Old 02-15-2007, 12:46 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilici
Hey rev, I thought you have a fresh day after that 2 hour break when splitting? From what you are saying you can only drive for as long as you drove for your first on duty driving then? Before you took you 8 hour?

If that is the case then I must give myself a big OOPS!!! :?

please let me know, so I do not do it in the future.
As ssoutlaw said, once you start split sleeper berth, the only thing that will stop it is 10 hours or more off duty or sleeper berth. You must always add up the on duty time and driving time on each side of the break. Once that total equals 11 hours of driving time, you must stop, and take a break that would equal 10 hours (calculated by subtracting the last portion of sleeper break from 10). The 14 hour rule also applies. When you take the 2 hour break, the 14 hour clock does not stop. When you take the 8 hour break, the 14 hour clock stops for that 8 hours, but then starts back up when you go on duty again.

The split sleeper break is not designed so that you can get around the 11/14 hour rule. It is designed to give you an opportunity to use a break of less than 10 hours, but more than 2 hours, as part of your sleeper berth time.
Rev: I am not sure but the way I read the statement in red is that the ON-DUTY & driving could not total more than 11 hours. This is not true. Only the DRIVING time can not total more than 11 hours prior.

The 11 Hour rule only applies to DRIVING time!

The 14 hour rule applies to lines 1,2,3 & 4!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:34 AM
Board Icon

Okay, before THIS gets out of hand between the Rev and Dawn, let me just say that I had responded to the Rev WITH A CORRECTION to his ealier post an hour or so ago. Unfortunately, it got lost when I got a PM and apparently forgot to hit SEND before answering the PM.

The REV is getting deeper and deeper off base here. Dawn is jumping on it, but probably not saying it right either!

If you two want ot "go at it" again.... I'll just sit and watch!

If you want ME to straighten this mess out.... take a breath!

It is probably BEST that my post was "lost," because MOST of you probably couldn't follow it anyway. But, I'll try to compose it again, more simply, if you take a breather.

If not.... I really couldn't care less!

As for the original poster... I THINK he got about as much info as he could digest for now. He OBVIOUSLY didn't do a search for this topic, or he'd have gotten his answer and never needed to waste our time!

But, I say again.... it would be nice if those of "us" who deign to give absolute advice, would make sure we were saying the right things FIRST!!

For instance.... the total hours "on duty" on either side of ANY or EITHER break DO NOT HAVE TO TOTAL 14 HOURS!!!!

I think Dawn is right "most" of the time.... but doesn't know how to speak English. The REV is right "most" of the time.... but missed THIS one by a good mile or so!

It happens to the best of us, Rev! RE-read your intitial answer, then check the regs! I KNOW you know better than what you spoke FIRST AND in what Dawn has highlighted in RED!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:39 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Okay, before THIS gets out of hand between the Rev and Dawn, let me just say that I had responded to the Rev WITH A CORRECTION to his ealier post an hour or so ago. Unfortunately, it got lost when I got a PM and apparently forgot to hit SEND before answering the PM.

The REV is getting deeper and deeper off base here. Dawn is jumping on it, but probably not saying it right either!

If you two want ot "go at it" again.... I'll just sit and watch!

If you want ME to straighten this mess out.... take a breath!

It is probably BEST that my post was "lost," because MOST of you probably couldn't follow it anyway. But, I'll try to compose it again, more simply, if you take a breather.

If not.... I really couldn't care less!

As for the original poster... I THINK he got about as much info as he could digest for now. He OBVIOUSLY didn't do a search for this topic, or he'd have gotten his answer and never needed to waste our time!

But, I say again.... it would be nice if those of "us" who deign to give absolute advice, would make sure we were saying the right things FIRST!!

For instance.... the total hours "on duty" on either side of ANY or EITHER break DO NOT HAVE TO TOTAL 14 HOURS!!!!

I think Dawn is right "most" of the time.... but doesn't know how to speak English. The REV is right "most" of the time.... but missed THIS one by a good mile or so!

It happens to the best of us, Rev! RE-read your intitial answer, then check the regs! I KNOW you know better than what you spoke FIRST AND in what Dawn has highlighted in RED!
Yes Golf I agree with you actually, I will say I am not good at english and admitted that right off the bat . I was just correcting the issue I found incorrect on the post and was not elaborating, but did offer my assistance to the original poster with a powerpoint to help him out!

