bit helps....
Old 05-06-2007, 02:31 AM
Senior Board Member

I'll wait till a truck software package comes with one,...until then, a map will do fine.
Don't get me wrong,...I love new technology,.....but it has to be effective and productive before I'll go for it.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:03 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I have the Garmin Nuvi and if it broke today I would buy another one in a heart beat. When your getting close to the street you need to turn onto it shows you every single street your passing with the one you need to turn on highlighted.

Did you ever go through NY on 95? Sounds simple huh? Well it's not. 95 goes this way and that way and if your not paying attention your off on an exit ramp to another road. My GPS will tell me to get over into the left lane or right if there's a chance I could take the wrong turn.

You do need directions to the customer site though. The GPS will take you on a wild goose chase some times. Like having you get off the highway onto your destination road 20 miles before you need to when there's a closer exit down the road.

As soon as I pass the exit or road the GPS wants me to take it recalculates and most of the time matches the customer directions. At that point I can just sit back and turn when it says. It is such an invaluable tool for not having to hunt for a street sign. You can just drive.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't trust the technology. The best thing I have found is my Rand McNally and a phone call to the shipper or receiver. From what everyone is posting, the technology is right most times, wrong some times. Until it is correct 100% of the time, I will stick to the old fashioned way. A Rand McNally and phone call. If I spend money on something, I expect it to be accurate ALL the time. I still think it can be a distraction. It would be like having a TV sitting on the dash.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I don't trust the technology. The best thing I have found is my Rand McNally and a phone call to the shipper or receiver. From what everyone is posting, the technology is right most times, wrong some times. Until it is correct 100% of the time, I will stick to the old fashioned way. A Rand McNally and phone call. If I spend money on something, I expect it to be accurate ALL the time. I still think it can be a distraction. It would be like having a TV sitting on the dash.
Is a cell phone 100% reliable? Not in some areas. Is a cb 100% reliable? Not if you're the only one around. As for it being like a TV, I guess it is. However it's a really boring show that's always on with a lot of repeats.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Rookie

We had a Garmin for a short time.

There was a section in the options for truck routes -- we were assuming that would make sure the thing avoids roads / underpasses that a truck couldn't go on. Anyone know for sure?