Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Ize
Quote:
Do you (or anyone) know how to load the POI's? I have the garmin C340 and down loaded the Flying J POI's but could not get them to load on my unit.
Go to the Garmin extras page at http://www8.garmin.com/extras/ and download and install the POI loader. Connect your GPS or SD card to your computer, run the POI loader, show it where your file is and it will upload your POI file.
been there done that.......when I go to download the file from my pc to the unit via the POI Leader, it tells me that it is "invalid". :x
What file type is the Flying J file? Is it .CSV or .GPX? My POI files are mostly .CSV and the loader has no problem with them. Are you telling the loader to put them on the gps internal memory or an SD card?
Old 05-17-2007, 03:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
What file type is the Flying J file? Is it .CSV or .GPX? My POI files are mostly .CSV and the loader has no problem with them. Are you telling the loader to put them on the gps internal memory or an SD card?
it is a .CSV file and I am attempting to load it directly to the units internal memory. But as I stated before, when I try via the POI Leader program, it just tells me that it's an "invalid" file. I called Garmins tech support and he stated that he could not assist me because they do not support 3rd party POI's. He did tell me that it must be a .CSV file and NOT on excell. I went and looked at the file, and sure enough, it's on excell :?
Old 05-17-2007, 05:00 PM

At this point I would try downloading another file and see if that will load. Be sure to use the latest version of the POI Loader program. This website http://www.poi-factory.com/ has lots of files and the Flying J file from them works fine for me.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
At this point I would try downloading another file and see if that will load. Be sure to use the latest version of the POI Loader program. This website http://www.poi-factory.com/ has lots of files and the Flying J file from them works fine for me.
well that was the trick!! Thanks Snake. I downloaded a POI converter program thingy and now I can upload the POI's in my Garmin with no problems. I even compiled a complete list of Flying J's, Pilot's, Petro's, TA's, & Loves and got them all uploaded in one file. Thanks again for the guidance.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
well that was the trick!! Thanks Snake. I downloaded a POI converter program thingy and now I can upload the POI's in my Garmin with no problems. I even compiled a complete list of Flying J's, Pilot's, Petro's, TA's, & Loves and got them all uploaded in one file. Thanks again for the guidance.
Great! Glad to hear it worked for you. I did the same with the individual files and made one called Truck Stops. They also have files for weigh stations and low clearances. If you load them using the manual mode you can have it alert you when you are at a chosen distance from them.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
They also have files for weigh stations and low clearances. If you load them using the manual mode you can have it alert you when you are at a chosen distance from them.
I did not see the weigh station or low clearances but will look for them. Are you saying that it will automatically alert you when one is coming up? If so, how did you get it to do that?
Old 05-19-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
They also have files for weigh stations and low clearances. If you load them using the manual mode you can have it alert you when you are at a chosen distance from them.
I did not see the weigh station or low clearances but will look for them. Are you saying that it will automatically alert you when one is coming up? If so, how did you get it to do that?
Yes, you can set it up to automatically alert you. Look at the help file in the POI Loader program. It gives all the info you will need to set it up for proximity alerts.