I also agree many people mess up and type wrong & speak wrong or possibly the person took it wrong, this is why I stated in the first place "if I read it correctly"! I do not always acuse people and attack; I know people mess up and agree!

Thanks Golf I am not here to argue, but I am here to help and well if my drivers was reading this I would want them to understand that is not correct so they could make more money! That's what I am about you making money (drivers) and being legal
Old 02-15-2007, 01:57 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Hours of Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibb
I have been told by a few drivers that you can split your sleeper berth still? I have always thought that once your 14 hour clock starts nothing can extend it except a 10 hour break 8 hours sleeper and 2 hours off duty before or after your sleeper time. Can someone clarify this for me.
Read this thread and you will see why split logging is not advised. Why take the effort and risk of slpit logging when one of the sleeper berths has to be 8 hours. Might as well take the 10 hour break and start over fresh on the HOS. Most companies look at it the same way....let me clarify...companies that want their drivers to run legal look at it that way.

I don't think that you gain anything split logging anymore, so I would advise against doing it.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:49 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn
Quote:
Quote:
Hey rev, I thought you have a fresh day after that 2 hour break when splitting? From what you are saying you can only drive for as long as you drove for your first on duty driving then? Before you took you 8 hour?

As ssoutlaw said, once you start split sleeper berth, the only thing that will stop it is 10 hours or more off duty or sleeper berth. You must always add up the on duty time and driving time on each side of the break. Once that total equals 11 hours of driving time, you must stop, and take a break that would equal 10 hours (calculated by subtracting the last portion of sleeper break from 10). The 14 hour rule also applies. When you take the 2 hour break, the 14 hour clock does not stop. When you take the 8 hour break, the 14 hour clock stops for that 8 hours, but then starts back up when you go on duty again.

The split sleeper break is not designed so that you can get around the 11/14 hour rule. It is designed to give you an opportunity to use a break of less than 10 hours, but more than 2 hours, as part of your sleeper berth time.
Rev: I am not sure but the way I read the statement in red is that the ON-DUTY & driving could not total more than 11 hours. This is not true. Only the DRIVING time can not total more than 11 hours prior.

The 11 Hour rule only applies to DRIVING time!

The 14 hour rule applies to lines 1,2,3 & 4!
Perhaps you should read more carefully, Dawn. :lol:

Quote:
You must always add up the on duty time and driving time on each side of the break. Once that total equals 11 hours of driving time, you must stop, and take a break that would equal 10 hours (calculated by subtracting the last portion of sleeper break from 10). The 14 hour rule also applies. When you take the 2 hour break, the 14 hour clock does not stop. When you take the 8 hour break, the 14 hour clock stops for that 8 hours, but then starts back up when you go on duty again.
As you can see (or at least anyone who reads the entire thing can see), I noted the difference between the two.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:02 AM
Board Icon

No, REV: When the two portions of your day (on either side of any break) equal 11 hours of driving time, you DO have to stop "DRIVING" ..... but you do NOT have to take a 10 hour break (or even the remainder of same!) You COULD go onto line 4 and work the docks for a delivery or a load up.

Your earlier "misquote" was about how the hours on either side of a break MUST NOT EXCEED 14 hours. This is simply not true.... as I'm sure you will realize if you re-read YOUR earlier post. I've seen Safety Directors make this same mistake..... saying that the TOTAL HOURS of "on duty" before and after a "split break" must not exceed 14 hours. There is NO SUCH REG. You can be "on duty not driving for two friggin days if you want to be! You just can't DRIVE after the 14 hour "window" until you've fulfilled the 10 hour requirement, one way or the other.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:13 AM
Board Regular

i always start laughing when i scroll down and see the skull.i can almost see it talking to me.then i scroll some more and see the back side of the horse and its almost too much.im freakin out!
Old 02-15-2007, 03:18 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
No, REV: When the two portions of your day (on either side of any break) equal 11 hours of driving time, you DO have to stop "DRIVING" ..... but you do NOT have to take a 10 hour break (or even the remainder of same!) You COULD go onto line 4 and work the docks for a delivery or a load up.
I wasn't aware that the original poster was asking about dock time, deliveries, or loading up, especially since he was specifically talking about DRIVING. :roll:

As I stated (ad nauseum), once the total on each side of the break equals 11 hours, you must stop driving, and the same holds true for the 14 hour rule.

Quote:
Your earlier "misquote" was about how the hours on either side of a break MUST NOT EXCEED 14 hours. This is simply not true.... as I'm sure you will realize if you re-read YOUR earlier post. I've seen Safety Directors make this same mistake..... saying that the TOTAL HOURS of "on duty" before and after a "split break" must not exceed 14 hours. There is NO SUCH REG. You can be "on duty not driving for two friggin days if you want to be! You just can't DRIVE after the 14 hour "window" until you've fulfilled the 10 hour requirement, one way or the other.
You are reading something into my original answer that isn't there, golfhobo. The 14 hour rule applies ONLY to DRIVING, whether you are splitting your sleeper berth or not. If you can show me where I stated otherwise, please do so. The 14 hour rule does not apply to dock work, loading, unloading, etc. I never stated it did.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:18 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So if I start driving at midnite drive for 5 hours take a 8 hour break I can drive again at 1pm and drive for 6 more hours and then take a 2 hour break and I will be legal?
Yes. But after the 2 hour break, you can only drive for 5 hours (add the driving hours on each side of the 2 hour break) before you must take AT LEAST another 8 hour break.

You've got the basic idea.

jmilici: I'm sorry that your question got lost in the scuffle. If I understand you correctly, you THOUGHT that after one took the 2 hour break to "complete" the split, you would "reset" your clocks and get all 11/14 again?

That is NOT correct. The ONLY way to get ALL your hours back is to take the full 10 hour break at one time. It doesn't ALL (or any of it) have to be in the sleeper. But, when "splitting" this 10 hour break into two parts ( one being 8 hours in the sleeper, and the other being 2 hours "consecutively" in any way you wish - but NOT attatched to the 8 hour S/B break,) you must "alternate" the driving hours between each of those two breaks. i.e: If you drive 6 then break for 8, you can drive 5 then break for 2. THEN.... you can ONLY drive 6 again before taking an 8 hour break, then 5 again after! The difference is whether the break is OFF the clock (8 hour S/B) or ON the clock.. 2 hour break.

Your post indicated that you believed that after taking the second break (fulfilling the 10 hour requirement,) that you got a full CLOCK back. That is not true. The REV was indeed correct in his response.... and I believe you "got it." I just wanted to confirm for you that he said indeed that. YOU are NOT "legal" to run another 11/14 hour clock after taking the second of ANY "split" breaks.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:23 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So if I start driving at midnite drive for 5 hours take a 8 hour break I can drive again at 1pm and drive for 6 more hours and then take a 2 hour break and I will be legal?
Yes. But after the 2 hour break, you can only drive for 5 hours (add the driving hours on each side of the 2 hour break) before you must take AT LEAST another 8 hour break.

You've got the basic idea.

jmilici: I'm sorry that your question got lost in the scuffle. If I understand you correctly, you THOUGHT that after one took the 2 hour break to "complete" the split, you would "reset" your clocks and get all 11/14 again?

That is NOT correct. The ONLY way to get ALL your hours back is to take the full 10 hour break at one time. It doesn't ALL (or any of it) have to be in the sleeper. But, when "splitting" this 10 hour break into two parts ( one being 8 hours in the sleeper, and the other being 2 hours "consecutively" in any way you wish - but NOT attatched to the 8 hour S/B break,) you must "alternate" the driving hours between each of those two breaks. i.e: If you drive 6 then break for 8, you can drive 5 then break for 2. THEN.... you can ONLY drive 6 again before EITHER an 8 or a 2 hour break, then 5 again after! The difference is whether the break is OFF the clock (8 hour S/B) or ON the clock.. 2 hour break.

Your post indicated that you believed that after taking the second break (fulfilling the 10 hour requirement,) that you got a full CLOCK back. That is not true. The REV was indeed correct in his response.... and I believe you "got it." I just wanted to confirm for you that he said indeed that. YOU are NOT "legal" to run another 11/14 hour clock after taking the second of ANY "split" breaks.
Just wanted to put that in bigger letters. :lol: